CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#1721 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

I guess I'm saying there's an oddness to it, but I'm liking the oddness when I regard it in those terms.

#1722 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:14 PM

I want to like this compromise, but I just can't (yet) get over what might (and should) have been for this site.

#1723 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Jon, I’m saving this for you when you have a spot for it.

A21E4DCB-E28A-4A43-BE75-E1254A1E3347.jpeg
  • sebberry likes this

#1724 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

Excellent!

Here is the Open House Content:

https://www.dropbox....Boards.pdf?dl=0

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1725 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

The only thing that I'm wondering about is the modern glazing on the units in the brick-clad sections. Did you consider "heritage-style" glazing for those units?

Edited by aastra, 26 May 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#1726 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

The context images show us how small this building will be in sheer terms. Also, I sure hope the city has a reasonable plan for all of that green space down there. It could be a great little city park (emphasis on the "city" aspect) if they do it right.

#1727 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

....I sure hope the city has a reasonable plan for all of that green space down there. It could be a great little city park (emphasis on the "city" aspect) if they do it right.

LOL! Like the CoV has shown it has any real vision for the area around the JSB. The last thing this area needs is more empty, univiting "people spaces". Reeson Park and the plazas around the new bridge are all the evidence I need that nothing good will come about here if left to the City.

We lost our only real hope for the best use of this space when the CoV backed away from selling the land to the developer. All we'll get now is a compromised development and a useless strip of land straddling the roadways between Wharf and the NJ buildings.

#1728 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

Excellent!

Here is the Open House Content:

https://www.dropbox....Boards.pdf?dl=0

I wonder if someone can help me with this. The article linked above was penned on Thursday May 16 and it refers to an open house on Wednesday but does not depict which Wednesday. Would it be the Wednesday following the article ie Wednesday May 22? 

Did I miss the open house? 

#1729 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

Right.

The public is invited to attend a May 22nd info session between 4:30 and 7PM at 1607 Douglas Street.

#1730 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

^ Thank you, I thought that might be the case. 

I can't see why Jon posted on May 26 a link to a May 22 open house ?

#1731 RelianceProperties

RelianceProperties
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:51 AM

Northern Junk Pre-Application Open House Video:

https://www.reliance...ion-open-house/

#1732 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

Are we keeping the new proposal in this thread?

There is a brand new rezoning application with the drawings on the Dev Tracker: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00701

#1733 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

Here you go: https://vibrantvicto...proposed/page-5

• E2V likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1734 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

If a new thread is started can it be named "The Missed Opportunity" or perhaps "The Unfortunate Compromise"?

#1735 intheknow

intheknow
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

From my perspective, this is the best proposal so far. Doing this doesn’t preclude doing something On the adjacent site. And by doing something on the adjacent site I’m not suggesting a park. The city lands are really a civic site. They should be preserved for a public building; Art gallery, library, maritime museum, or even Uvic satellite site- anything but privatized for residential or a park. Building on the existing footprint preserves the scale of buildings in old town, which every other proposal compromised. The pseudo bay centre design from Merick, that many seem to favour, was yet another underwhelming building that squarely belonged to a provincial backwater town, fearful of contemplating anything of a contemporary identity for a maturing city. Weak watered down Rubbish. This proposal on the other hand does a pretty stellar job of melding with the existing buildings, even though they do overwhelm them. I think if they were any smaller though, they’d look out of place in this context, incongruent with the street scape and inconsistent with the buildings that currently front the harbour. I think it’s high time the city stop conceding to the heritage prioritization and do something for the public realm in this space.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#1736 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:31 PM

I respectfully disagree with the above, mostly because there is zero evidence that the CoV has even the slightest clue as to how to properly develop its public realm spaces, especially those at or near the waterfront.

I offer the following as proof:

• Ogden Point
  • International Maritime Terminal (aka the Coho & Clipper terminal properties)
  • Ship Point
  • the lower Wharf Street parking lots
  • the "surplus" lands around the Johnson Street Bridge

All except the last are nearly identical to what they were when I moved to the region 41 years ago. I can see no reason to believe the Northern Junk public lands will experience any better fate. A generation from now this area will almost certainly look much as it does today.

• zoomer likes this

#1737 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

Some of the largest buildings in downtown Victoria are in Old Town, though.

The Belmont Building, the Bay Centre, the Central Building, the Yarrow Building, the Empress of course, City Hall, Swans, the Regent Hotel, the Duck’s Building, the Federal Building, etc. There are many buildings already present which would have been on the same if not a larger scale than the various Northern Junk proposals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1738 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

I completely agree that this iteration is the best use of the Northern Junk property. It fits in with the scope of the waterfront in that area, and leaves the bridge delta exposed. Much better. That said, it may be wise to leave the piece of public property fallow for the time being, until this Council are long gone. What should go in that space? I would love to hear creative ideas.

• Brantastic likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1739 intheknow

intheknow
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

To be clear, the City doesn't own:

• Ogden Point (GVHA)
  • International Maritime Terminal (aka the Coho & Clipper terminal properties) (GVHA)
  • the lower Wharf Street parking lots (Province)

It only owns Ship point and the surplus lands that have just come available around the Johnson St bridge. And yes I'd agree what has been done to date re. the surplus JSB lands is underwhelming but I am aware that these areas are far from complete. see link to festival Park- https://www.johnsons...tivalPark-1.jpg

Although- I'd agree the surplus lands could be better utilized. On another note- the same ol rhetoric about an incompetent City does nothing to help advance design competency City Wide. In fact, I think it does the exact opposite and until that changes- nothing else will.

• DougG likes this

#1740 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:04 AM

...It only owns Ship point and the surplus lands that have just come available around the Johnson St bridge. And yes I'd agree what has been done to date re. the surplus JSB lands is underwhelming but I am aware that these areas are far from complete...

Based on what has been developed to date I see no reason to be optimistic about the future of this or any other public realm space in which the CoV has any influence. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users