Photo

General Heritage Discussion

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#401 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

I am not sure I saw any sort of stove in that kitchen...and that bathroom... ay carumba!  :eek:

I go to a lot of estate sales and you see tons of old houses like that. Everything original except for the kitchen and bathroom which was "updated" in the '80s. Then at some point in the 90s NOTHING gets updated. It remains frozen in time for the next 20 years until the poor owners die of old age. The good thing is the good stuff is saved. I'm sure that amazing old-growth fir flooring will give a new owner joy for another century.

#402 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

Restoration-underway-at-Government-Street-federal-complex.jpg
A heritage restoration of downtown Victoria's P.L James Place federal office complex, situated on Government Street between Yates Street and Bastion Square, is now underway. The building was built in 1950 and is named in honour of the architect.

Restoration underway at Government Street federal complex

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#403 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

holy crap i am i the only one who didn't see this coming? are there renderings of what it will look like? are they doing anything to the yates street side?

d-05210_141.jpg
http://search-bcarch...of-intersection

it looked really 50s originally, in a good way, but i'm glad they opened up the ground floor where eddie bauer is now

d-05213_141.jpg
http://search-bcarch...-see-hp068131-2

#404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

No renderings. The architectural work has been award to a Montreal-based outfit, but I don't think there are going to be any spectacular changes beyond a freshening of the exterior. Electrical, fire alarm and mechanical (elevators, etc.) upgrades are all to be undertaken.

I think we've got a couple of members on here who work in the building? They may have more info.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

...it looked really 50s originally, in a good way..

Agreed. You almost expect to see George Reeves (as Clark Kent) sidling up to one of these registration windows trying to get some sort of scoop for the Daily Planet.

• gstc84 likes this

#406 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

I remember it as a post office in the 80s looking like the photo above--but not quite as empty and barren. Then for a few years it was used as the unemployment office in the 90s, then it was cleared out and used a couple of times to put on huge art exhibitions. I wonder what happened to all that black marble?

#407 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

I used the back loading dock when it was a post office, one of my jobs was to pick up mail bags. Late 80’s and very early 90’s.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#408 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

..I wonder what happened to all that black marble?

Now why do I seem to think the marble was dark green?

#409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

The building underwent an architectural change in 1994 that gave us the Government Street frontage we know today (the awning, repurposing the old post office, etc.).

Know it all.

#410 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

one of my jobs was to pick up mail bags. Late 80’s and very early 90’s.

That's G-55 on your VHF Job Bingo scorecard.

Now why do I seem to think the marble was dark green?

You are probably correct.

• Matt R. likes this

#411 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

The format of the original ground floor was a real slap in the face to Government Street, especially compared to what it replaced. But the 1990s fixes worked wonders. The corner portion could still be a lot better, however.

#412 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Unfortunately that corner is still utilized as functioning office space, so it will not be changing
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#413 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

An extensive RBCM article on the 1976 excavation of a shell midden near Capital Iron:

http://staff.royalbc.../human-history/

Capture.JPG

#414 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

An extensive RBCM article on the 1976 excavation of a shell midden near Capital Iron:

http://staff.royalbc.../human-history/

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

File under "Things that would take about four times as long today" (which is a good thing).

#415 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

The tax holiday for Customs House passed. But the usual two opppsed it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#416 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

^These are the questions I  would've asked:

• What is the total value of the tax holiday (how much revenue is the City losing)?
  • Is this holiday needed to ensure the financial viability of this project?
  • Is in needed to ensure strong sales of the units by making them more affordable?
  • What is the developer's plan if the holiday is not granted?

#417 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

^And by "affordable" I don't mean accessible to entry-level or low income buyers, I mean affordable as in presenting a fair market value for the dollar.

#418 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

Coleman says it’s only a deferral and we get all lost revenue back by year 18 or so.

And we are trying to upgrade buildings to dave them from the quake regardless of the use.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 February 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#419 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:32 AM

Wait, so these tax breaks on heritage properties are merely deferrals, or just in this case?

Know it all.

#420 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

Wait, so these tax breaks on heritage properties are merely deferrals, or just in this case?

Yeah, this seemed like new information, but perhaps it was never expressed in these terms before.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users