Photo

Moon Under Water Brewery and Distillery, pub and tasting room | 350 Bay Street

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#281 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

I was there a couple weeks ago on a weeknight. The waitress told us they are doing table service all the time now.

Yes, we were there last night. Food was good, and we won both rounds of quiz night. So have $50 to spend the next time we go!

I agree about the atmosphere. It's the lighting or something. :squint:

#282 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

The Moon has just featured a Couvon deal ($8 for $16 worth of food or $16 for $32) and have some great new beers courtesy of the new ownership. Now open Sundays again. Give it a shot!

#283 TheMoonUnderWater

TheMoonUnderWater
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hey Redd42.
It's been a crazy few months and you know, as a business owner, how some details can get missed. I had actually attached a %15 off coupon to all of the menus that I handed out that day but it's completely possible that yours fell off or got lost along the way. If that's the case my apologies and the offer (although you didn't know it existed) still stands! As for drinking at Hoyne, they make great beer and are amazing people! At least I know you haven't been working late drinking bad beer... the very thought makes me shudder.
If you're ever looking to try us again, you know where we are. Currently, we're still closed Monday and Tuesday but that may not last for much longer...
Cheers!

#284 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Belated welcome to VV, Moon, and we're glad to have your input :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#285 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hey Redd42.
It's been a crazy few months and you know, as a business owner, how some details can get missed. I had actually attached a %15 off coupon to all of the menus that I handed out that day but it's completely possible that yours fell off or got lost along the way. If that's the case my apologies and the offer (although you didn't know it existed) still stands! As for drinking at Hoyne, they make great beer and are amazing people! At least I know you haven't been working late drinking bad beer... the very thought makes me shudder.
If you're ever looking to try us again, you know where we are. Currently, we're still closed Monday and Tuesday but that may not last for much longer...
Cheers!

This is going to sound rude....but you know, maybe we did get that 15% coupon....and the reason I don't remember it is because that is pretty lame! A 15% discount is definitely not enough to make me try a place a 2nd time that I really disliked the first time. For someone like me who would only have one pint and some food, 15% is only a couple of bucks. But you were only willing to invest a couple of bucks to attract our business?

We could have become regulars since we are in the neighbourhood. When we were downtown, we went to Swan's all the time. We had our favourite waitress who didn't even need to ask us what were going to order.

#286 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

This is going to sound rude....but you know, maybe we did get that 15% coupon....and the reason I don't remember it is because that is pretty lame! A 15% discount is definitely not enough to make me try a place a 2nd time that I really disliked the first time. For someone like me who would only have one pint and some food, 15% is only a couple of bucks. But you were only willing to invest a couple of bucks to attract our business?

We could have become regulars since we are in the neighbourhood. When we were downtown, we went to Swan's all the time. We had our favourite waitress who didn't even need to ask us what were going to order.

This is what I hate about Victorians. Always with their hands out! Buck up, give the new guys a chance and if you don't like it don't go back (ever!). These people are trying to make a go of it in a very difficult business, in a very difficult economy and at a very difficult time of year and you want to reduce their profit margins with hugh discounts.

Local independent businesses (not national chains) deserve local support without them having to "bribe" us in the door. Let their abilities and product speak for themselves. Once you are a "regular" I am sure they will give you some discounts now and then when they are able to.

#287 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

a weekly cask night is a good enough reason to keep going back

#288 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

You were right - it did sound rude.

So a 20% off coupon would have got you in the door to maybe become a regular, per your post on Sept. 30th, but 15% is lame. So you can be bribed for another 50 cents.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#289 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

This is what I hate about Victorians. Always with their hands out! Buck up, give the new guys a chance and if you don't like it don't go back (ever!). These people are trying to make a go of it in a very difficult business, in a very difficult economy and at a very difficult time of year and you want to reduce their profit margins with hugh discounts.

Wow....totally wrong criticism......

New guys??? This pub has been open a couple of years....suprisingly. We tried it when it first opened...we wanted to like it..... and we hated it...for all the reasons I mentioned previously....

Lots of places around town do 2 for 1s on the slow days....or at the slow season like right now.....as long as I like a place I don't care about the discount....I get my hair cut at a place I like...they gave me a discount recently just because I keep going there without a Groupon......but we really disliked the Moon and told this young lady when she showed up in our place of business.....and 15% off a very small bill is not enough to get us to try it again....

In my opinion, the 15% coupon was just indicative of how the previous owners had approached the business, with the do it yourself furniture.....you have to invest quality in a business for it to succeed...

#290 mik

mik
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

I have been to the MUW a few times now. Service - very good. Each time I have seen all four family members/owners busy working, but all made the time to make me feel welcome. The new beers - outstanding. The weizenbock is killer! Food - I have not tried yet.
I'll be back at least once a week (It would be far more often if it was closer to home). No discount needed.

Redd42 - can you please tell me what small business you own? It would be good to know that if I need your product or service I can expect at least 20% off...or I am never dealing with your company. (Hope that didn't sound rude).

#291 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Wow....totally wrong criticism......

New guys??? This pub has been open a couple of years....suprisingly. We tried it when it first opened...we wanted to like it..... and we hated it...for all the reasons I mentioned previously....

What part of the "New Ownership" don't you understand??? Sounds like you have an axe to grind for some reason, surely if a neighbourhood pub near your work changed ownership a coupon wouldn't be the deciding factor on if you gave it another shot?? Would be interesting to know the whole story? All the best to the Moon, love their beer myself and enjoy their contribution to the wonderful craft brew market in Victoria

#292 TheMoonUnderWater

TheMoonUnderWater
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Needless to say, its taken me several days to think of my diplomatic response to the critique from Redd42.

After much consideration, I've come to terms with the fact that we can't be everything to every person. There were a lot of people from the neighborhood who came in after I dropped off the %15 discount who enjoyed their time at the pub and have returned since. At the end of the day, I tried to get you in our doors and you're not interested in my offer. There's not really much left to say.

As for all of the positive feedback about the pub, I would like to thank you all for being so supportive of us and we embark in our new endeavors. It's been really exciting, difficult, exhausting, and rewarding and we couldn't do it without the support of all of you and, for that, I thank you all very much. We're not perfect and we're new at this so there's bound to be some bumps along the way so I am always open to listening to your feedback as we are constantly working towards improving your experience at the pub.

#293 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

will there be a new cask on boxing day? :redface:

#294 TheMoonUnderWater

TheMoonUnderWater
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

will there be a new cask on boxing day? :redface:

I'm afraid that we're closed Wednesday but it will be our cask launch of our new Rauchweizen Thursday night "The Smoke Show". I've tasted it. It's delicious. Don't miss it.

#295 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Reference to posts about the Moon experience at brewing time:

http://vibrantvictor...anich/?p=226197

#296 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

Word is that Moon is expanding into the space next door currently occupied by Modern Beauty Supplies (not sure if they're moving or closing). 

https://www.facebook...89975774877050/

Help us to celebrate our 5 year anniversary! Also get a sneak peek of our expansion plans for the new Moon Distillery. Live music by The Weeds, BBQ, Baron of Beef, Tastings, Giveaways! Launch of our Year 5 Barrel Aged Wheat Wine Beer! Door donations to support The Victoria Humane Society in their BC Wildfire animal fostering efforts.

#297 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

Word is that Moon is expanding into the space next door currently occupied by Modern Beauty Supplies..

That old moon is feeling pretty uppity today isn't it? Blocking out the sun was only its first strategy it would seem.

Edited by Nparker, 21 August 2017 - 10:13 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and gstc84 like this

#298 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

Moon Under Water brewery's Bay Street tasting room 'parked' over civic wrangling

https://victoria.cit...ivic-wrangling/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#299 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

From what I can see they have applied for a building permit, but not a variance. Seems like a simple fix, wonder why they have not gone down that route?

#300 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

The old "how much parking should a pub have/need?" debate in this town has been going on for 30 or 40 years, at least since the first neighbourhood pubs opened in the early 80's.  We still have not figured it out?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users