Moon Under Water Brewery and Distillery, pub and tasting room | 350 Bay Street

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#301 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

From what I can see they have applied for a building permit, but not a variance. Seems like a simple fix, wonder why they have not gone down that route?

Is it possible they have discussed with staff, and staff has indicated they would recommend council oppose the variance?  Otherwise, hard to see how it's "been going on since 2016".

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#302 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

Meanwhile Phillips Brewing's 134-patron tasting room was approved in March and it includes virtually zero on-site parking. It too, on Government Street at Discovery Street, is within Moon Under Water's Burnside-Gorge neighbourhood.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#303 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Council just gave Phillips a parking variance for their new brewpub, down from 45 required spots to 5...

#304 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

^That's what I can't understand about this "snag". Ask for a variance and you'll almost certainly get it. Unless like VHF alludes to, there's something about this that planners don't like.

#305 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

The tasting room is taking over a home improvement company’s offices and potential show room. In other words, it’s indistrial land, isn’t it? Operating a tasting room might contravene that in some way? I dunno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#306 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Apparently CoV staff have been advising them to not apply for variance as it is a "long and expensive process". Which is total BS. Parking variance is easy to apply for, and with a precedent like Phillips a few blocks away it should be a walk in the park. SMDH.

• Rob Randall likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#307 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

Am I correct the City of Victoria is holding up the approval of a tasting room because of PARKING????

Are people crazy???????  This establishment should be praised and MADD should be hoping MADDD that government thinks having more parking is a good thing where there will be alcohol consumption. 

The city should provide TAX BREAKS to any establishment that serves alcohol and limits or restricts automobiles.   Have people lost all common sense?????

• thundergun and Mattjvd like this

#308 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

There's loads of on-street parking around the Phillips place wihch might mitigate their on-site requirements - but maybe not so much around Moon?

Either way, if they were serious about cutting down on driving to pubs they'd allow more pubs in more places with less hoops to jump through.

Edited by FogPub, 17 May 2018 - 04:15 PM.

• jonny likes this

#309 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

There's also lots of on street parking around Moon too, Bay st in front  & John st behind has even more.

• tedward likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#310 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

From what I can see they have applied for a building permit, but not a variance. Seems like a simple fix, wonder why they have not gone down that route?

Aaaaand they have now applied for a variance. It's on the Dev Tracker, here: https://tender.victo...Number=DVP00217

#311 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

I'm sure that there's an obvious answer, but I'm too obtuse to figure it out for myself: why is that liqour-primary and food-primary establishments in Downtown do not have to meet parking requirements?  Is it something like there's a Downtown Entertainment District and parking requirements are waived for this zone?

#312 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:31 AM

^ That's correct, many of the downtown zones do not require any parking. The provisions of the individual zone are more specific and take precedence over the general parking requirements in the zoning bylaw.

#313 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:31 AM

^^Two big reasons, for some it's physically impossible to provide on-site parking, or even nearby parking. Another is the old-fashioned idea that a drinking establishment needs a parking parking space for every bar stool.

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 June 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#314 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

^ 1 space per 3 bar stools in Victoria  ;)

• Matt R. likes this

#315 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

^If I fall off my bar stool does that free up a parking space?

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 June 2018 - 11:38 AM.

• Nparker, lanforod, johnk and 1 other like this

#316 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

Apparently CoV staff have been advising them to not apply for variance as it is a "long and expensive process". Which is total BS. Parking variance is easy to apply for, and with a precedent like Phillips a few blocks away it should be a walk in the park. SMDH.

in one of our upcoming Lisa, Gene and Eric podcasts we have a member of the board of variance join us and whilst they are required to approach each application fairly, a decision does not set precedence and the board does not have to approve one because it approved a similar one. 

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#317 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

^^ Only if you take two people down with you

Edited by Jackerbie, 15 June 2018 - 11:40 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#318 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

^If I fall off my bar stool does that free up a parking space?

If I'm too loaded to walk, I drive!

#319 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

^^Two big reasons, for some it's physically impossible to provide on-site parking, or even nearby parking. Another is the old-fashioned idea that a drinking establishment needs a parking parking space for every bar stool.

But there are other areas in town where it is physically impossible to provide parking.  So, no hospitality businesses there?

#320 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

Maybe the key is making the right political contributions :-)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users