Moon Under Water Brewery and Distillery, pub and tasting room | 350 Bay Street

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#81 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:15 AM

City Council says ‘cheers’ to Bay Street brewpub

By Robert Randall • Published on Friday, August 27, 2010 • Categorized as Business & the Local Economy, Construction & Land Development, Local News, Politics

In a unanimous decision Thursday night at City Hall, Council voted to approve the rezoning requested by the proponents of the Moon Under Water brewpub.
[...]
Following on the positive recommendation of City staff, Council said the granting of a Liquor Primary license, a requirement for the pub, would have little or no negative impact on the neighbourhood.

#82 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:59 AM

Back in the days of the STS, we used to call Denis Oliver "DFO", nice to see he's still a pain in the ass.

Matt.

#83 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:59 AM

Back in the days of the STS, we used to call Denis Oliver "DFO", nice to see he's still a pain in the ass.

Matt.

#84 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:43 AM

It appears that that went well. I like the soup and sandwich lunch special idea.

#85 Dan Smallbeer

Dan Smallbeer

Dan Lett

• 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

Hello. I'm Dan. I wrote the Monday Magazine article on the Moon' and I write the Victoria-based beer blog http://smallbeerblog.blogspot.com . (I'm also available for freelance writing work...*plug*)

I have enjoyed reading these forums and am glad to be involved.

I decided to get up on the spur of the moment and speak to council last night. It was hardly necessary, the rezoning seemed destined to pass, I think i just wanted to join the love in.

Congrats to the Bradleys. I am sure the pub will be very successful, and I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Victoria should be very proud of its brewing heritage. I hope you encourage all of your friends to support this pub, I know the owners will appreciate it and repay you with hearty vittles and soothing ales.

#86 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

^ Welcome to the forum Dan.

#87 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

It appears that that went well. I like the soup and sandwich lunch special idea.

They want to attract the local business crowd. They presented a "petition" of sorts signed by employees of various neighbouring businesses like Rada Resurfacing, Min. of Forests, SHC Auto, Paradon Computing, Bath Fitters, West Bay Cabinets etc. etc.

The owner of nearby Driftwood Brewery said the pub "will add to the atmosphere of the neighbourhood". He said it would be a good addition to the brewery walking tour of Rock Bay and Vic West tourists go on.

They will have a beer store but it will only sell their product.

The permitted hours will be 11 am to midnight but the owners said they wouldn't mind closing earlier as they don't like being up late.

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

For the time being they are advertising their hours as:

Wed - Thurs:
11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Fri - Sat:
11:00 am - 12:00 am
Sun:
11:00 am - 11:00 pm
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#89 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

New Rock Bay pub granted liquor licence, rezoning
ViICNEWS August 27, 2010
http://www.bclocalne.../101677218.html

#90 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

City gives nod to new brewpub

Moon Under Water in Rock Bay neighbourhood to open by Oct. 1

By Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist August 28, 2010

The Bradleys are hoping the slightly out-of-the-way spot and non-descript exterior will be overcome by word of mouth of the warmth and promise inside.

Pizza Prima Strada seems to be doing well so it is possible.

The brew, the centrepiece of the operation, will include three traditional English-styled beers -- a Moonlight Blonde, Lunar Pale Ale and a best-brewed bitter -- and a seasonal offering that will change with the weather.

http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0xuZU9MQt

It sounds like a more limited selection than say, Spinnakers or Swans. Can they attract the connoisseur crowd without a wider selection of stouts and IPAs? Can they survive without the Bud/Coors Lite drinkers? Don't laugh--I see a lot of bottles of these awful beers on tables at the finer brewpubs.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#91 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

They want to attract the local business crowd. They presented a "petition" of sorts signed by employees of various neighbouring businesses like Rada Resurfacing, Min. of Forests, SHC Auto, Paradon Computing, Bath Fitters, West Bay Cabinets etc. etc.

The owner of nearby Driftwood Brewery said the pub "will add to the atmosphere of the neighbourhood". He said it would be a good addition to the brewery walking tour of Rock Bay and Vic West tourists go on.

They will have a beer store but it will only sell their product.

The permitted hours will be 11 am to midnight but the owners said they wouldn't mind closing earlier as they don't like being up late.

15 years ago there was a bar/pool hall at the corner of John/Bridge. It languished for 4-5 years before it finally closed. The local employees don't cover the overhead. With the exception of the Min of Forests, most of the jobs in that area are light industrial / retail and they don't pay well enough for someone to be at the bar every day.

Still think the big issue is parking. There are not 20 free parking spaces there now and adding 14 employees and up to 90 patrons won't fit in that neighbourhood. Time will tell though.

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

^The pub owns 26 stalls. And the entire block on the north side is free parking.

These bars have zero parking stalls:

Bar & Banker
Irish Times
Strathcona Hotel (2051 licensed seats)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

^The pub owns 26 stalls. And the entire block on the north side is free parking.

These bars have zero parking stalls:

Bar & Banker
Irish Times
Strathcona Hotel (2051 licensed seats)

You don't honestly believe that. There is lots of parkade and street parking in downtown Victoria even though the pubs themselves don't "own any spots". Try finding an available parking space in Rock Bay at any time.

#94 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:52 PM

I would suggest those "light" industrial jobs pay well enough for a couple of pints every day if so desired!

The Mexican place on Bridge - Los Taquitos - was absolutely packed every night for dinner (and excellent) often with a line out the door at 6 pm. Too bad they moved downtown.

I think people underestimate this area a little bit. 26 parking spots will be fine. All the people who live at the Rail Yards, etc are a short stroll away. That's a lot of bodies, and I know a few of them who like good beer.

I'd be curious to know what the owners did as far as market research. Surely they spent some time thinking about this beforehand.

Matt.

#95 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

check out this blog entry

If you follow the blog, you'll know that Victoria is eagerly expecting its fourth brewpub — a traditional English-style pub called The Moon Under Water — once its rezoning hearing goes through. Well, I was one of a hundred or so people who turned up at Victoria City Hall for the hearing last week. The first bit of good news is that council voted unanimously to let the pub open. The even better news is that this city fricking loves craft beer.

As I wandered in with other-beer-blogger Eskimo Dave, I wasn't sure what to expect. The rezoning hearing was to decide whether it was OK for a brewpub to open in an area marked for "industrial production." As one astute councillor pointed out, craft brewing is a light industry. But the fact that the business planned to operate under a "liquor primary licence" (meaning its main purpose was to sell alcohol on premises) meant that the Moon Under Water's owners had to sweat it out for several months with a half-built pub, not knowing if they'd ever be able to open.

I expected a fairly quick "yay" or "nay" from a city official, but it turns out that rezoning hearings are conducted as part of council business — meaning the mayor and council are all present and the public are given forum to express their views. Bonnie Bradley (one of the owners) was called to put forward the case for the pub. Apparently Victoria has an abnormally high number of liquor primaries, meaning you really have to justify a new pub. Bonnie did a fine job convincing everyone that the Moon' is going to be a respectable watering hole.

Next, the public were invited to speech. I was impressed as CAMRA representatives, local industry-types, and several other members of the public put some well-prepared arguments in support of the pub. The highlight (I'm sure everyone who was there will agree) was the speech by Jason Meyer from Driftwood Brewery. Here's someone for whom the Moon' is technically a competitor — yet he put forward about the most eloquent case for the social and artisanal benefits of a pub that you'll ever hear. I only wish I'd recorded it.

I was so giddy from all the craft beer love, that I even went up and spoke in front of council myself. I hadn't expected to speak at all, so I just blathered on about how proud the city should be of its beer industry. I needn't have bothered. I was preaching to the converted. Several councilors — including one who admitted to opposing pretty much every new licence application going — gave warm approval to the plan. Councillor Phillipe Lucas — Green Party member, medicinal cannabis advocate, buddy of mine, and all-round class-act — closed things up by welcoming the Moon' to the city, and everyone left happy that craft beer has a deep support throughout pretty much the entire community.

Proud to be a Victorian. Cheers.

http://smallbeerblog...-beer-zone.html

#96 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

"The highlight was the speech by Jason Meyer from Driftwood Brewery. Here's someone for whom the Moon' is technically a competitor — yet he put forward about the most eloquent case for the social and artisanal benefits of a pub that you'll ever hear. I only wish I'd recorded it...everyone left happy that craft beer has a deep support throughout pretty much the entire community. Proud to be a Victorian."

OK, I can die happy now. Talk about hitting the freaking nail on the head.

#97 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Yes, I've rarely witnessed such a lovefest at City Hall.

But it's important to note that the City isn't just approving a nice English brewpub. It's creating a liquor primary license. The owner might be the world's kindest publican, but if it changed hands, someone could open a sleazy bar with cheap shooters.

I am looking forward to visiting MUW when it opens.

#98 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

if it changed hands, someone could open a sleazy bar with cheap shooters

I'll remind you that one of the board poohbahs used to run Soprano's and it's bad form to insult him.

#99 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

I like sleazy bars and cheap shooters. :)

#100 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

^ me too.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users