- - - - -

Good place to buy/look for a used car??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shylo

shylo
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

I'm new to Victoria and I'm a female in my 20's looking for a used car but I'm not sure which places are good or bad etc... and I often feel a bit intimidated by the salespeople because maybe they think they can take advantage of me...

I want something under 6000 dollars, maybe a honda accord or a subaru hatchback.

Just wondering where everyone buys cars here or if there are any dealers that I should avoid or scams to look out for?

Please Help!

Thanks!

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

Welcome to the forum Shylo.

I would start by spending a week or two searching www.usedvictoria.com and www.victoria.craigslist.ca

This will give you an idea of what you can expect to buy for the money you have to spend. This research will also give you an idea of what kind of cars and colours you might be interested in.

Once you sort out what you want, then go and test drive a few (with no intention of buying)

After all of that you will have a knowledge of prices, models, and CONDITIONS. Then when you see one that you are interested in buying.....here is the important part...take it to a mechanic and get them to check it out. I recommend Searle's or Murray's (they are in the phone book) or I am sure there are others. Most mechanics will steer you away from a mistake.

This should work for a private sale or a "lot sale". If you are unsure, post the details here and someone will hopefully help you.

#3 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

One thing I would suggest is....

Take your time as cars in Victoria tend to be slightly higher priced. Price out what you want in Vancouver and use that as a bargaining chip and see how far they will go. That is not to say that you will have to go to Vancouver, you just want them to believe you will if they don't negotiate:D

I did this when I bought my truck in 2002, They wanted $14,380 in Victoria. Needless to say on that one I did end up going to Vancouver but I paid $10,something for one with lower mileage and a canopy.

you decide if it is worth the effort, in that situation. I echo spanky though about getting it checked out by a mechanic for added piece of mind

#4 shylo

shylo
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for all of the advise!

I decided to get a car checked out!

Searle's happens to be right near my house so I am hoping to go there, do you know if they are experienced with subaru's?

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

Unless you need in-house financing, I would also explore buying a car in Wahington State. You get way more car for your buck - and that's even before you take the dollar into account.

Most people find the process intimidating, but if you do your homework there ought to be no surprises.

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Unless you need in-house financing, I would also explore buying a car in Wahington State. You get way more car for your buck - and that's even before you take the dollar into account.

Most people find the process intimidating, but if you do your homework there ought to be no surprises.

Agreed although Shylo was looking for a Honda and Honda won't honour the warranty in Canada if you buy a US car.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

I heard a rumour that "used cars cost less in nanimo!!" but who knows if it's true.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Agreed although Shylo was looking for a Honda and Honda won't honour the warranty in Canada if you buy a US car.

I'm not sure if you can buy an Accord so new for $6k that it would have a warranty - even in the US. As for the Subaru, they will honour the warranty, but you have to pay the local dealer first, and forward the bills for repayment.

#9 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

I agree with Sparky's recommendation of going to Craigslist or usedvictoria.

as for going to Washington State, it is a good idea although there is a lot of paperwork and inspections that might eliminate the savings on the spot. $200 import fee, a $100 federal inspection, a $100 provincial inspection and you can't get insurance in BC until all of the paperwork is done and send to Toronto for approval. Plus you might have to make modifications like replace the bumpers or replace the speedometer. I am not sure its worth the aggrevation given she wants to spend less than $6000.

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:56 PM

as for going to Washington State, it is a good idea although there is a lot of paperwork and inspections that might eliminate the savings on the spot. $200 import fee, a $100 federal inspection, a $100 provincial inspection and you can't get insurance in BC until all of the paperwork is done and send to Toronto for approval. Plus you might have to make modifications like replace the bumpers or replace the speedometer. I am not sure its worth the aggrevation given she wants to spend less than $6000.

At that price point I agree, your savings wouldn't be large enough to make it worthwhile. You do much better on new cars in the US and on used expensive (here) BMW's, Mercedes etc.

As for cars being more expensive here, I found the opposite when I have sold here. I have sold many cars in Vancouver and they usually go within a week or two. Here, the last one I sold took 4 months and then I had to practically give it away.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Fair points, it likely wouldn't make as much of a difference on cars under a certain amount - LJ is right, the real money to be made is on imports (especially European).

#12 shylo

shylo
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

I'm not really interested in going to the US, even Van seems like a hassle...

Anywhere on the island is ok though...

The car I checked out had problems that the salespeople never told me about and despite that they were not willing to drop the price...

And now they reposted the add on used victoria claiming that they fixed something I know they didn't and they increased the price.... huh??

Crazy, I think I would rather buy from a private seller.... if only there was anything online!

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

The car I checked out had problems that the salespeople never told me about and despite that they were not willing to drop the price...

What were the problems?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#14 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm not really interested in going to the US, even Van seems like a hassle...

Anywhere on the island is ok though...

And now they reposted the add on used victoria claiming that they fixed something I know they didn't and they increased the price.... huh??

Crazy, I think I would rather buy from a private seller.... if only there was anything online!

My cousin used to work for the Honda dealership in North Vancouver. When dealers get cars in, all they do is take care of the obvious issues and bandaid the rest. Despite working in this dealership, he exclusively purchased cars from private sellers and always had his mechanic give it a once over (on top of his rather anal inspection).

If you were to purchase a vehicle from a private seller, make sure that you do so before July 1st - as you will then have to pay HST on the purchase (as opposed to just PST when you register the vehicle).

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

I have bought cars in the past from Budget Car Rental sales. They all come with a full BCAA inspection and were very reasonable to deal with.

This was in Vancouver mind you, I don't know what Victoria would be like.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users