CFB Esquimalt tour (pix?)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

I guess I'll put this under infrastructure, we saw lots of it.

Tour guide was informative an somewhat funny, we ran overtime but I think I'd give the tour a solid 8/10, especially considering the price. I didn't know we had so many 100-year-old buildings still in full use out there.

Post your pix, people!

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,736 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Unfortunately I do not have the time to describe the photos at the moment but if someone could "guide" readers that would be much appreciated.

And the group photo shows several VV'ers who attended. Identify yourselves if you want :) I'm third from the left.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

HMCS Protecteur, supply ship, largest ship in the Pacific fleet.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Graving dock, underneath the tarp is the submarine Victoria.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

"C"-jetty crane, runs on two rails about 25 feet apart, can service 6 ships at a time.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Deck of the HMCS Winnipeg, one of our newest and most versatile guided-missile warships. The hangar holds a Sea-King.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

Our main tour-guide Darelle, a civilian.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

VV Headquarters, and the guns that took out Three Dots...

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,160 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for inviting me to tag along. Mike did a great job of posting pics of what we saw. VHF added the commentary...how the heck do you remember all that?

The only thing I have to add actually is a bit of a fetish of mine and that is anchors. I know, I have issues. There was this fantastic anchor, obviously placed by someone with the same illness.

You be the judge.

Oh and yes, I am the old fart on the right.

#10 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

Here are a few of my photos worth adding.

Camouflage Canadian flag

Always nice to see some tower cranes

Did you know there was more than one international airport in the Victoria area? This is one of the ships. Interesting sign, although it makes it difficult to climb the ladder. A Sea King helicoptor resides behind the large door at right.

#11 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

^There is YYJ, YWH (Victoria Harbour Water Aerodrome), CAP5 (Victoria Airport Water Aerodrome), and CAB3 (Bedwell Harbour Water Aerodrome). All are classified as airports of entry.

#12 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

Bedwell Harbour, Pender Island?

#13 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

^Yes, an odd international airport in the CRD.

#14 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

Oh.

Couple more pix.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

^ ^ Not a single ship at sea. If those Japs want to Pearl Harbour us, now is the time.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

:o

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Unfortunately I do not have the time to describe the photos at the moment but if someone could "guide" readers that would be much appreciated.

And the group photo shows several VV'ers who attended. Identify yourselves if you want :) I'm third from the left.

CFB Esquimalt Wardroom (Officers Mess), completed early 2000, it replaced the old Wardroom on Coleville Road and more importantly the Wardroom Annex on Admirals, more affectionatly known as "The Crack House"

Naval Electronics Testing Establishment Duntz Head. The 3"50 is now a museum piece. It used to be used for training Gun Directing Officers.

Brothers Island

HMCS ORIOLE, the Navy's Sail Training Ship

The good old 3"50 designed to shoot down Kamikazie aircraft. Used by the Canadian Navy until 1996.

One of the original buildings at HMC Dockyard. Completly rebuilt on the inside 3 years ago it is now home to CANFLTPAC (Canadian Fleet Pacific)

My two cents.

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

Neat, thanks!

If anyone else is interested in taking a guided tour of CFB Esquimalt there is information on the tours here - http://www.navy.forc...ry=19&title=284

#19 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

There's an article in today's TC about cuts to the Navy, which will affect CFB Esquimalt significantly, too:

Navy budget cuts likely to remove three ships from CFB Esquimalt - Budget targets: - Fleet reductions - Role of frigates - Combat system

By David Pugliese, Canwest News Service

(...)
Defence analyst Martin Shadwick said the move cuts the navy to the bone. "The sheer percentage of the fleet that will be unavailable is staggering," said Shadwick, a York University strategic studies professor. "It leaves the navy in the medium term with very limited capability." (source)

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#20 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Wait, wasn't harper all nuts about expanding our sea power to protect our northern sovereignty and such?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users