Site "C" Dam Project

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#201 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Does anyone know where the optimum place would be for solar?  Okanagan?

Maybe Horgan pulls something crazy from his hat and announces that the workers will stay on to re-mediate, and then he will draw down workers to Solar City as they become redundant at Site C.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

People are saying Site C layoffs have already been happening and lots of workers are losing their jobs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Oh, and here's a solar map. It looks like southern Alberta makes the most sense: https://ecosmartsun....p-carousel-1097

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Looks like Kamloops and Creston are tops for sunshine.

This new $1.1B plant in India has about the same generating power as Site C, when it's sunny I guess.

https://en.wikipedia...Mega_Solar_Park

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

I love the name Ultra Mega, lol.

Btw, to put the size of India's 5,900-acre Ultra Mega Super Cool solar power plant into perspective, that's an area bigger than the 5,350-acre East Sooke Park.

east-sooke.jpg

Know it all.

#206 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

1.1 billion in India would cost how much in BC? I wouldn't be surprised if that were $10 billion here. For a project that is significantly less environmentally friendly.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#207 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

1.1 billion in India would cost how much in BC? I wouldn't be surprised if that were $10 billion here. For a project that is significantly less environmentally friendly.

And ugly as hell. Hydro dams aka lakes are beautiful.
  • lanforod likes this

#208 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

A Sarnia solar farm built in 2010 cost about $300M for about 1/10 the generating capacity.  Of course Enbridge got a long-term purchase contract at 43 cents, ouch!

I dunno, I might support mandatory roof photovoltaic solar for new BC homes, with a minimum generating capacity and guaranteed buy rate of ~ 15 cents.  That would certainly spur some activity.

Or perhaps the Tesla roof panels could have the same type of program, if they prove as good as they are held.  Every BC home gets a new roof every 15 to 30 years.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 November 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#209 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

A Sarnia solar farm built in 2010 cost about $300M for about 1/10 the generating capacity.  Of course Enbridge got a long-term purchase contract at 43 cents, ouch!

I dunno, I might support mandatory roof photovoltaic solar for new BC homes, with a minimum generating capacity and guaranteed buy rate of ~ 15 cents.  That would certainly spur some activity.

Or perhaps the Tesla roof panels could have the same type of program, if they prove as good as they are held.  Every BC home gets a new roof every 15 to 30 years.

At $.15 / kwh you would lose a fortune having a rooftop solar system. The Ontario Government was paying something like $.45  - $.70 and even then it was marginal given that the lifespan of the photovoltaic cells is about 18 years.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#210 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

At $.15 / kwh you would lose a fortune having a rooftop solar system. The Ontario Government was paying something like $.45 - $.70 and even then it was marginal given that the lifespan of the photovoltaic cells is about 18 years.

Not true. The annual return of an investment in solar panels even at today’s hydro rates will be about 1 to 3%. That’s factoring in deprecation of panels over 25 years. So not a great investment but you won’t lose a fortune. Sort of like a GIC or call it an inflation hedge if you like.

Victoria is well suited to solar power in general.

https://househuntvic...se-in-victoria/

Edited by LeoVictoria, 05 November 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#211 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

The sea-gulls might have something to say about that.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#212 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

Not true. The annual return of an investment in solar panels even at today’s hydro rates will be about 1 to 3%. That’s factoring in deprecation of panels over 25 years. So not a great investment but you won’t lose a fortune. Sort of like a GIC or call it an inflation hedge if you like.

https://househuntvic...se-in-victoria/

The key point in the comparison you reference is the term "if you install it yourself". Most people would need to hire a professional installer and need to add transfer switches and other components which would drive the system price far above what is quoted. The article doesn't take into consideration panel degradation which is about 1% a year nor the maintenance costs of keeping the panels clear of debris, moss and mildew. The 1% return is also based on the assumption that BC Hydro prices will be $.29 per kwh within 20 years.

Edited by spanky123, 05 November 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#213 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

The key point in the comparison you reference is the term "if you install it yourself". Most people would need to hire a professional installer and need to add transfer switches and other components which would drive the system price far above what is quoted. The article doesn't take into consideration panel degradation which is about 1% a year nor the maintenance costs of keeping the panels clear of debris, moss and mildew. The 1% return is also based on the assumption that BC Hydro prices will be $.29 per kwh within 20 years.

Nope.   The article talks about DIY vs professional install (I would know I wrote the damn thing).  DIY gets you a better return, but even a professional install gets you a positive return.  The point is under no circumstances do you "lose a fortune" on solar with current prices.   And yes, it takes into account panel degradation as well.   If you want to change the assumptions for hydro rate increases, just change it in the spreadsheet.      Hydro rate increases maybe won't be 3% per year, but it will probably be more than we're used to given how hydro is piling on debt.  

Edited by LeoVictoria, 05 November 2017 - 09:59 PM.

• On the Level likes this

#214 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

BC Hydro is saying today that the rushed, 60 day BCUC review of Site C rammed through by Horgan underestimated the benefits of Site C by 800 million dollars.

Yikes.

• David Bratzer and lanforod like this

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

Wow. Oops.

Know it all.

#216 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Rumour are that an announcement may come as early as today. Any last minute guesses? I think they pull the plug. 

#217 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

i think they will continue, make a big stink about how their hands were tied due to the mismanagement of the prior government, they will try and turn it around to blame everyone else.....if they shut this down on the backs of all the other stuff they have said No to in the last 6 months then Horgan will carry the blame when everyones hydro bills automatically increase 10-15% to cover the expenses....and he will wear that right into the next election

#218 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

I hope you are right, rjag. 

Keith Baldrey thinks they will move forward with Site C. 

• Finally, and perhaps most tellingly, the deputy energy minister, Dave Nikolejsin, said in a speech last week that B.C.’s power demand will grow by 10,000 gigawatts by 2050, which is the equivalent of the output of nine Site C dams. He also said there will be an aggressive push to have about 300,000 clean-energy vehicles on B.C.’s roads by 2030, and that Alberta and western U.S. states could be new markets for Site C power. So new electricity supplies will be needed.

https://globalnews.c...ite-c-decision/

Edited by jonny, 08 December 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#219 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

I guess Friday is a good as any day for the news, either way.  Somehow I felt they would wait if it was cancel, until after X-mas.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 December 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#220 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Premier gets PG tonight

http://www.dawsoncre...ight-1.23117673

Premier John Horgan is expected to appear in Prince George tonight.

Horgan is expected to talk Site C as well as on a handful of other topics with northern mayors. 

Other media is reporting his communications team is refusing interviews.

/end of article.

?

Thanks for the in-depth article, Glacier.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 December 2017 - 04:03 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users