• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#321 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

Wind farm ailments are an example of the Nocebo effect.

Show me the science and I'll form my opinion then. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#322 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

If we want to stop global warming we should kill all cats, too.

And then bury them deep underground to make sure the carbon stays out of the atmosphere :-)

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

There is no science. I’ve read the same Guardian weirdo article Leo has and I’ve read several reports that leave the window open for further study.

Some people in Victoria feel ill due to the noise emitted from the jets at Whidby. Who am I or anyone else to tell them that they don’t, when they do. Noise affects people differently and being an internet sleuth won’t change that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#324 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:59 AM

The location point is a valid one. We don’t need to build those things anywhere near people.

A good example of this the wind farm recently completely up near Pennask on the Okanagan Connector. Literally out in the middle of nowhere, but cool to see as you drive along the Connector or fly into Kelowna.

8122085_web1_170816_KCN_turbine-drone-co

• Mike K. and nerka like this

#325 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

There is no science. I’ve read the same Guardian weirdo article Leo has and I’ve read several reports that leave the window open for further study.

Some people in Victoria feel ill due to the noise emitted from the jets at Whidby. Who am I or anyone else to tell them that they don’t, when they do. Noise affects people differently and being an internet sleuth won’t change that.

Oh my god.   You can either make science based arguments or you can throw science out the window.  You can't pick and choose when it suits your agenda.

Wind farm syndrome does not exist as a medical diagnosis.  It exists only on whackadoodle websites where people discuss chemtrails.  Anxious people that are told wind farms cause illnesses then report illnesses.   People who aren't told they cause illnesses don't develop these symptoms.   

As for the comparison to jets, that is ludicrous.  Here's how loud a wind turbine is:

wind_turbine.jpg

Right next to the blades is like a lawnmower.   300 metres away which is the closest a house will ever be is a bit louder than a fridge.  After 400 metres you can't distinguish it from background noise.   

As for "infrasound", that is generated at such low levels it is well below audible and well below all the other sources of infrasound.  

Not an issue.   

Here's a look at how this "syndrome" spreads http://journals.plos...al.pone.0076584

Edited by LeoVictoria, 15 December 2017 - 09:25 AM.

• tedward, jonny, shoeflack and 1 other like this

#326 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

The impact of wind farms on birds is also way overblown.

Probably.

So is habit and farmland loss due to Site C, anything "food security", the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, polar bear deaths, anytime there's a wildfire or hurricane it's due to climate change, etc.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#327 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

Probably.

So is habit and farmland loss due to Site C, anything "food security", the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, polar bear deaths, anytime there's a wildfire or hurricane it's due to climate change, etc.

Yup.   

#328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

It is irresponsible to conclude that there are no effects from the presence of hulking giants (potentially dozens of them) emitting 40db of noise half a kilometre from a residence and noise as loud as a food processor when standing right next to one.

Wind also carries sound, meaning if wind conditions are right, sound can travel very long distances. That's why I can hear CFB Esquimalt's monthly alarm test one month, but not the other, despite the fact that I'm several kilometres away from the base.

A Japanese study (not General Electric, a manufacturer of wind turbines) concluded that insomnia levels near wind turbines were higher than in other areas. The conclusion warrants investigating the impact of wind turbines further.

"Insomnia diagnosed on the basis of self-reported symptoms was significantly prevalent in the areas where noise exposure levels exceeded 40 dB, showing that WTN [wind turbine noise] disturbed sleep among residents in the WT sites. No evidence was obtained concerning the adverse effects of WTN on physical/mental health on the basis of self-reported symptoms. Insomnia and these symptoms also seemed to be affected by personal features expressed as noise sensitivity and the feeling of visual annoyance with wind turbines. These features may show the tendency to be sensitive to environmental stimuli or changes in their homeostasis and should be considered in future field studies on the association between WTN and health." - https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4918684/

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#329 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

I don't get it though.  How much electricity does a blender or a vacuum generate if it replaces the wind turbine at the wind farm?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#330 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

It is irresponsible to conclude that there are no effects from the presence of hulking giants (potentially dozens of them) emitting 40db of noise half a kilometre from a residence and noise as loud as a food processor when standing right next to one.

Rubbish.  It's all in the mind.  If you look at the definition of Nocebo, yes, it might, or it does cause related health effects, just like stress does, but it's still a brain issue.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 December 2017 - 09:49 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#331 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

All this concern about sound we should be shutting down the Mckenzie interchange project as it’s going to exceed 40db in some classrooms at 3 schools.
  • jonny likes this

#332 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Either we (the collective we) believe medical science, or we do not.

If we believe wind turbines directly cause health issues despite medical evidence that they do not, then we might as well believe these nut jobs who say vaccines cause autism and throw reason totally out the window. 

• tedward likes this

#333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

Of course it's a brain issue. Mental health is extremely important to overall health and wellbeing, that's why we decorate our homes the way we do and why we appreciate activities that stimulate us positively.

Know it all.

#334 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

All this concern about sound we should be shutting down the Mckenzie interchange project as it’s going to exceed 40db in some classrooms at 3 schools.

Whats the noise level now? Is that 40 inside?

Seems that 40db is on the low end of normal ambient noise scale

http://www.roads.mar...aspx?PageId=827

https://www.webmd.co...-topic-overview

#335 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:23 AM

We can't even kill the deer, doubt we are gonna get popular support to kill all the cats.

Toxoplasmosis is waayyy to rampant for that to ever happen and it’s only getting worse! Where is the Vaccine for that?

#336 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:40 AM

Toxoplasmosis is waayyy to rampant for that to ever happen and it’s only getting worse! Where is the Vaccine for that?

At few years ago they had to round up all the cats that people had abandoned out at the Sooke Reservoir.

They were concerned about Toxoplasmosis getting into the drinking water.

#337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

So somebody on CFAX yesterday was going on about how some solar project in Mexico (or HERE) was coming in at a super low number per kwh.

And I'm thinking, is that our plan, for BC to rely on Mexican power?  Nobody wants to be "energy independent"?  "Electricity secure"?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 December 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#338 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

Another benefit of Site C.

This is another deal that will benefit the US rather than Canada...eh!

SPOKANE, Wash. — Talks are scheduled to begin this week in Washington, D.C., to modernize the document that co-ordinates flood control and hydropower generation in the United States and Canada along the 1,930-kilometre Columbia River.

Northwest politicians in the United States have been pushing for years to renegotiate the Columbia River Treaty between the two countries. The lawmakers are particularly keen to eliminate a so-called "Canadian Entitlement" they contend is too favourable to Canada.

The U.S. government has said the new talks should include environmental goals, such as increasing stream flows to benefit salmon.

The U.S. also wants reconsideration of the "Canadian Entitlement," which provides Canada with US$250 million to $350 million a year worth of electrical power in exchange for storing water in huge reservoirs that can be released to boost U.S. hydropower generation.

The cost is higher than anticipated by the United States when the treaty was signed.

http://www.timescolo...-u-s-1.23316480

#339 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:07 PM

It's the equivalent of adding more than 185,000 new households to B.C.'s electrical grid. Once it's up and running, LNG Canada will be BC Hydro's third largest customer.

So, where will all that electricity come from?

For some environmentalists and politicians, there's only one obvious answer: the controversial and legally contested Site C project.

The province refutes any connection between the hydroelectric dam and LNG Canada, and yet, Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver argues approval of the massive liquefied natural gas plant means B.C. taxpayers will be "taking on the enormous public debt required to build Site C."

The province has estimated the company's operations would initially add about 2,000 gigawatt hours to B.C.'s annual electrical load — for comparison, the average household uses about 0.01 gigawatt hours per year.

That means LNG Canada would use about 40 per cent of the energy produced by Site C, which is expected to produce about 5,100 gigawatt hours every year.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...4849501?cmp=rss

#340 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:20 AM

Any bets that LNG Canada will be paying full commercial rates for electricity?!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)