Site "C" Dam Project

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#41 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

And it ignores the fact that we sell excess power. The money that Powerex generates helps keep our electrical bills down!

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:39 AM

And it ignores the fact that we sell excess power. The money that Powerex generates helps keep our electrical bills down!

Well that's another thing, right?  Nobody thinks we should only dig up enough coal for our own use, or log enough logs only for BC use, or mine enough iron ore or copper for BC use.  Or newsprint, or aluminum.  Or grow tomatoes or blueberries or apples only for us.     

Why don't we think it's a good idea to produce power to sell all across the continent?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 nagel

nagel
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

Well that's another thing, right?  Nobody thinks we should only dig up enough coal for our own use, or log enough logs only for BC use, or mine enough iron ore or copper for BC use.  Or newsprint, or aluminum.  Or grow tomatoes or blueberries or apples only for us.     

Why don't we think it's a good idea to produce power to sell all across the continent?

Is that what we're doing?  Or are we going to give the power away for resource extraction?  I think there's something fishy with this project.

#44 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

Is that what we're doing?  Or are we going to give the power away for resource extraction?  I think there's something fishy with this project.

Why would we give power away for resource extraction? Say Petronas needs 10 MW of power for LNG extraction. We already give them big tax cuts. They will pay for the power, not get it for free.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'm not sure.  But at the end of the day, or in 30 or 50 years, won't having more electricity be good?

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

But at the end of the day, or in 30 or 50 years, won't having more electricity be good?

We will all have batteries, micro-chips and miniature motors embedded in our bodies and will be living to age 130 with 3D printed parts, so lets get the dam thing built.

• lanforod likes this

#47 nagel

nagel
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

I'm not sure.  But at the end of the day, or in 30 or 50 years, won't having more electricity be good?

Probably, but what I'm seeing is Hydro's debt going through the roof, and rates are as well.  Capacity increases shouldn't result in across the board massive increases in rates.  And at the same time, resource companies are getting breaks on their bills (e.g., mining companies being able to defer payments until they hit profitability - what happens if they don't, and that corp folds?  The bill gets added to debt and affects the bills of general ratepayers.).

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

Probably, but what I'm seeing is Hydro's debt going through the roof, and rates are as well.  Capacity increases shouldn't result in across the board massive increases in rates.  And at the same time, resource companies are getting breaks on their bills (e.g., mining companies being able to defer payments until they hit profitability - what happens if they don't, and that corp folds?  The bill gets added to debt and affects the bills of general ratepayers.).

Ya, I hear ya, but our rates are still competitive across North America.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

NDP Leader John Horgan has advised BC Hydro not to sign any new contracts on the divisive Site C hydroelectric dam project.

The $8.8 billion dam will be the third on the Peace River, flooding an 83-kilometre stretch of valley, and local First Nations, landowners and farmers have fiercely opposed the project.

http://www.cheknews....ntracts-325159/

If I were these guys, I'd wait to see if there might be another election before they do this kind of stuff.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 June 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#50 RFS

RFS
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

and so it begins. Would BC hydro listen to him considering he is not yet premier?

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

and so it begins. Would BC hydro listen to him considering he is not yet premier?

I am sure that any contracts that needed to be signed are signed. More grandstanding. We could potentially have 4 years of this.

• Matt R. likes this

#52 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

http://www.cheknews....ntracts-325159/

If I were these guys, I'd wait to see if there might be another election before they do this kind of stuff.

Dear Jessica,

As of today, you have exactly the same accountability to John Horgan as you do to me. On that basis then I give permission to ignore him and send him a frownie face emoji as a response.

Yours truly,

Spanky123

Edited by spanky123, 01 June 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

An acquaintance who is a mortgage broker in Prince George was arranging a mortgage for a young working couple in Quesnel. When he sent in the particulars to a lender the mortgage was not funded. When he questioned why he was told that the lender was reducing its loan to value ratio in resource economies due to the election. 

Why do working people vote for the NDP, union hangover or what?

• sebberry and jonny like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

John Horgan is talking tough about the $8.8-billion Site C dam, but I wonder if he’s tough enough to actually shut the thing down and throw 2,200 people out of work.

That’s how many construction workers are currently building the dam on the Peace River near Fort St. John. The construction site is so massive the remote work camp is more like a small town, complete with a movie theatre, hair salon, gym, multi-faith spiritual centre and, of course, a pub.

But Horgan said he might slam the brakes on the biggest public project in B.C. history, arguing it’s too expensive, tramples on the rights of local landowners and First Nations, and we don’t need the power anyway.

But I stress the word “might.”

http://theprovince.c...-site-c-workers

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

And Horgan "might" become Premier.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,346 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:32 AM

Horgan has already sent a letter to the CEO of BC Hydro warning him not to sign any new contracts.

On CFAX yesterday there was a debate about the optics of a possible future boss dictating what someone with an existing boss can and cannot do. In other words, it's not for Horgan to dictate what the CEO of BC Hydro does. The only person who has any influence over BC Hydro, at this time, is Clark, not Horgan.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 nagel

nagel
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:15 AM

I'm pretty sure he actually said don't sign any new contracts with cancellation penalties, which does make sense if the project is going back for review.

I get the principle of what you're saying and agree with it, but at the same time it would be foolish for BC Hydro to enter into contracts with significant cancellation penalties at this point.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

Look, don't environmentalists want to move away from fossil fuels almost altogether?  How can we possibly not want more electricity if that's the case?  Those who say we "don't need Site C" do know that at this current time we do not need it because we get cheap electricity from outside BC by external suppliers burning gas (in the US and Alberta) and coal (Alberta), right?

So to be clear, we buy lots of electricity that is made from gas and coal.  Site C means we have to do less of that, and it also means we can heat more of our homes with electricity.

Q:  In large developments like Westhills and Royal Bay, what type of home heating are they using?  I know Westhills has geothermal, but that must also be supplemented, no (at the very least with electric heat pumps)?  And I presume almost every home these days comes with a gas fireplace that supplies some heat to the living room.  But the rest of the heat, are they using gas-fired forced-air furnaces, or electric baseboard heaters, generally?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 June 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,346 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

A contract with a cancellation policy is literally the very definition of a contract, though. And if a contract doesn't have a cancellation policy someone was asleep at the wheel.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:14 AM

Look, don't environmentalists want to move away from fossil fuels almost altogether?  How can we possibly not want more electricity if that's the case?  Those who say we "don't need Site C" do know that at this current time we do not need it because we get cheap electricity from outside BC by external suppliers burning gas (in the US and Alberta) and coal (Alberta), right?

So to be clear, we buy lots of electricity that is made from gas and coal.  Site C means we have to do less of that, and it also means we can heat more of our homes with electricity.

Q:  In large developments like Westhills and Royal Bay, what type of home heating are they using?  I know Westhills has geothermal, but that must also be supplemented, no (at the very least with electric heat pumps)?  And I presume almost every home these days comes with a gas fireplace that supplies some heat to the living room.  But the rest of the heat, are they using gas-fired forced-air furnaces, or electric baseboard heaters, generally?

Our system is a whole lot more complicated than that. I've got some direct experience in this with Powerex. In general, Powerex provides income for BC by buying power at low cost and selling at higher. BC both imports AND exports electricity, but has been a net exporter most years. I don't think we discriminate on where that electricity comes from/is produced, as long as the price we import it at is low.

Here's a good, local paper on this: http://web.uvic.ca/~...tingSystem.pdf 

One good graph in that paper - demand is expected to pass supply around 2019/2020 - excluding Site C, I believe. I haven't seen an updated version of that yet.

Edited by lanforod, 06 June 2017 - 07:15 AM.

• tedward likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.