Photo

New to Victoria -- what are the best places?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

Just moved here this summer, and have tried several places (Swans, Spinnakers, Noodle Box, The Reef, Bengal Lounge among others...) but would like to know what places other people think we really need to try? What are your guys' favourites?

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

Swans was a good choice, but Im biased, I work for them. If you want to get out of the way a bit for something different try the Shine Cafe on Fort Street at Stratcona Center. Their breakfasts are amazing! If you want to go out for dinner and impress, try the Superior in James Bay, the atmosphere is incredible. Also check out Ferrises Oyster Bar on Lower Yates, a long time favorite in Victoria. For sushi the Sushi Plus on Yates St near the Odeon is the Sushi variety of greasy spoon, good prices, generous helpings, no decor. There are so many more!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

Zambri's, in the back of the strip mall at Harris Green (between London Drugs and Market on Yates). Best simple Italian house fare anywhere around here, locally sourced ingredients.

I also really recommend The Guru on Fort Street, btw. Vancouver & Cook. Koreans I know swear by it because it's real Korean cooking. Not expensive -- their ~$50 dinner "for two" is big enough to satisfy 4 people; their ~$10 lunch box is a great deal with a sampling of many different items.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

The places I find myself eating constatly are :

Floyd's
Fifth Street Bar and Grill
The lebanese place on Langley Street (name?)
Sabri's
Maja Raja
Wah Lai Yuen
Pluto's

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

I know it's a chain, but I find myself returning to the Cactus Club pretty regularly,

Add my vote to Zambri's, Pluto's, Guru, and Ferris'

For Chinese take out, the JJ's on Fort St is the best, and the best sushi in town is at Sen Zushi...

Don Mee's is the place to be for Dim Sum.

For Sunday Brunch with Mom, I'd recommend the trip out to the Oak Bay Marina, or the Blue Crab....

For a fancy french dinner with someone of the appropriate gender, Matisse is pretty much ideal...

#6 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

http://www.paprika-bistro.com :tup:

#7 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

for professionally prepared, fresh food in a casual setting, check out Rosie's Bistro in Royal Oak. small place, might want to call for reservations....so very worth a try. it's the perfect first date place. just don't confuse it with the "other" Rosie's..... this one is just up the hill from the Med Grill, other side of the road. an independant, family-run operation that deserves to be supported.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

Oh, many years ago that used to be Chantecler, Dominique Chapheau's old restaurant, correct?

And the Med Grill Royal Oak used to be Periklis II for a while, then it was something else... :?:
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

Yes, Rosie's in Royal Oak is delish! And if you wanna impress your lady, take her to Paprika Bistro on Estevan Avenue. :)

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:22 PM

The places I find myself eating constatly are :

Floyd's
Fifth Street Bar and Grill
The lebanese place on Langley Street (name?)
Sabri's
Maja Raja
Wah Lai Yuen
Pluto's

**** me.
There's a Lebanese place in Victoria and I didn't know about it?
I've wasted four years of my life.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

G-Man, you have to remember the name of this place. I need my lebanese food fix.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

You don't need the name. Just walk on Langley street. Trust me you will not be confused as to which place is Lebanese! :)

They have an awesome daily lunch special. It is quite popular with us Government types.

It has a whole new look!

#13 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

Dim Sum at Don Mee's is great, I'll second that. The Olive Grove in Royal Oak is pretty good, but the service not so much. I like Sabri's for their brunch special.

#14 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

These are the places I find myself going to most often:

Pho Hoa on fort (there is a wack of them actually), I've gone to three pho places in Victoria and my favorite is still the tacky little chain one. The people there are really friendly and it is always busy. My favorite for sushi is Shiki sushi also on Fort. Someone said Sen Zushi was their favorite and I have to disagree. I went there once and had a horrible experience. My boyfriend and I were left at the table waiting for our bill while the restaurant closed around us. We thought we were on Candid camera or something and after like 40 minutes of waiting we were both felt too awkward to ask for our bill. Finally, this new manager brought it to us and told us that their debit machine was not not working and that was why we had to wait literally an hour! Oh and her and a server got in a fight over what he was going to be payed. The manager actually had the nerve to say that she would not pay for his work because he was too slow at cashing out! So yeah, I would stay away.

For quick food Delicado's on Fort is nice also. Sort of southwest mexicanish food. Umm....Cafe Brio for something special...also on Fort.

and for the best benny ever john's place on pandora

Aaron

#15 mondurvic

mondurvic
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

SYN on Yates, across from the Odeon, is good. Two for one appies from 4:30 - 6. Extensive menu. Sweet service.

#16 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

These are the places I find myself going to most often:

Pho Hoa on fort (there is a wack of them actually), I've gone to three pho places in Victoria and my favorite is still the tacky little chain one. The people there are really friendly and it is always busy. My favorite for sushi is Shiki sushi also on Fort. Someone said Sen Zushi was their favorite and I have to disagree. I went there once and had a horrible experience. My boyfriend and I were left at the table waiting for our bill while the restaurant closed around us. We thought we were on Candid camera or something and after like 40 minutes of waiting we were both felt too awkward to ask for our bill. Finally, this new manager brought it to us and told us that their debit machine was not not working and that was why we had to wait literally an hour! Oh and her and a server got in a fight over what he was going to be payed. The manager actually had the nerve to say that she would not pay for his work because he was too slow at cashing out! So yeah, I would stay away.

For quick food Delicado's on Fort is nice also. Sort of southwest mexicanish food. Umm....Cafe Brio for something special...also on Fort.

and for the best benny ever john's place on pandora

Aaron

You know, Ive found it bizarre that alot of people in Victoria havent picked up on the Pho restaurants yet. Pho Hoa is great! There's tns of them here in Vancouver as well.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:58 AM

You don't need the name. Just walk on Langley street. Trust me you will not be confused as to which place is Lebanese! :)

They have an awesome daily lunch special. It is quite popular with us Government types.

Accross from Temple?

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

Yup though closer to the Broughton end of Langley.

It has a whole new look!

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

Sweet! Sharwarma here we come!

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:45 AM

GumGum you are going to kill me I just remembered a guy I met there is Lebanese...

The food is Persian. They do have Sharwarma though I think or some similar concoction.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users