Photo

[Quadra/Hillside] Volvo dealership (Hillside/Douglas) | Built - completed in 2006

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

I think it's a bit overwhelmingly white, and would look better if the 2nd floor had more glass or something to break it up a bit.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

Yeah it is very white. But it cool how it floows the street front. If someone put in an office with retail on the Holiday court site that area would be moving towards improvement.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

An office tower was proposed on Market Street several years back. The city's position was, it didn't want satellite office districts competing with downtown.

I'd prefer to see Corazon-style condos on the motel site and on the parking lot across the street beside the heritage building.

I would absolutely love to see that Hillside/Douglas area densify.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

It looks like a BC Ferry Spirit-class vessel.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

I thought Victorians didn't like ferry-style architecture?

Nor is Savoie enthused about the arena’s design, which to her is bland and unexceptional. (To some, it looks like a beached BC ferry.)

#6 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

I wonder if streamline moderne was the look they were trying to achieve?

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

They MUST have a "Volvo" sign for the rounded portion on the top on order or something. That would help.

#8 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

That's a cool building. I approve.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

It is very ikea esque when viewed from other angles.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

Man I thought it'd be a little better, the colour isn't the best, If the changed the colour it'd bring out the form a little more.

#11 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:09 PM

I'm not a big fan at all. It's a box store, with a curve thrown in and more glass than normal. It also has an awkward looking outside staircase on the Hillside side (say that quickly 5 times) and besides the glass the quality of the material used and workmanship is average at best. It will look more complete once the Volvo sign is up, and yes it is better than most car lot buildings, so maybe that's progress in this city.

I'm surprised Oxford is crapping all over this one, as he's always talking about how this city settles for mediocre.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

It would be a lot cooler if that top portion turned and all the Volvo models were mounted on it. And they came out and turned and did pirouettes like those giant cuckoo clocks they have on old German buildings.

Is that asking too much?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

I'm surprised Oxford is crapping all over this one, as he's always talking about how this city settles for mediocre.

Did you mean to write "isn't"?

#14 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:19 PM

whoops yes.. ISN'T!! :oops:

#15 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

I started this thread and criticized it, didn't I?

#16 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

#17 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi everyone,
I like the style but it is not completed...yet. Add some signage, fill the building with cars of various colours, some plants and I think this will look better.
The designers obviously wanted to get full use of the land available. Higher density I think this is called.
Now what will they do with the former site?

Doc Sage

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

Yeah. We've often guilty here of passing judgement on a building before it's even finished. Myself included.
Welcome to the forum Doc Sage!

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

It's an OK building, but I am sorry at such a signficant intersection, did we really need another car dealership? I understand the city wanted something "important" at this site and what did we get? An average at best take on streamline moderne auto dealership on a lot too small to accomodate the product they are planning to sell. Has anyone taken a look at how little space there actully is for the cars? And don't get me started on the staircase. I guess it could have been worse.. it might have been IKEA blue and yellow. Oh well, let's hope the Holiday Court goes up in smoke soon and another opportunity can be wasted.

#20 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

It does pale in comparison to the urbanity exhibited across hillside!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users