Photo

[Quadra/Hillside] Volvo dealership (Hillside/Douglas) | Built - completed in 2006

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

Hi everyone,
I like the style but it is not completed...yet. Add some signage, fill the building with cars of various colours, some plants and I think this will look better.
The designers obviously wanted to get full use of the land available. Higher density I think this is called.
Now what will they do with the former site?

Doc Sage

There is a condo building going in at the corner of Cook and Johnson called "C&J" which will take up the Volvo dealership's old parking lot.

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

"C&J" has been proposed but not approved correct Photogirl?

#23 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

I'm not sure if it has been approved or not yet.

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

There's already a thead in the midst on that proposal Photogirl and Nparker.
http://www.vibrantvi...topic.php?t=220

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

Thannk gum gum. I had not been to that thread in a while. Have to say though that the proposal for that site it too short. Make it 15 stories and slimmer and we can talk.

#26 Betty

Betty
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

Ok, building esthetics aside this has got to be the STUPIDEST place for a car dealership. As others have mentioned there is little to no space in and around the building, not to mention the havoc it might play with traffic at such a busy intersection. As I live in the 'hood and walk by this intersection daily I just can't help but shake my head every time I walk by...

and just for the record I think the building it's self sucks; it's a box with a rounded corner and some pathetic ass crown on top. Finished or not finished this building does and will do nothing to "spruce" up this area of town.

#27 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

The circle thing on the roof reminds me of this one on Blanshard

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

That strip mall is about 20 years old I think. Used to be a big warehouse there.

Those cruel bastards at Raymonds Restaurant should burn for putting a giant ice cream cone in the window right beside a Jenny Craig! That's cruel and unusual punishment.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:13 AM

Those cruel bastards at Raymonds Restaurant should burn for putting a giant ice cream cone in the window right beside a Jenny Craig! That's cruel and unusual punishment.

Oh!!! And I thinking that Jenny Craig had these installed to incease their customer flow. Loose a few pound, reward oneself with ice cream next door, return to loose recent gain. It's a plus/plus arrangement for both establishments. LOL

Doc Sage

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

It's unfortunate such a key site is being wasted on yet another car dealership, but I disagree that this Volvo building is ugly. It's the best auto dealership building on the strip, by far.

In particular, I think they deserve points for building it right to the sidewalk. That's exactly what that corner needed. Now will the dealership across from Denny's (and Mayfair Mall, too) please follow this example?

I would have preferred a residential highrise with a commercial podium...a proper gateway into downtown...but at the glacial pace at which things happen in Victoria, I expect I'll be waiting another fifty years at least for something like that to happen around Hillside and Douglas.

#31 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

they deserve points for building it right to the sidewalk

I agree

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

Love it or hate it (or something in between), I think the Volvo dealership is a huge step forward compared to other developments on the strip, like that very suburban motel on the other side of Douglas. Geez, you're entering downtown Victoria but you'd think you were entering downtown Langford. Buildings like that motel are an offense to that area's history and its legitimate heritage buildings (many of which are still standing a stone's throw away, like it or not).

I also have a problem with the old Future Shop complex across from Canadian Tire. Did a flying saucer pluck that strip mall out of Sooke and drop it onto Douglas Street?

And then there's the VanCity building kittycorner to Denny's. All in all it's a perfectly fine little building, but it's also perfectly out of place on that corner.

An ugly urban strip is bad enough, but when the urban strip poses as a suburban strip it only adds absurdity to the ugliness.

#33 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

I wonder if the landowner of this site has first bid on the lot next door (the truck topper space). This would work great for the Volvo image.

Doc Sage

#34 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:48 PM

Maybe Volvo will move back to the Hillside location.

Purchase of Cook Street's Volvo property represents auto industry's downtown phase-out
https://victoria.cit...town-phase-out/
  • Nparker likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 February 2023 - 08:34 AM

^and we have our answer!

It might line up exactly 20 years between the Douglas and Hillside Volvo dealership completing, to a new dealership completing on Government Street.

Volvo's planned downtown departure could end Harris Green's era of car dealership dominance
https://victoria.cit...ship-dominance/
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users