UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Sandown Park Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 10330 McDonald Park Road
Municipality: North Saanich
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 1
Sandown Parking Shopping Centre is a 140,000 square foot retail plaza along McDonald Park Road in North Saanic... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sandown Park Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Saanich] Sandown Park Shopping Centre | Retail

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

^correct.  If I recall correctly Omicron has two projects they are developing Harbour Towers and Sidney Crossing in town.  they are also construction managers on the BC Hydro Royal Oak office redevelopment.  I can't think of others, not saying there aren't.

Edited by tjv, 05 June 2018 - 04:48 PM.

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

I saw that today. The hydro HQ looks good!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

The Canadian Tire here opens at the end of October, per the TC. Just in time for discounted Halloween candy.

https://www.timescol...nich-1.23442444

#104 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:46 AM

The Canadian Tire here opens at the end of October, per the TC. Just in time for discounted Halloween candy.

https://www.timescol...nich-1.23442444

You missed the discounted candy already. That was last week.

• Mike K. likes this

#105 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

When I started the thread in April about Five Guys coming to Victoria late 2018/early 2019. I never mentioned the person from the Vancouver store said one downtown location and one by the airport... I could easily see it going in here

• Mike K. likes this

#106 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:37 PM

Oh interesting. I assumed downtown and Langford.

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

I'd be inclined to think it'll be located at Sidney Crossing?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:12 AM

I have heard the Canadian Tire is having trouble finding staff and may not open on time.

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

indeed that could be troublesome finding near minimum-wage staff with cars or friends/family wanting to drive way out there to pick up and drop off.

#110 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

No surprise there, everyone is having trouble finding staff.  I laugh when I see now hiring signs, etc.  I sometimes look thru usedvictoria just for fun to see the attitude of employers.  One restaurant who was paying exactly minimum wage was only taking applications in person with resume in hand for a dishwasher job.  Its like the employer has no clue because they are paying minimum wage, want someone to take the time to go down there in person with a resume vs an email, and they want a resume for a zero skill job

On the other hand I'm paying $20 to start at my company and I have trouble finding people.  Projects in Sidney pay extra to compensate for gas or bus time

• AllseeingEye and lanforod like this

#111 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:39 PM

No surprise there, everyone is having trouble finding staff.  I laugh when I see now hiring signs, etc.  I sometimes look thru usedvictoria just for fun to see the attitude of employers.  One restaurant who was paying exactly minimum wage was only taking applications in person with resume in hand for a dishwasher job.  Its like the employer has no clue because they are paying minimum wage, want someone to take the time to go down there in person with a resume vs an email, and they want a resume for a zero skill job

On the other hand I'm paying $20 to start at my company and I have trouble finding people.  Projects in Sidney pay extra to compensate for gas or bus time

Yup I suspect the CRD is a microcosm for what ails many BC, even Canadian, employers.

I routinely get recruited by Vancouver-area employers including both Canadian and multinational financial firms. I make it pretty plain to any recruiter I talk to that my minimum $ figure to move back to YVR - or ideally work 3-4 days a week there and at least one day in Victoria - is $135K in addition to some sort of personal or organization KPI-based bonus. That is my opening minimum that I will consider.

One large international bank in particular (and bear in mind it makes billions in after-tax revenue per annum) keeps pounding on my door....."senior operations management...blah blah blah....beautiful downtown Vancouver office......30-40 direct reports...yada, yada......$80K. No bonus plan"....

.....I had to waste ten minutes of my time explaining to the New Jersey based recruiter why that barely qualifies as a supervisor salary in the YVR market. I had to educate him on the basics like the cost of living, rent, gas, food etc. He had no clue, none. The position is still open last I checked.....

Same issue dogs local employers on a smaller scale; its expensive to put a roof over your head in Victoria. Its expensive to maintain and gas up a vehicle. Unless the employee lives right next door its not only expensive but can be a real grind time-wise just getting to the Sandown location. If they happen to be a single parent - or even a couple with no family to assist - there might be daycare costs which I know from our neighbor's is freakishly expensive. All that for minimum wage? Er....not likely.

That all said I would think given the location of this CTC there would be plenty of FN interest on the peninsula especially among the younger people - no?

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 October 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#112 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:43 PM

Yup I suspect the CRD is a microcosm for what ails many BC, even Canadian, employers.

I routinely get recruited by Vancouver-area employers including both Canadian and multinational financial firms. I make it pretty plain to any recruiter I talk to that my minimum $ figure to move back to YVR - or ideally work 3-4 days a week there and at least one day in Victoria - is $135K in addition to some sort of personal or organization KPI-based bonus. That is my opening minimum that I will consider.

One large international bank in particular (and bear in mind it makes billions in after-tax revenue per annum) keeps pounding on my door....."senior operations management...blah blah blah....beautiful downtown Vancouver office......30-40 direct reports...yada, yada......$80K. No bonus plan"....

.....I had to waste ten minutes of my time explaining to the New Jersey based recruiter why that barely qualifies as a supervisor salary in the YVR market. I had to educate him on the basics like the cost of living, rent, gas, food etc. He had no clue, none. The position is still open last I checked.....

Same issue dogs local employers on a smaller scale; its expensive to put a roof over your head in Victoria. Its expensive to maintain and gas up a vehicle. Unless the employee lives right next door its not only expensive but can be a real grind time-wise just getting to the Sandown location. If they happen to be a single parent - or even a couple with no family to assist - there might be daycare costs which I know from our neighbor's is freakishly expensive. All that for minimum wage? Er....not likely.

That all said I would think given the location of this CTC there would be plenty of FN interest on the peninsula especially among the younger people - no?

You forgot to mention FISHING and that you take Thursday till Tuesday OFF.   :)

• AllseeingEye likes this

#113 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

I don't bother responding to recruiters for YVR jobs anymore.

#114 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:27 PM

I actually get the same thing.  Interesting you put on $135k as I have always struggled with how much to demand extra for YVR although I am not moving and demand they fly me in and out plus put me up in a decent place in Vancouver.  I can get 180-200k here, but there is no way I could demand 135k on top of that.  Regardless I am not interested in even working in YVR during the week without mega money

Every employer is having difficulty finding workers, don't you see the lack of help in stores, the long lines everywhere.  I talk to my lawyers and they are having trouble finding people.  Its a different labor market out there from 20 years ago.  Not sure how it will change in the coming years.

As a businessman its also a different market out there as clients aren't willing to pay the increased costs here.  I had one guy ask me to price a job in a mall, it had to be done at nights, etc and was shocked at the price.  I told him the extra cost was the labor premium I had included just for my workers to consider showing up for a night shift

• AllseeingEye likes this

#115 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

And just to balance things out. Im making $60-70k in government, supporting a family of 3. Living paycheque to paycheque but still have enough to occasionally eat out, my car works, we own a condo.

Not everyone makes $150k in this region. Statistics say the average income earner is much closer to my range than yours.

#116 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

^I wasn't saying it to brag and I know I am very fortunate to make what I do. My point was to say employees have a lot of power and choices right now and they don't have to take the first thing that was offered to them.  I would think employees should be interviewing their employer, get several offers and decide what is best for them (basically the exact opposite of what used to happen)

#117 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

I have heard the Canadian Tire is having trouble finding staff and may not open on time.

No surprise here. I live relatively close by and rented out my suite to an individual with the helicopter squadron. Unfortunately, I don't think a Cnd Tire employee would be able to afford the suite.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#118 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

And just to balance things out. Im making $60-70k in government, supporting a family of 3. Living paycheque to paycheque but still have enough to occasionally eat out, my car works, we own a condo.

Not everyone makes $150k in this region. Statistics say the average income earner is much closer to my range than yours.

$70k + $20-25k in benefits. Probably a super short commute, too. Not bad.

I make less than $100k here, but I'd need $200k to move to Van. I ain't going back to the rental grind.

The labour market will cool off. Always does.

#119 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

Canadian Tire would be a great place for a bored pensioner to work.

#120 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

Canadian Tire would be a great place for a bored pensioner to work.

" are you talking to me "

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users