The Murals of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#161 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

I noticed some areas of the mural painted over a few weeks back. Honestly though it looked like the paint was to cover some lewd grafitti. Not sure why I thought that, but i recall even commenting to a friend I was driving with about it.

Maybe that was it, maybe the faces got painted with graffiti.  Right across from the police station.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Sad news to report. The Medichair store at Quadra and Caledonia is repainting their exterior. That means that all your favourite disabled characters are gone, including Creepy Walker Grandpa.

It looks as though they are making a large display window left of the front doors.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#163 Baro

Baro
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Where were our so-called heritage advocates protecting this mural ??

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#164 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

Notice ANything?

Edited by HB, 01 October 2014 - 09:06 PM.

• Mr Cook Street and SimonH like this

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,725 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

Artist Ian David George is working on a mural commemorating the life of Daniel Kingsbury, a Victoria musician, life-long entrepreneur, award-winning filmmaker and environmentalist who passed away last year.

The mural is underway between the 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets.

Daniel-Kingsbury-mural-jellyfish-project-ian-david-george-Victoria-BC-July-27-2016b.jpg

Daniel-Kingsbury-mural-jellyfish-project-ian-david-george-Victoria-BC-July-27-2016a.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 20,288 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

...The mural is underway between the 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets...

This mural certainly appears to be quite interesting. I just hope it in no way holds up the much needed redevelopment of this lot.

Capture.JPG

#167 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

I have some photos of Wyland painting the whale wall back in 1987. These photos come from my own personal collection and very few people have ever seen them. 

First photo displaying large framed print of the mural, Second photo Wyland Signing his mural, 3rd photo Robert Bateman signing the mural. I can't remember what Bateman's connection was to the mural, but there he was signing it.

Attached Images

• Framed Print Dispaly.jpg
  • Wyland Signing wall.jpg
  • Robert Bateman Signing Wall.jpg

• Baro, thundergun, todd and 1 other like this

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,725 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:12 AM

Amazing! Thanks for that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:03 AM

A couple of more photos taken at the Brand New whale wall mural back in 1987.  

First photo shows the mural prior to Wyland adding his signature at the bottom, Second photo shows Wyland interacting with a group of children at the mural.

Wall Before being signed.jpg

Wyland with children.jpg

• Mike K., Baro, Bingo and 1 other like this

#170 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

Amazing to see it in perfect condition. I can't help but wonder if an ongoing maintenance program of varnish application would have preserved it.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#171 SimonH

SimonH
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

Is Wyland the guy who paints the NCL cruise ships ?

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#172 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Is Wyland the guy who paints the NCL cruise ships ?

He has painted at least one that I know of. He did a mural on the front of the ship.

#173 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:40 PM

Amazing to see it in perfect condition. I can't help but wonder if an ongoing maintenance program of varnish application would have preserved it.

I believe Wyland would not allow varnish to be put on his murals.  Very few people in Victoria know that our Wyland Whaling wall actually has a name......"A-5 Pod"  Our beautiful  Wyalnd mural was his 13th Whaling wall mural. He has since gone on to do Exactly 100 Whaling wall murals all over the world. 100 was his goal and he would then stop and never do a whaling all again. Our Whaling wall was dedicated June 20th 1987. Wyland then flew right over to Japan where his next whaling wall was dedicated in October 1987. 

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 20,288 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

What is the artist's reasoning for not refurbishing his murals more than once? Does he feel they are supposed to eventually disappear over time?

#175 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

What is the artist's reasoning for not refurbishing his murals more than once? Does he feel they are supposed to eventually disappear over time?

Perhaps.......I have no idea. But many artists have their ways. Sadly the whaling wall is in such poor condition now, that the best option to paint a new mural.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 09 October 2018 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.