Romeo's Place | Victoria | Fisgard at Blanshard

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Seeing as how as we speak they are dismantling the Hudson showroom and moving it into the IBM building at Herald and Douglas, I thought we might as well start wildly speculating on what they will do with this building.

I'll go first and get all the usual suspects out of the way:

Earl's II
Home Depot
Ikea
Urban Fare

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

When you say under construction, what exactly is going on at the site?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

When you say under construction, what exactly is going on at the site?

That might have just been a sloppy clip and paste. I guess it's just "vacant". All the exterior signage and murals have been removed.

#4 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

FYI, Townline doesn't own this building, they only leased it. They also spent $1 million on improvements when they moved in about 2 years ago

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

I have it on fairly good authority that Romeo's is purchasing the property to bring a Romeo's back to the downtown core. Apparently, they were trying to get some space in Atrium, but the lack of parking was a deal-breaker for them - and so Atrium went with Zambri's.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

I have it on fairly good authority that Romeo's is purchasing the property to bring a Romeo's back to the downtown core. Apparently, they were trying to get some space in Atrium, but the lack of parking was a deal-breaker for them - and so Atrium went with Zambri's.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that'd be alright. I don't usually go out of my way to go to a Romeo's, but this would be convenient.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

Romeo's owner buys old Earl's

By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist May 29, 2010 4:16 AM

The former Earl's on Blanshard Street will be renovated to become an Romeo's Place restaurant. Extensive renovations are planned, including a vaulted roof.

The former Earl's on Blanshard Street will be renovated to become an Romeo's Place restaurant. Extensive renovations are planned, including a vaulted roof.
Photograph by: Bruce Stotesbury, Times Colonist, Times Colonist

Romeo's Place is returning to downtown.

[...]

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0pKS7XMoN

Mavrikos said he has been considering several locations downtown for years, but needed parking. His new site will have about 30 spots.

So Earl's moved to a location with no parking (well, I guess it has parking under the mall, but I'm sure no restaurant patrons normally use it) and has been wildly successful, probably does double the business that it did when it had parking. Romeo's come back to town, and wants a space with parking, after operating in a downtown space with about 5 stalls for a decade. Strange.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

Where did Earl's end up?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

Where did Earl's end up?

Government street frontage of the Bay Centre, former Elephant and Castle.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

Government street frontage of the Bay Centre, former Elephant and Castle.

Ah. Well, lots of pedestrian traffic down that way, makes sense that parking isn't a big issue. Just a different crowd.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

It is funny when you think about it. The original Romeo's location downtown had no parking. Then they moved to their new location on the corner which had a handful of spots, but it was always easier to park on the street than to go for one of those. Then they left downtown altogether, and now they're back downtown again but at a location with a lot of parking.

Anyway, their new-and-improved presence on that stretch of Blanshard can only be good, right?

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

It is funny when you think about it. The original Romeo's location downtown had no parking.

Remind me where that was. At the bus stop on Johnson just east of Douglas?

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

I remembered it as being closer to Blanshard but somebody produced a picture that showed it was closer to Douglas.

Here's the picture:
http://accesshealthc...ies/Hub1978.jpg

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

Denford Construction has crews working on-site today.

Can we confirm that the old Hudson sales center will indeed become a Romeo's restaurant?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

Denford Construction has crews working on-site today.

Can we confirm that the old Hudson sales center will indeed become a Romeo's restaurant?

Yes, it's a done deal.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

Should this thread be re-named?

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

They're apparently demolishing about half the building and keeping some of the structure but I think it's going to almost be a new building overall.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

I walked past the site this evening, and at least half of the old space has been demolished.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Today:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

I did the demo on the place if y'all have any questions. I never did see the new plans for the place, so I don't know how much help I can be.
http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users