Photo

Romeo's Place | Victoria | Fisgard at Blanshard

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Clearly this building is two stories, what a misleading thread title! VV is always downplaying height!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

I did the demo on the place if y'all have any questions. I never did see the new plans for the place, so I don't know how much help I can be.

Was the stainless steel exterior from the old Earl's still under the Townline reno? If so, what was underneath the Earl's facade, or was Earl's a new construction?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:59 PM

I believe the Earls exterior was still there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

I believe the Earls exterior was still there.

Correct. Townline built a wall about 2 feet in front of the old Earl's Exterior. All the garage doors, windows, etc of Earls were still there with a sheet of drywall covering them.

It was kinda weird taking a roof off when there is another roof above your head.
http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I am told by a soon-to-be employee here that they are hoping for a mid-October opening.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

Obviously someone was way too optimistic here. Looks like it'll be done by February at best.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

April maybe?

#28 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

April maybe?

Which year?

#29 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

The restaurant is open, this can be marked as complete.

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

The restaurant is open, this can be marked as complete.

Yay! It's close to work & home for me. I will have to check it out soon.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

Yes, it appears to be open.

I think it's a little boring looking. It's nice, new, but not really striking. Starting from scratch pretty much they could have put some kind of "wow" architectural feature into it, like a huge glass entry, but they didn't. The south side and wall facing the parking lot are very plain.

The patio has not yet been set up, there are some large steel mounting plates along the wall there, so it looks like they are expecting to install some type of canopy, or maybe just some gas heaters etc.

#32 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Bunch of expensive pub style food, will skip this one.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

Wildly popular in the 80s, it will be interesting to see if Romeo's recaptures that excitement in today's Prima Strada/Cactus Club/Pink Bicycle era.

When was the last time a purpose-built, stand alone restaurant was built in Victoria?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

Wildly popular in the 80s, it will be interesting to see if Romeo's recaptures that excitement in today's Prima Strada/Cactus Club/Pink Bicycle era.

When was the last time a purpose-built, stand alone restaurant was built in Victoria?

Not on mall property, (Appleby's Saanich, Boston Pizza Vernon Ave., Milestone's Wescom) I think you gotta go back an awful long way.

So I'll say it was either Princess Mary on Harbour Rd., or Hollyrood House. :D

#35 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

I think that the uninspired restaurant design is a pretty good indication of the food. Their grand design is very noveau-riche immigrant: like a 90's Gordon Head McMansion (I speak from experience). I'm sure that they think that they have built something great, when in essence, a remodled version of the open and airy old earls would have been much better. Even their "new" logo is very "so 10 years ago."

Romeo's take on Mediterranean fare hasn't been good since the 80s. Now you have mostly uninspired Sysco brand somewhat pre-prepared food contrasted with what is still (I think, at least) one of the best pizzas in town. It's just too bad that you're in for nearly $50 for two larges, delivered.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Romeo's take on Mediterranean fare hasn't been good since the 80s. Now you have mostly uninspired Sysco brand somewhat pre-prepared food contrasted with what is still (I think, at least) one of the best pizzas in town...

I can't really argue with that espcially about having some of the best pizza in town. However, I think it's unfair to say they haven't been good since the 80's. I think they are good for what they aspire to be. I don't think they have any illusions of being a cutting-edge-nouvelle-cuisine-fusion-eurasion-hybrid restaurant. For a mid-price, vaguely Mediterranean style restaurant that is usually very reliable, I think Romeo's succeeds quite well.

#37 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I can't really argue with that espcially about having some of the best pizza in town. However, I think it's unfair to say they haven't been good since the 80's. I think they are good for what they aspire to be. I don't think they have any illusions of being a cutting-edge-nouvelle-cuisine-fusion-eurasion-hybrid restaurant. For a mid-price, vaguely Mediterranean style restaurant that is usually very reliable, I think Romeo's succeeds quite well.

OK, that's a fair point. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to say that their middling attempts at Mediterranean-inspired classics have been consistent over the years.

On the other hand, NParker, would you agree that "good" is relative? I suppose what I meant by my remarks is that in the 1980s, their food was "good", relative to what was available and the tastes of the time. Our tastes have evolved and our palates refined in the intervening 30 years. For example, could you have imagined a Food Network back in the 1980s (notwithstanding that special networks were in their infancy)? I just find their interpretation of Mediterranean food dated.

In contrast, their pizzas have kept up. They offer whole wheat and gluten crusts, now, and their toppings reflect modern tastes. In the 1980s, for example, was anyone putting chicken, bacon and/or BBQ sauce on pizzas? The duality of Romeo's in this respect is really quite fascinating.

#38 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

^In the early 80s Southside had a duck and papaya pizza on its menu. Does that count?

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

On the other hand, NParker, would you agree that "good" is relative?...I just find their interpretation of Mediterranean food dated...

On this point I have to agree. Of course I almost always have either pizza or a salad at Romeo's so I may not be in the best position to evaluate the rest of their menu.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

In the early 80s Southside had a duck and papaya pizza on its menu. Does that count?

I remember that. I ordered it (at least) once. As I recall it wasn't bad. Would be nice to have Southside reborn.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users