BUILT
Midtown Court
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 740 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Midtown Court is a six storey office and commercial development in the 700-block of Hillside Avenue in Victori... (view full profile)
Learn more about Midtown Court on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside/Gorge] Midtown Court (Andrew Sheret office building) | Office | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

The Holiday Court Motel site on Hillside Ave. between Douglas and Blanshard streets is planned to become an 8-storey office project. The groundfloor is planned for retail.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Thats great news if it actually happens; let us pray and hope that it is a vast improvement over its neighbor across Hillside, on the other side of the Scotiabank parking lot, that god awful "****e" seniors complex built just a few years ago. I put the latter right up there as a contender for Victoria's Ugliest Building.

Hopefully whatever rises in place of the Holiday Court will be an infinitely superior design. However, this is Victoria after all, so I am not holding my breath. Be very happy to be proven wrong though.....

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

I kinda like Ross Place seniors thingy. It looks more like Tuscany from the north side than Tuscany Village does.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

I've never seen Tuscany from the north side, although I hear it's nice. I believe Tuscany Village was supposed to look like Tuscany from the east side.

I'm also no fan of Ross Place (I'd say the new building at the Jubilee Hospital is uglier, but that's just me).

But if Royal Oak and the Selkirk and Vic West are all worthy of perfectly attractive office buildings then surely Hillside & Douglas can be worthy of the same?

Surely??

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:45 AM

Office tower to replace storied motel

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist, Times Colonist May 23, 2010

An eight-storey office building with ground-floor retail is planned for the site of the infamous Holiday Court Motel on Hillside Avenue near Douglas Street.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0olBEC8HF

So if AS leaves their current buildings, maybe something can come of all that funny mess at Douglas/Bay/Kings.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

I am very concerned about the 12 surface spots. Where are they on the site?

If they are in front this should be turned down immediately!

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

Seems like an odd combination to me. There will be a wholesale distibution and warehousing centre, a retail store, 8 stories of offices and a day care?

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

Seems like an odd combination to me. There will be a wholesale distibution and warehousing centre, a retail store, 8 stories of offices and a day care?

Well, they have all of that now less the daycare. They have been able to use (legally or otherwise) the public street of Westbourne Plc. for very short-term storage of big loads coming in by trailer.

I would think they'd need that surface parking at the back near the loading dock(s) to load up incoming plumbers' trucks.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hopefully its out back and not along Hillside or to the side of the proposed building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0olBEC8HF

So if AS leaves their current buildings, maybe something can come of all that funny mess at Douglas/Bay/Kings.

Did you guys catch the title of the article: "Office tower to replace storied motel." Are you freaking serious? Eight stories it what constitutes a tower in this town? I think this is why the rest of the world takes us so seriously. God, we suck.

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Interesting, as I was going to post on that very topic Bob but thought better of it since I've ranted on the subject before and decided to let it pass this time. "Only in Victoria" indeed.

Seems to me a true "tower" is....well like the CN Tower for instance because, um, "tower" is in the name. Technically I seem to recall reading an architecture article many years ago that for many architects a structure was only truly regarded as a TOWER if it were 40 stories or higher.

Funnier still than this Hillside development is the fact that along Gorge Rd East buried amongst the plethora of 'same-style apartments' that characterize and typify much of Victoria's so-called architecture (yawn), there is one called "Gorge Towers". Grand total height? Three stories. And no, I am not kidding.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Technically speaking, a "highrise" is a building of 12-storeys or 36 meters in height. A "skyscraper" is a building of 150 meters, regardless of floors. The word "tower" does not refer to a specific height.

Know it all.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Correct and the article of course was being subjective - a tower can be anything one wants it to be. To my point however, and Bob's, only in Victoria can an 8-storey building be referred to with a straight face as a "tower". Hell given a sufficient tail wind I can spit higher than that....

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

It's silly, ain't it? We've raised this issue so many times over the years and the city's largest newspaper continues to incorrectly label structures.

However, and perhaps someone can confirm this, the City of Victoria's definitions of building heights states that a building of 7 or more storeys is a "tower."

Know it all.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

I'd have no problem calling it a tower if it's 90 feet tall and 30 feet wide. It's all about the proportions.

#16 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

James Bay is full of 'towers'.

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

yeah I've always thought of towers more in terms of proportions. A little 4m platform with ladder under it is a tower, but a 30x8m building is just 3 story apartment block. A tower is any sort of structure that's more than about 1.5 times as tall as it is wide in my mind.

In Victoria's terms though, BC place would be a tower, the empress is a tower, just about any stadium would be a tower. The word loses all meaning.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Those efftards who opposed the Mount St. Angela development called that 6-story proposal "towers." And so did the pols at city hall. Yep, we suck (as per Bob Fugger). I don't understand why this continues.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

It really does make a mockery of informed consideration of development proposals if everything is a tower just because. The Chelsea, too. Remember that?

Victoria is also one of those odd places in which a proposed building can be smeared as a tower even though there are much larger/taller buildings around it that aren't towers.

#20 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

Looking at the aerial photo of the site it appears fairly large. Lots of room for a tower on the south side of the site along Hillside Avenue, plus lots of room at the north side for a lowrise structure and loading bay and parking.

--> http://www.bing.com/...66, -123.365601

I wonder, is the vacant lot behind Long & McQuade part of this development as well?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users