BUILT
Midtown Court
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 740 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Midtown Court is a six storey office and commercial development in the 700-block of Hillside Avenue in Victori... (view full profile)
Learn more about Midtown Court on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside/Gorge] Midtown Court (Andrew Sheret office building) | Office | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#181 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

^ Well if the city keeps allowing buildings like this then I would guess not but any district has the potential to be a new destination centre with enough planning. This intersection provides a pretty cool centre-piece to what could be a cool area.

I think you need to focus what areas you are going to make "new destinations".  Is this intersection really one on anybody's list?

#182 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

Mine I guess. It is a neat intersection with a lot of potential plus a lot of development sites nearby.

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

The Scott Building at Hillside and Douglas, that ivy-covered building at Government and Bay and the L'el'and Building at Bay and Douglas are all heritage-worthy (if not heritage already) anchors that should have directed the "urban" development of the area. You can tell the city's forefathers felt quite different about this area but since the latter half of the 20th century development turned in a completely different direction and destroyed any semblance of this being a walkable, urban district suitable of holding down a name like "midtown."

About 20 years ago the strip mall where Wendy's is now was earmarked for a couple of office buildings (towers?). The strip mall now sits on what was once a dug out foundation not unlike the Radius site.

• G-Man and Nparker like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

About 20 years ago the strip mall where Wendy's is now was earmarked for a couple of office buildings (towers?). The strip mall now sits on what was once a dug out foundation not unlike the Radius site.

I believe the hole was on the northern side of that lot. It became the CBC/CHEK building.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#185 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Maybe this will spur development across the street in the empty lot next to the Scott Bldg. There are some sweet sites around there.

I believe the hole was on the northern side of that lot. It became the CBC/CHEK building.

No, wrong site. Under the Wendy's mall there is an abandoned parkade buried Pompeii-style with community rubbish and fill.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#186 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

#187 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I thought the abandoned pre-Wendy's project was a hotel. Did I imagine that?

#188 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

Maybe this will spur development across the street in the empty lot next to the Scott Bldg. There are some sweet sites around there.

No, wrong site. Under the Wendy's mall there is an abandoned parkade buried Pompeii-style with community rubbish and fill.

Correct, that was Victorias lake in the early 80s from the abandoned construction project when interest rates went skyhigh

#189 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Mine I guess. It is a neat intersection with a lot of potential plus a lot of development sites nearby.

That "neat" intersection is terrible for pedestrians.  It'll be a long time before this gets turned into a walkable urban streetscape, and it'd have been pretty unfair of council to force this developer to fit that mold when the dominant local paradigm is car-oriented service and large retail businesses.

#190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

There's really no harm in moving things in a certain direction, though, and the City certainly isn't hiding it's pro-cycling and pro-walking agenda elsewhere. Quadra Village, just two blocks away, is a walkable urban neighbourhood and the upcoming seniors complex on the elementary school site will add quite a significant amount of pedestrian activity. And as we see with the historic buildings in the neighbourhood the intent of this area was to create a midtown shopping/urban district north of downtown, but since the 60's things went completely sideways and have been butchered by quasi industrial, quasi-residential and quasi-commercial developments that have absolutely no relation to one another. It's a shameful mess that neighbourhood.

City Hall too easily drops the ball in some instances while in others unnecessarily obstructs legitimate urban design and redevelopment.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

From earlier today.

Notice the granite and the material that is adhered to the back of it. This metal honeycomb material makes the tiles less expensive and lighter.

Midtown-Court-March-11-2014c.jpg

Midtown-Court-March-11-2014b.jpg

Midtown-Court-March-11-2014a.jpg

Know it all.

#192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

You can see the marble that has been installed along the west face.

Midtown-Court-March-28-2014.jpg

Know it all.

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Midtown-Court-April-05-2014.jpg

Know it all.

#194 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

So it would seem this is just about to top out at its staggering 6 floors?

#195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Yes, six from Hillside and seven from Market.

Know it all.

#196 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Once again, a Victoria project that could have been so much better. A few floors taller (10 altogether perhaps) with maybe a mix of commercial, office and residential and I think we'd have a winner. Instead we'll have a truncated office building that will likely struggle to find tenants.

#197 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

The roof has been poured.. Crane goes away.. mid or end of May I understand.. I forget exactly which..

cakes..

#198 VicBiker

VicBiker
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

photohillside.JPG I believe the crane is schedule to come down mid to late June.   It is still required for the exterior curtain wall likely.  Here is a photo with the glass in to the top of the first office level. 

• Mike K. likes this

#199 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Welcome to VV, VicBiker, and thank you for the photo update!

Know it all.

#200 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

The windows are starting to go in and this building is very glassy and kind of chic. Not a bad look IMO. Maybe there is hope, but that rendering is extra ugly.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users