[Burnside/Gorge] 909 Pembroke | Built - renovations completed

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:41 AM

You know, I don't know how we'll not end up remediating every single condo ever built until every building has rain-screen walls.

909 Pembroke was built in 1977 as an apartment and converted to condos some time in the 90's I believe.

Scaffolding going up today.

I wonder about the Sandpiper. It was built in 1982 and has both brick and stucco finishing.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

Can you confirm it's leaky? It could be getting a mere paint job. Condos from that era are generally pretty good leak-wise. It was the next generation's air tight California-style stucco that had the problems.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

That's a lot of scaffolding for paint.

We just had ours painted and they used a couple of these:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Can you confirm it's leaky? It could be getting a mere paint job. Condos from that era are generally pretty good leak-wise. It was the next generation's air tight California-style stucco that had the problems.

What Seberry said. Even if they were using scaffolding they would not scaffold the entire building prior to painting.

#5 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

Hey, I know people who live there. I understand they are getting new decks.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:17 AM

Hey, I know people who live there. I understand they are getting new decks.

Hmm, like a modernization to glass railings etc?

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

The scope involves mainly replacing the windows, some structural upgrade to the balcony walls, but I really wouldn't classify the building as "leaky".

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

The scope involves mainly replacing the windows, some structural upgrade to the balcony walls, but I really wouldn't classify the building as "leaky".

Well, that sounds like an engineer has deemed the work necessary, it's not that the owners all agreed to spend all that money at once. Most buildings that are not leaky will let individual owners replace windows themselves, of course within guidelines the strata sets.

#9 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

^ Maybe - however exterior cladding, including windows, is a strata corp responsibility. A good corp will have saved to have them periodically replaced - 40 years sounds about right to me.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

I sold installed windows for almost 10 years. I probably sold into over 100 different complexes, but to individual owners. I only recall once ever bidding on a project where all the owners came together and decided to replace windows together, it was about a 16-unit complex in Sooke.

It's very rare to find a strata that has built up a significant enough contingency fund to renew exterior cladding without a special assessment. It's too bad, but it just doesn't happen. Especially in a large one like 909 Pembroke that has a high rental-unit percentage.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

I replaced the windows in my place ourselves.

It was discussed at a general meeting as to who is responsible for window replacement. Basically it comes down to this - if the glass has cracked then it is a building envelope problem and the strata corp. is responsible for the repair. If the seals have failed and condensation gets into the glass then it is the homeowner's responsibility.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

if the glass has cracked then it is a building envelope problem and the strata corp. is responsible for the repair. If the seals have failed and condensation gets into the glass then it is the homeowner's responsibility.

At our condo, breaks and failed seals are both considered faults in the building envelope and are covered by the strata.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

At our condo, breaks and failed seals are both considered faults in the building envelope and are covered by the strata.

It is only a cosmetic problem, so is not usually covered by your strata. But I do know of some condos and townhouse projects where the strata has paid for it, and I also know one where the strata paid for half for any owners wanting the glass replaced.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

Interesting. I wonder if there are any provincial strata regulations that cover things like this. That was the big battle in our building - what are the regulations outlining this.

Perhaps the title of this thread should be renamed? Nobody wants the words "leaky condo" associated with their building.

Actually, why don't we just use this thread for "Victoria condo improvements and problems"?

I'd like to know what is happening with the Stadacona center building. I see a few units on MLS that look to be rather under-priced and a couple listings say that the building needs work.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

I'd like to know what is happening with the Stadacona center building. I see a few units on MLS that look to be rather under-priced and a couple listings say that the building needs work.

Yes, I see that too. A full-scale remediation there could be costly, I bet.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

Yes, I see that too. A full-scale remediation there could be costly, I bet.

From what I heard there were some water problems and also problems with the pool. (Thank god I don't have a pool in my building).

I live right across from it and it doesn't look to be a particularly well maintained building, but I could be wrong.

There's a nicely updated unit in there for sale at $249,000, 60k less than a unit of similar size and features currently for sale in my building. (From the pictures I don't think the one in my building been updated all that nicely either)

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

It is only a cosmetic problem, so is not usually covered by your strata. But I do know of some condos and townhouse projects where the strata has paid for it, and I also know one where the strata paid for half for any owners wanting the glass replaced.

I'm happy that I got mine replaced. The only downside is that I didn't get ones that open (deck doors open). It is nice to have the low-e coatings to keep the solar heat down a bit and I got a laminated window for the bedroom to cut down on road noise. Next up is some felt pads for my neighbor's bed legs :P

#18 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

I dunno. On page 20.4 of the Who is Responsible for Repairs? it states:

Under the Standard Bylaws, owners are required to maintain and repair LCP
which they have the use of, except the following LCP, which the strata
corporation repairs and maintains:
doors, windows and skylights on the exterior of a building or that front on the
common property;

Seems pretty unambiguous to me. Perhaps many condos have bylaws that modify the Standard Bylaws in this respect? Ours certainly doesn't, and the strata is responsible for windows.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

I dunno. On page 20.4 of the Who is Responsible for Repairs? it states:

Seems pretty unambiguous to me. Perhaps many condos have bylaws that modify the Standard Bylaws in this respect? Ours certainly doesn't, and the strata is responsible for windows.

I guess that the thing is, a broken seal of a window is purely cosmetic. It in no way affects the performance if the window, the break in the seal is not big enough to change the r-value, and even though I have seen windows so far gone that they have a 1/4" of water in the bottom of them, that still isn't affecting its operation or harming the building envelope. So you could say it is cosmetic in the same way as if someone did not clean the inside of the windows, or their accessible patio doors on the outside, and that cleaning is not the responsibility of the strata.

Having said all that, there may have been a change in 2001 according to this. My experience in the industry is before 2001.

#20 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

^ Gotchya. But if there was moisture inside the unit, then I think the owner could force the strata to pay.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users