Photo

Councillor Chandler stepping down in September 2010

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

I can see the benefits of having longer terms. Not only the cost savings but having an extra year to accomplish your goals lessens the risk of being associated with a single issue or controversy. Three years is not a long time politically.

It is for this council.

#42 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

Victoria businessman Barry Hobbis considering council seat in by-election
BY CARLA WILSON

Victoria businessman Barry Hobbis is first out of the gate to confirm he’s considering running in the city council by-election for Coun. Sonya Chandler’s seat.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0pX0rORAP

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

^How can you be first out of the gate to think about something?

Wayne Hollohan and I were invited on C-FAX last week and we both said we were considering. Or at least I assume Wayne was--I didn't hear his segment.

#44 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

^How can you be first out of the gate to think about something?

Wayne Hollohan and I were invited on C-FAX last week and we both said we were considering. Or at least I assume Wayne was--I didn't hear his segment.

They're just reinforcing for the public the fact that considering, dithering, winging is actually considered to be action at the CoV. In other news, I saw construction plans for a bungalow in-fill somewhere in Rockland. This one-storey tower is likely to get that entire neighbourhood's knickers in a knot!

I love news reporting in this town!!! :rolleyes:

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

They're just reinforcing for the public the fact that considering, dithering, winging is actually considered to be action at the CoV.
I love news reporting in this town!!! :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. Ridiculous.

#46 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

No, there was no by-election when Coun. Chandler went on maternity leave.
Pieta VanDyke

#47 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

Re. emoticons and maternity leave: I wasn't rolling my eyes at maternity leave, I was rolling them at Chandler's sense of timing.

Sure, women (and men) are entitled to maternity (and in some enlightened instances even paternity) leave. That said, politics is a bit of a special case, imo. (If you all want to jump on me for thinking that, fine: we must agree to disagree.)

Here's why I think a politician is different from an employee: A politician is elected for a relatively short period of time, has to hit the ground running, has a very steep learning curve, and is elected as the ears and the mouth of her constituency.

This means that she is not interchangeable, which in turn means that if she takes time off for maternity, she cannot be (temporarily) replaced by someone else (as is the case in regular work situations where it's always possible to hire someone else who fills in).

I don't have the time line in front of me, but iirc, Chandler took maternity quite soon into her first term. It made me wonder how good she is at planning (politicians should be able to plan - we expect them to plan and envision a city's future, so I don't think it's unfair to ask them to be able to plan their families). But, ok, so she took some time out for maternity leave in her first term, and it was pretty clear she was going to run again, so I thought, "ok, she'll make it up in her second term."

But what does she do before her second term is up? She leaves to study abroad - which, by the way, took a lot of planning and wasn't an accident. She must have researched scholarships and programs well in advance, and certainly would have been applying for same last year.

For all the reasons I outlined above regarding what I believe politicians owe the people who elect them, I feel that Chandler has acted irresponsibly. The first time was sort of ok, this second time, however, suggests that she's more interested in pursuing her own self-interests first and foremost rather than representing the people who voted for her.

That's what I was rolling my eyes at.

One last thing: I realize that Wayne Hollohan may have been referring to something completely different, so apologies to him if I dragged him into my view of what constitutes a decent politician and what constitutes a more opportunistic one.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#48 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

No, there was no by-election when Coun. Chandler went on maternity leave.

So, when she ran most recently, her website stated at that time (and still does) she is 'thinking' about expanding her education - the community, presumably knew she might leave early again, as she did for Mat. leave and still the electorate voted her in. Why will this most recently announced departure trigger a by-election then?
:cool:

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

The departure would extend beyond the next muni election one could presume.

#50 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

^^ Interesting (re. Chandler's website info about expanding her education) - I did not know that (haven't checked her site). Makes me wonder about who voted for her.

As for the question, why her current move triggers a by-election, my understanding is that it's required under municipal law (although it doesn't apply to maternity leave - presumably because the latter isn't for a long time?, a lot depends on how long a mother decides to take off?, some mothers take 2 weeks, others 6 months? longer? - not sure, thinking out loud...). What's the law on maternity leave (length), and how do the time frames compare with what triggers a by-election?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

Why will this most recently announced departure trigger a by-election then?

If someone resigns outside of x number of days before the next scheduled election, a by-election must be held. ie. if she resigned in January, or May 2011 they might not have had to call one. I'm not sure if it is one year or what the time-line is.

#52 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

@ G-Man (who posted while I was scribbling): that makes sense (as a benchmark & trigger).

#53 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

There is a time period for which they do not need to hold a by-election. There have also been people that did not resign when they should have because they did not want to trigger a by-election.

In this case, because we are having a vote anyway because of the bridge, the additional cost if minimal.

I realize I have not read the rules on nomination periods and campaign periods for a by-election.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

I realize I have not read the rules on nomination periods and campaign periods for a by-election.

I read a bit. There is no "campaign window", you could start doing it 2.99 years in advance, or more I suppose, but that might be confusing if you campaigned for 5 years before the election.

#55 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Re. emoticons and maternity leave: I wasn't rolling my eyes at maternity leave, I was rolling them at Chandler's sense of timing.

Sure, women (and men) are entitled to maternity (and in some enlightened instances even paternity) leave. That said, politics is a bit of a special case, imo. (If you all want to jump on me for thinking that, fine: we must agree to disagree.)

I have to agree 100%. These people are running for short terms which they are responsible to those that elect them. In my eyes being on City counsel is not simply a job, there should be a higher level of obligation and responsibility. While I am not against maternity leave, I think its fair to question the priorities of anyone who runs for office and then takes time off. The exception to this is a family, health or other sort of crisis.

Not at all at the same level, but I sit on a board of directors for a small organization. We have a couple board members that frequently miss meeting and overall do very little. I understand that people have family and work responsibilities, but you have to really question why these people ran for a position when they clearly don't have the time.

#56 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

sorted this out with Rob Woodland at CoV last week, and reviewing the Local Government act

A by-election does not have to be called if the seat becomes open for whatever reason on, or after, Jan 1st in the same year as the election. As Sonya is resigning on Sept. 1st, the year before the 2011 elections the by-election is required.

CoV plans to hold the JSB referendum and by-election on the same day - either Nov. 20th or Nov. 27th.

The nomination window starts 46 days before the election date, and ends 36 days before the poll. A 10 day window. Candidates require the maximum under the act of 25 nominators and $100.

#57 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

But what does she do before her second term is up? She leaves to study abroad - which, by the way, took a lot of planning and wasn't an accident. She must have researched scholarships and programs well in advance, and certainly would have been applying for same last year.

For all the reasons I outlined above regarding what I believe politicians owe the people who elect them, I feel that Chandler has acted irresponsibly. The first time was sort of ok, this second time, however, suggests that she's more interested in pursuing her own self-interests first and foremost rather than representing the people who voted for her.

That's what I was rolling my eyes at.

I totally agree. Throughout the entire election campaign, themes of trust, commitment and integrity are bandied about like they actually mean something. And what happened here? Essentially, she ditches us when something better came along. I'm sorry, but when you're elected, you commit to being there for a finite term. When you quit, somebody better be sick or dying. Christ, this isn't a dishwashing job that she ditched for a job waitressing at another restaurant.

I would even go as far to say that she acted deceitfully, going about her council business, all the while daydreaming of her European sojourn (b/c as Miss B mentioned, pulling off a move like this takes a hell of a lot of planning just for yourself, let alone factoring in you infant child and spouse). Imagine speaking with City staff about multi-year capital planning, all the while knowing that you'd be effing off after the summer, anyways!? Brutal.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

While I am not against maternity leave, I think its fair to question the priorities of anyone who runs for office and then takes time off. The exception to this is a family, health or other sort of crisis.

Even with careful planning and precautions, some people get pregnant sometimes. I really have trouble thinking that a pregnancy is always a planned time off.

#59 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

^Fair enough ... but walking away now too ..

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

... she is 'thinking' about expanding her education - the community, presumably knew she might leave early again, as she did for Mat. leave and still the electorate voted her in. Why will this most recently announced departure trigger a by-election then?

Well... the council has been in the hot seat since they were elected, and if you are part of the team that brought that on...

...and so it looks like a by-election, and while we are getting together for that event, let's have a referendum to get the bridge refurbished.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)