Councillor Chandler stepping down in September 2010

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

I don't agree with this in municipal politics with multiple candidates. If everyone is fed up with someone, they will vote them out when someone better comes along.

Its a trend in Municipal elections that people vote for the name they recognise as not very many candidates can afford to have a proper media campaign. Therefore you will usually see in local politics names like Nils Jensen and Madoff in a lot of the local rags as they are making sure people know their name. I gather Madoff got the most votes in the last election yet I cant seem to find anyone who actually agrees with her politics.

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

What are her politics?

#83 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

http://www.canada.co...f5-7593b4d2c376

Yeah, I found that one also but it is four years out of date.

Somebody is going to try to be elected to a full time position for 26k? That would be a pretty small line up I'm thinking.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#84 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

Yep, which is why I'm always disappointed when folks belly ache about what municipal electees are paid. It's a huge sacrifice for such a low pay, and you get what you pay for.

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

Yeah, I found that one also but it is four years out of date.

Somebody is going to try to be elected to a full time position for 26k? That would be a pretty small line up I'm thinking.

On CFAX the other day, Chandler said it was a 3/4 time position. So I guess if it's $30k now, that's about right.

^ Further to that, I have never said elected officials' salaries are the reason to amalgamate as many people say. It's all the other efficiencies it could create, both financially and just operationally and planning-wise.

#86 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

On CFAX the other day, Chandler said it was a 3/4 time position. So I guess if it's $30k now, that's about right.

^ Further to that, I have never said elected officials' salaries are the reason to amalgamate as many people say. It's all the other efficiencies it could create, both financially and just operationally and planning-wise.

You mean like the 8,345* senior managers the City has working for them at $100k+ per annum?

*give or take several thousand

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

You mean like the 8,345* senior managers the City has working for them at $100k+ per annum?

*give or take several thousand

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Willis!

#88 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Given her comments re: being frustrated with Councillor Young and of her ditching her job to (I liked this), "[P]ursue some airy-fairy education abroad," I don't think Councillor Chandler could be any less popular right now. Here are some other choice words about Madam Councillor:

• "Isn't Sonya Chandler quitting mid-term to pursue some airy-fairy education abroad? So much for representing the constituents who voted her in. She sounds like a completely selfish flake." - WestCoastGirl

• "I find chandler and fortin to be offensive. She has just tendered her resignation effective Sept 1, fortin's term expires a year from this November yet both are continuing to discuss issues involving millions of taxpayer dollars. Both are lame ducks, stop wasting our money." - SusanK18

• Geoff Young is an expeirenced counsellor who has sat on a number of councils. He knows what he is talking about. If he says there is a "closed meeting" problem, then there obviously is. Chandler is an hack or just up and quit for a better job. She does not care about the people she works for. - James F

• Chandler is quitting already? Aha! Another dilettante. Why bother dealing with the issue if you're not staying around to enjoy the fireworks? - Stinky-Kitty
http://www.timescolo...8990/story.html

Ouch!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users