2010 Victoria Municipal By-election

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

Please discuss the 2010 Victoria municipal by-election in this thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

I personally will be backing Rob Randell once he declares he is running. He strikes me as the right sort of fit for the current council to shift the balance and move things forward.

#3 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

I personally will be backing Rob Randell once he declares he is running. He strikes me as the right sort of fit for the current council to shift the balance and move things forward.

I understand what you're getting at, but if he could "shift the balance and move things forward," you must be thinking of some other council where he would be a good fit. This one is regressive, secretive and dishonest.

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I think Rob Reid would be a good fit.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

Victora council byelection candidates face stricter standards

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist, with a file from Carla Wilson June 5, 2010

The bar is being raised for those hoping to run for Victoria council this fall to replace Coun. Sonya Chandler. Victoria councillors are expected to update a bylaw next week raising the nomination requirements for council candidates.

Under the amended bylaw, candidates will need signatures of 25 qualified electors, an increase from the current two, and a $100 refundable deposit, up from the current requirement of $25 for council and $50 for mayor -- the maximum allowed under provincial legislation.

The change will also allow the use of mail-in ballots for residents unable to vote in person.

Read more:
http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0pzZTjrxm

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

I understand what you're getting at, but if he could "shift the balance and move things forward," you must be thinking of some other council where he would be a good fit. This one is regressive, secretive and dishonest.

Right now the split is 5-3 among the councilors. Adding a person that works well with others while sounding and acting in the interest of community engagement, the whole dynamic of this council changes. You would have a 4 - 4 council. Unless the mayor and all of his 'allies' always work in lockstep, the sort of decisions council makes will change.

The right person to be elected at this time is some well informed, calm, collected, and genuinely interested in community engagement.

If the council was 6-2 and the by-election would make it 5-3, I would going for someone that really wants to stir things up and make noise. But when you have the 4-4 you need a smart and diplomatic person for effectiveness.

Of all the potential candidates out there, I can not think of anyone better than Rob Randall to be that person. He also has the advantage that he did the best of all the candidate in the last election, though still far out of the money. Both he and Wayne Hallohan did 20-30% better than the next five candidates

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

First candidate to declare - Barry Hobbis

City of Victoria By-Election - November 2010

I am announcing my intention to seek the upcoming vacant seat for the City of Victoria Council. This will be a vote for a new voice on council, and for the community to be heard on a borrowing by-law for the Johnson Street Bridge.

The future of our City’s financial stability is potentially at risk as we take on debt for the Johnson Street Bridge and sewage projects, when there may be viable alternatives that cost less, and meet the needs of all. Our downtown core, and village centres, are not attracting new, vibrant businesses to increase employment; that must change. Many of our neighbourhoods, and residents, feel cut off from City Hall and need to be consulted on affordable housing, and economic sustainability, along with many other issues of concern, to ensure our local government is moving in a positive, forward thinking, direction.

To many, and to me, our council is fractured. City Hall is in a state of internal strife and media spin that is eroding the very core of serving the community, and not meeting our needs and priorities. It seems that the tougher things get the more our local government feels it has to operate behind closed doors without the opportunity for public engagement. The harsh reality is a lack of open and transparent government at the municipal level, which disengages residents and business; something that can, and must, be changed.

Barry Hobbis
www.electbarryhobbis.org

Email - campaign@electbarryhobbis.org
Phone - 250 216 3232

Campaign Manager, Mat Wright - Phone 250 686 5945

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

Interesting... although not surprising of course.

I think the timing here means that some potential candidates will have less to think about this summer, some will drop out. Some others will plug ahead, this won't make a difference.

Rob Reid was on CFAX this morning, looks like he is not going to run in 2010.

I note that Hobbis' campaign manager is a director of jsb.org. I suppose he need not take a position on the bridge until we all see what the City comes up with. But on the eve of the referendum, will he "declare" a Y or N for the option offered?

I know where Hobbis stands on the marina, in my mind his business creates more possibility for danger than the new marina, but I firmly believe, as does Trasnsport Canada, that there is room for all the current users and the new marina. I can't see how his business can not be helped by the marina. I suppose the marina issue may well be over by election time.

Anybody know if Hobbis lives in Victoria? Do any of the other councilors live outside of Victoria?

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Audrey Whittall, is one of the campaign managers. Whittall is a member of Save Victoria Harbour (Save it from what? Being a harbour?), the group trying to block the marina from being developed.

Hobbis himself has spoken publicly against the mega-yacht project. (Does anybody see the hypocrisy in this?)

It should be noted that there is nothing on his website about this being part of his platform. Therefore I hope if he gets elected, he doesn't abuse this new found power to aid in the blocking of the project. After all, it wouldn't be the reason voters would have voted for him. Kinda like replacing the Johnson Street Bridge isn't the reason we voted for Fortin.

#10 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

In my opinion, from a pure public relations standpoint, Barry should head off Marina issues by addressing them up front and centre and before the end of the week.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

In my opinion, from a pure public relations standpoint, Barry should head off Marina issues by addressing them up front and centre and before the end of the week.

As I say, I don't think his position has ever been unclear, I am sure that does not change with this announcement. I suppose he could say something like "the city should sue if the marina gets the go-ahead". I do think that once/if he is in a council seat, he ought to excuse himself from discussions and votes about other specific business proposals for the harbour.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

I don't think his position has ever been unclear

Sure, as an informed citizen, you remember his quotes to the press about this. But it should be reiterated as part of his platform. If it's one the reasons he's running, it should be glaringly apparent, up front and center as part of his campaign.

he ought to excuse himself from discussions and votes about other specific business proposals for the harbour

He wouldn't be legally obligated to do so. He has no direct involvement with the project. He only shares the same waters.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

From his website:

Barry Hobbis – Why I am Running for City Council

Councillor Sonya Chandler is resigning from her seat on Victoria City Council on September 1st, which means there will be a by-election in November, likely tied with a referendum on a borrowing bylaw approval for the Johnson Street Bridge. I have decided to run as a candidate for City Council.

Every city, every taxpayer, is facing the reality of tough and uncertain economic times. For the City of Victoria a shrinking tax base, while our municipal government shoulders more responsibility, means we need to concentrate on the issues that matter. The concerns of Victoria voters and taxpayers – homelessness, social issues on our streets, sewage, affordable housing, infrastructure – must be addressed, and acted upon within sustainable fiscal management. Our legacy should be a vibrant, engaged society, a downtown core that attracts business, residents and visitors; and municipal services that exceed the expectations of neighbourhoods and users.

The future of our City’s financial stability is potentially at risk as we take on debt for for the Johnson Street Bridge and sewage projects, when there may be viable alternatives that cost less, and meet the needs of all. Our downtown core, and village centres, are not attracting new, vibrant businesses to increase employment; that must change. Many of our neighbourhoods, and residents, feel cut off from City Hall and need to be consulted on affordable housing, and economic sustainability, along with many other issues of concern, to ensure our local government is moving in a positive, forward thinking, direction.

To many, and to me, our council is fractured. City Hall is in a state of internal strife and media spin that is eroding the very core of serving the community, and not meeting our needs and priorities. It seems that the tougher things get the more our local government feels it has to operate behind closed doors without the opportunity for public engagement. The harsh reality is a lack of open and transparent government at the municipal level, which disengages residents and business; something that can, and must, be changed.

I will work with the current Mayor and Council. More importantly, I will seek advice, questions and concerns from all stakeholders. I am announcing now my intention to run in the November by-election to start that conversation. Myself, and the campaign team, will listen to the concerns of the community. Our local government should have community involvement as its highest goal – open, accountable and transparent. A fiscally responsible, forward looking government.

There are a lot of really compelling reasons why I should consider voting for Hobbis, based on the reasons written above. As a taxpayer, I sure would feel betrayed if he used his seat on council to help squash the Mega-Marina project - seeing as it wasn't one of his published reasons for running.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

From his website:

There are a lot of really compelling reasons why I should consider voting for Hobbis, based on the reasons written above. As a taxpayer, I sure would feel betrayed if he used his seat on council to help squash the Mega-Marina project - seeing as it wasn't one of his published reasons for running.

It isn't yet. I'm sure his platform will become more clear as the election approaches. It's over five months away. He's asking for some dialogue and input now, to help him form his platform, at least that's what that last paragraph tells me.

I think that sums up the fact that he is not running as part of the "Dean and friends" team. :D

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

First candidate enters Victoria by-election race
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2862
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca

The first candidate of Victoria’s upcoming municipal by-election has publicly announced his candidacy today.

Local businessman Barry Hobbis, who secured 13th place in the 2008 Victoria municipal elections, is officially in the running for Councillor Chandler’s position.

[...]

Hobbis’ company, Victoria Harbour Ferry, is one of the major operators on the Inner Harbour with some 90,000 movements per year, and that has raised questions about the possibility of a conflict of interest with respect to the Victoria International Marina proposal in Vic West.

“There is no legal conflict of interest, but there is the potential for a view of a conflict. On the other hand, the situation is the same as other councillors being involved with special interest groups, such as John Luton being involved with cycling advocacy while acting in full capacity on the Johnson Street Bridge project,” said Mat Wright, Hobbis’ campaign manager.

[...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Anybody know if Hobbis lives in Victoria? Do any of the other councilors live outside of Victoria?

I will not be voting for any candidate that does not live in Victoria proper.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

Do any of the other councilors live outside of Victoria?

Councillor Thornton-Joe lives in Saanich.

Know it all.

#18 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

What if they work in Victoria or run a business in the City? What if the arbitrary municipal boundaries split their neighbourhood?

#19 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

What difference will that make?

#20 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

Barry lives in Saanich, and is the managing director of Victoria Harbour Ferries which has its office on the inner harbour. There are plenty of examples of local Councillors, even Mayors (I believe?), living in one municipality and serving in another. Same is true of city staff.

One of the issues he would like to open up for greater discussion is greater regional cooperation and integration of municipal services and planning, maybe leading to core amalgamation. Currently there is little accountability and community engagement from the CRD - yet the regional body decides on so many important issues.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users