The demise of the phone book

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have heard that you can find menus online and even if the place you are ordering from doesn't have it just a different menu and ask them if they have what you want. Or get them to read the menu to you.

As for trying to remember a name.

Step 1 - Turn on Computer
Step 2 - Go to Google maps
Step 3 - Find the area of the map of the business you are looking up
Step 4 - Type in the service they provide (chinese food)
Step 5 - Choose result and call them

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

I had my phone book delivered last week. They just lobbed it at the end of my driveway, where it slipped out of its plastic bag and sat there all day soaking up the rain. I don't really care about the book now being useless (more useless?) but my recycling was sitting out there for pick up as well. You think they could have made the effort to throw it right in the bin for me.....

#43 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

A sad waste of resources!

#44 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

After a couple of weeks of them sitting in the lobby, only one person in our 30-unit building has taken a Telus phone book.

How is this not littering? It seems wrong that we should have to pay to have them recycled.

#45 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

We still like to have the phone book around the house. The Telus contractor that delivered it, used the exact same pathetic delivery method as Langford Rat experienced.

Mrs. Sparky however, called them up and tore them a new one. She also wanted more than one as we have three lines. I suggested that she was being a little harsh.

Still in the combative mode, she explained to me about the waste, and the fact that we pay good money, along with a few choice words about having to push all those buttons to get to talk to someone and having to hold for service.

Then I reminded her that she was correct.......we did pay good money.......but we pay it to Shaw.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

After a couple of weeks of them sitting in the lobby, only one person in our 30-unit building has taken a Telus phone book.

How is this not littering? It seems wrong that we should have to pay to have them recycled.

I think you could call them and tell them to pick up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Time for it to go. Who doesn't automatically go to the computer/phone/tablet for a number these days.

It has a whole new look!

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

The other day I had some kid wander into my backyard to deliver a phonebook. I was under the hood of my truck doing some work and all of a sudden this kid appears. I asked him if he was lost, he said no, handed me the phone book, then walked away.

Now that's dedication to your job.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I went to the lobby and picked up 4 brand new books, carefully unwrapped them and put one under each leg of my coffee table, then I carefully slipped the old books into the plastic wrapping and returned them to the pile in the lobby.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Is there any endeavor or business that fell so quickly from eagerly anticipated neccessity to unwanted, unloved burden? Remember when you got to see for the first time what scenic BC area won the privilege of being on the cover?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Or you could construct a building out of them.

http://inhabitat.com...ed-phone-books/

#52 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Time for it to go. Who doesn't automatically go to the computer/phone/tablet for a number these days.

Try the 20% of the population that DOES NOT have regular internet access. Take a moment to look up recent ITU stats if you don't believe me. It's easy to lose perspective of what it means to not be affluent.

Or me, even, when I don't feel like messing around for ten minutes filtering out all the crap that floats to the top because of the dedicated work of SEO experts in Texas and Australia and I want to actually find something near me.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

The classic 80/20 split.

If there are 20% of people without Internet then why not make delivery of the books by request? There's no need to litter the city every year with something few residents actually utilize, and what's worse is there have been competing phone books delivered over the years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

^ Great idea Mike. Currently the only time I look at my phone book is when I take it out to replace it with the new one. Also if those 20% get a phone book then they are likely getting phone service. I think you have to have a phone to get it but I could be wrong. They could easily drop their phone service and just have internet service. With Google calls through GMail and skype service this is not expensive anymore. Forget the phone book, the phone itself is a dinosaur.

It has a whole new look!

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

The classic 80/20 split.

If there are 20% of people without Internet then why not make delivery of the books by request? There's no need to litter the city every year with something few residents actually utilize, and what's worse is there have been competing phone books delivered over the years.

It's a private company, who cares what they do. Black Press drops much more paper on doorsteps in a month than YP does once a year, and I'm sure the straight-to-recycling level for Black Press is similar to phone books. You could say Black Press could go to "request-only" but instead they do a form of negative-option, it comes unless you go out of your way to tell them otherwise. It's a business model that works.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I grabbed a whole stack of 10 books from out condo lobby and used them to raise my monitor. I didnt feel bad about it since there is still last years phone book stuck in the cubbys under the mail boxes.

#57 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

The phone book recently delivered to my place went straight into the paper bin used for starting fires in our fireplace :)

#58 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I can't even get my kids to use a paper cookbook. "Why fart around on Allrecipes and the printer when you can open a curated volume of proven recipes with all kinds of great instruction and references that is an arm's reach away," I say.

I doubt they would ever turn to a phone book.

I like the "by-request" idea. They could even give me a button to press on my January e-statement from TELUS.

Oh, wait. I dropped my land-line and don't get an e-statement from TELUS. :)

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

The phone book recently delivered to my place went straight into the paper bin used for starting fires in our fireplace :)

Aha! Last year when I discarded the phone books dropped off at our office somebody demanded I bring one of them back, because somebody said "I still like to use the phonebook." :wave:

Know it all.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Aha! Last year when I discarded the phone books dropped off at our office somebody demanded I bring one of them back, because somebody said "I still like to use the phonebook." :wave:

Bah, that was 2012, things change lightning-fast Mike.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users