APPROVED
Gateway Green
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1620 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Gateway Green is a proposal for a 15-storey, 145,000 square foot office complex on Blanshard Street at Fisgard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Gateway Green on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Gateway Green | Office | 58m | 15-storeys | Approved

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#461 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

:)

I was not expecting Tri-Eagle to say they were in negotiations, but I wanted to make sure I had the right info if asked on the project. Interesting revelation and certainly a good thing for downtown!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#462 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

Dancing banana and all that.

#463 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Tri-Eagle confirms that they are in discussions with an anchor tenant and construction could be several months away if all goes well.

Great news. Not going to hold my breath for this project though.

#464 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

This is great news. I am cautiously optimistic.:redface: (best emoticon I could find)

#465 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

This was supposed to be going ahead any day now back in 2008 or was it 2009...anyway, cautious optimism is the only way to describe my feelings. I'll only be excited when the figurative shovels hit the ground.

#466 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

The tower was approved in December of 2007. Tri-Eagle was banking on BC Ferries becoming the anchor tenant but when Jawl Properties swooped in with Atrium they usurped BC Ferries, as far as I understand, and Gateway Green was put on the back burner until another anchor tenant came along. Unfortunately right around the time this happened the market crashed and pent up demand for downtown office space evaporated almost over night.

Ever since then Tri-Eagle has maintained that the project is shovel-ready and awaiting an anchor tenant.

Realistically speaking if they get the deal the site will be under construction by late winter/early spring 2014 with completion by late 2015/early 2016. It's also a steel building so it should rise relatively quickly.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#467 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

I have a feeling that rotherham building will stick out like a sore thumb in the near future

#468 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Or fall into the background lost from sight.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#469 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Anyone recall when the Rotherham building was built? What was the perception of it at the time? 3 floors in such a prime spot seems a little light on the density.

#470 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

3 floors was too much density at the time so they had to add that well loved plaza out back. A fantastic building! Brick? Check! Low Density? Check! 3 stories? Check! Huge useless open space? Check. It's a Victoria dream project.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#471 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Tri-Eagle confirms that they are in discussions with an anchor tenant and construction could be several months away if all goes well.

Any further developments on this?

#472 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Mike K has it spot on in his post of Nov 7.  Nothing has changed

#473 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

What I was wondering was if anything had changed since then.

Thanks.

#474 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Anything changed since then? Seems like itd be one of the tallest if it ever gets built. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#475 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

Nope no news.

Know it all.

#476 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

About ready to give up on this one.

#477 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

Word on the street is the proponents are exploring the possibility of alternative uses on this site. As such the office tower concept might be kaput, especially with 1515 usurping any demand for downtown office space that there may have been.

Know it all.

#478 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

Word on the street is the proponents are exploring the possibility of alternative uses on this site.

I wonder what alternative uses they are exploring. On this note, can you think of any mixed use towers (not the best term for this city I know) in Victoria, with commercial taking a group of the bottom floors, with residential up top? Thinking along the lines of Vancouver examples like the Shaw tower or even the Shangri-La in Coal Harbour. Obviously it would be a smaller scale here, but something like this (e.g. more than ground floor commercial) could work both here and maybe at the proposed Harbour Landing location as well.

#479 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

I wonder what alternative uses they are exploring. On this note, can you think of any mixed use towers (not the best term for this city I know) in Victoria, with commercial taking a group of the bottom floors, with residential up top? Thinking along the lines of Vancouver examples like the Shaw tower or even the Shangri-La in Coal Harbour. Obviously it would be a smaller scale here, but something like this (e.g. more than ground floor commercial) could work both here and maybe at the proposed Harbour Landing location as well.

The newest building at the Selkirk development is mixed use isn't it? Granted, on a very small scale. Top floor is residential if I remember correctly with commercial below.

Switching to residential makes sense to me for Gateway Green.

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 02 December 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

SoMa on Broughton across from the library is mixed-use commercial, office and residential. Boardwalk in Selkirk has eight rental units on two floors facing the Gorge, a commercial ground floor (half shared with residential, I think?) and four floors of office space (plus a half floor, I think?).

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users