• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#401 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

^These are legal docks.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#402 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

What about all the houses with boats and wharves in the gorge? Are they having to remove there stuff too?

No. The City did not arrange a lease of that water area.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#403 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

So the bylaw only applies to that specific part of the Gorge?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

So the bylaw only applies to that specific part of the Gorge?

Yes, the City took out a water lease from the province.

The city received a License of Occupation in October from the province granting it legal authority over the water. Now it plans to rezone the area and limit anchoring to a period up to 48 consecutive hours, and not more than 72 hours in a month.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 August 2017 - 04:36 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#405 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

I looked on line and I can't find a map of where it applies. Anyone know where exactly?

It has a whole new look!

#406 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Nm found it. So the southern border is the trestle why wouldn't they just move to a spot next to Selkirk or Railyards?

It has a whole new look!

#407 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

Nm found it. So the southern border is the trestle why wouldn't they just move to a spot next to Selkirk or Railyards?

It has a whole new look!

#408 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

Probably they can, as long as it's not a navigation hazard.  Not sure who decides that.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 August 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#409 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

The province is making an exception for Oak Bay and preparing to give the district $12,000 to remove derelict boats from Cadboro Bay.

Derelict boats typically fall under federal jurisdiction; however, the province on occasion collaborates with other agencies.

The province previously struck a cost-sharing agreement with the District of Saanich to remove derelict boats on that side of the bay.

B.C. Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver, who represents Oak Bay-Gordon Head, has advocated for the province to support the removal of the boats.

#410 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

City Takes Legal Action to Protect Gorge Waterway

September 8, 2017

Late this afternoon, the BC Supreme Court set September 11 as the hearing date for the City of Victoria’s injunction application to remove vessels that are illegally moored on the Gorge Waterway. Currently there are 16 boats and four docks moored in contravention of the City’s Zoning Regulation Bylaw.

The City is seeking one injunction – one single court order – that will require owners to remove their boat or dock from the Gorge Waterway.

In May 2016 changes were made to the City’s Zoning Regulation Bylaw to improve the management of the Gorge Waterway by limiting long-term mooring to a maximum of 48 hours and not more than 72 hours in a 30-day period.

These changes regulate the use of the waterway for recreation, prohibit live-aboard use and the storage of vessels, and also address the negative impacts that unregulated marine activities are having on the marine environment and Victoria residents, without restricting navigation.

The City has worked with Pacifica Housing to offer outreach services to those living aboard vessels that cannot be safely moved, to assist them in finding alternate housing.

http://www.victoria....e-waterway.html

#411 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:29 AM

To assist them in finding alternate housing. From zero dollars per month to several hundred.

#412 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

I can tell you they are already costing hundreds of dollars a month by the calls to the police.
  • VicHockeyFan and Daveyboy like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#413 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

$5.6 million?! Come on, I'll go down there with my boat, cut their anchor lines and tow them away to a salvage yard for a lot less than that.

haha, who said government was efficient.  First they need to start out with a meeting to discuss who should be on the committee.  Then another series of meetings to decide what kinds of muffins and coffee to have.  Then another meeting to decide when to have the meeting.  Probably need some community involvement so better have some regional neighbourhood meetings.  Several weeks on 1000s of pages of report preparation and review.  Probably stop for a few hours to look at their other city workers being propped up by their shovels.  Then its finally decided on blueberry muffins and 100 people on the committee (98 who just sit there and do nothing

$5.55 million to meetings and $50k to deal with the boats.  Government workers in action!!!

• Mattjvd likes this

#414 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

Might be a 45-delay now, the boaters have a lawyer.  I can only bet it's TAPS.

#415 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

then the city should file a security for costs motion and if the boaters survive that then a quick summary trial

#416 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

There will be no more free passes for boat owners who dump dirty, old hulks in Canadian harbours and waterways.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau's new Wrecked, Abandoned or Hazardous Vessels Act, introduced Monday in the House of Commons, would make it illegal to abandon boats, while empowering the government to go after the owners of the 600 derelict vessels already polluting the country's waterways.

Garneau acknowledged that while the bill gives the government new powers to try and force owners of existing derelicts to remove them safely, it packs a less powerful punch for those boats.

There will be no fines or penalties imposed on the owner of a boat which has already been abandoned, said Garneau.

The ownership of some of them can't even be determined, he noted, which is why Canada is also working with the provinces and territories to establish better rules for identifying boats.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ssels-1.4379366

#417 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

There just needs to be a legal salvage rule, even within local waters. Post sufficient notice, then the boat is fair game for anyone, including government, to take.

#418 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

The BC Supreme Court hearing on the City of Victoria’s injunction application to remove vessels that are illegally moored on the Gorge Waterway will take place today at 10AM.

There are currently 17 vessels and four docks in contravention of the City of Victoria's bylaws.

The City is seeking one injunction – one single court order – that will require owners to remove their boat or dock from the Gorge Waterway.

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#419 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Years in the making. I sure hope this goes ahead. If not, I could see additional boats moving to the Gorge.

#420 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

I must have missed the judge's ruling on this.... Is anyone aware of the court's decision?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users