• 3,471 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

Substation fault

#422 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,602 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

Ongoing; cruised through there dropping the teen kidlin off at Mayfair for a graveyard shift not long ago. Light at Gorge and Tillicum is out although the next one along Tillicum closer to the mall is fine. Tillicum Mall itself was ok but Pearkes Arena and that surrounding neighborhood appears to be out. Always good entertainment watching Victoria drivers attempt to figure out the 4 way 'stop & go in turn' rule when the traffic lights are down....

#423 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,602 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

Whoops - streetlight across from us just blew out and I see now the outage has spread to include our area on this side of the Gorge although as yet our house is unaffected. Can literally hear the electricity surging and humming through the wires - that can't be good -

https://www.bchydro....#outage=1051083

#424 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Power was out for almost 12 hours, only coming on around 6:30 am. Some very cold folks will likely be late for work this morning.

#425 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

Friend said she heard an explosion then smoke filled her home. She lives in the Gorge and Harriett area.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#426 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Power outage in the 700 block Yates affecting some businesses. Bulk Barn and the entire St. Andrews building have no electricity. BC Hydro is tight-lipped about the cause but evidence suggests underground construction work on the street outside is the culprit.

#427 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

Another sign up today on 700 block Yates buildings: be prepared for a power outage today at any time. I hope anyone putting the finishing touches on that big Excel document has saved their work.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Bingo like this

#428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

Over 30,000 customers without power across Vancouver Island.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

The NDP have reneged on their election promise to freeze BC Hydro rates.

An increase of 3% is coming this spring.

Know it all.

#430 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

Well, to be fair, its the quasi-judicial Utilities Commission that's saying "No, you can't freeze the rates."  It's not like the NDP didn't try, sometimes Mom & Dad just aren't going to let you go to the movie no matter what you told your friends, y'know?

#431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

The government said it chose not to force the rate freeze, which it could have had it wanted to.

I suspect the BCUC schooled the government and explained why their dismissal of BC Hydro's 3% rate increase request and subsequent proposal to keep rates frozen was bad business.

Know it all.

#432 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Minor clarification ... the B.C. Government was unsuccessful in their election promise to approach the B.C.U.C. and plead a case that would see utility rates frozen.

They didn't promise pre-election that whatever decision the B.C.U.C. made would be overridden by the NDP if they formed the governement.

So in effect, the N.D.P. most definitely kept the promise they made to the voters in B.C.

Edited by Cassidy, 02 March 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

Nothing to stop the BC government from directly paying 3% of everyone's bill.

• Matt R. and tjv like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Nothing to stop the province from taking it a step further and forcing the freeze.

• tjv likes this

Know it all.

#435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Minor clarification ... the B.C. Government was unsuccessful in their election promise to approach the B.C.U.C. and plead a case that would see utility rates frozen.

They didn't promise pre-election that whatever decision the B.C.U.C. made would be overridden by the NDP if they formed the governement.

So in effect, the N.D.P. most definitely kept the promise they made to the voters in B.C.

Thanks for the spin, doctor.

Care to take a crack at this one, embarrassingly dated November 7 of last year?

Province delivers on commitment to freeze BC Hydro rates

The British Columbia government is delivering on its promise to freeze BC Hydro rates, putting an end to the years of spiralling electricity costs that have made life less affordable for B.C. homeowners and renters, Minister of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources Michelle Mungall announced today.

“After years of escalating electricity costs, British Columbians deserve a break on their bills,” said Mungall. “From the moment we took office, we’ve taken action to make life more affordable. As part of that, we’re going to make sure that BC Hydro is working for the benefit of all British Columbians and that its rates reflect that commitment.” - https://news.gov.bc....EMPR0021-001875

Know it all.

#436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

Nothing to stop the province from taking it a step further and forcing the freeze.

This is true, they can just rewrite the law wrt BCUC law:

When a sitting government by majority vote signals a BC Hydro rate freeze or decrease, that shall be granted, notwithstanding any other BCUC decisions.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 March 2018 - 04:17 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#437 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

It's more complicated than that.

Of course the sitting government can overturn a BCUC decision ... BUT:

Weaver won't support the government overturning the BCUC decision, as he feels if the Liberals had listened to the BCUC rather than venturing out on their own we wouldn't have Site C on our hands.

So BCUC makes their decision, and the NDP accepts it rather than overturns it ... as to overturn it could (likely would) inspire Green rage and potentially unseat the sitting government.

Focusing on the NDP and spinning some sort of failure to fulfil an election promise overlooks the complexity of running a coalition government.

My post above is accurate.

The NDP tried to freeze Hydro rates as they indicated they would, but despite their efforts, they failed.

• Lorenzo likes this

#438 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:30 AM

Of course they tried, but they failed even after saying it was a done deal.

You don’t make promises you can’t keep. But making promises wins elections.

Know it all.

#439 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

Frankly I am less concerned about the freeze and more concerned about the tier 2 pricing.  I don't have access to gas so my options are oil or electric heat and chose the later for many reasons including that electricity is very environmentally friendly in BC.  My latest hydro bill is $1000 with my electric heat pumps

Anyway, when is the next election again?  Can't wait to boot the NDP from power!

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#440 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

Nothing to stop the BC government from directly paying 3% of everyone's bill.

https://thetyee.ca/N...reeze-rejected/

Sounds like they already have a plan B

Also interesting that BC Hydro will transfer $712 Million to the province this coming year from profits

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users