Photo

BC Hydro - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
701 replies to this topic

#541 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

If you had no gas, what do you estimate your monthly heating bill would be in addition to the $125?

I'd say 95% of the heat comes from the heat pump and baseboards now so it wouldn't make much difference to winter time bills.   Maybe another $10?  

If I got rid of the gas entirely I estimate the $500 I'm currently spending on it would more or less migrate across to the hydro bills to make the total bills about the same.       Would just simplify my life without having to fiddle with gas appliances and having my house not explode when the big earthquake hits.

• Mike K. likes this

#542 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:39 AM

I'm at about $2600 for 2800 sq ft. Only gas in use is one fireplace.

#543 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

$2,600 for the year, lanforod?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#544 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:49 AM

well yeah...  :1954_dancing:  :squint:

#545 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

Our place is 1200 sq feet, 2 level house. 

Downstairs bedroom level is all electric baseboard heat, upstairs we have a propane fireplace, propane stove and mini split heat pump.  

The propane includes our patio fireplace which we use all year round.  And the electric bill included the husbands woodworking shop, well pump and septic pump & hot water heater.  

Propane: $664.

Hydro: $1068.

About $145 per month for both.

• Mike K. likes this

#546 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

Ah, very good, and sounds like you've got the whole thing nailed down.

Without gas I can't imagine what your monthly bill would be. It's bloody near impossible to come in at under $200/month with even a small, single-level home if you're 100% hydro reliant (water tank; cooking; heating; washer; dryer).

Out in the boonies where I live we all have wood stoves otherwise the electrical bill would be through the roof. Gas is a foreign word out this way.

My electricity bill last year was around $2800 or $233/month and I have 3 level nearly 7,000 sf house with electric heat pumps, electric back up furnace, electric hot water tank, electric fireplaces, and electric hot tub.  No wood stoves, etc as back up although my stove is gas.  I think its very possible to do it for under $200 a month for a small all electric house

Edited by tjv, 26 February 2019 - 07:45 PM.

#547 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

For sure, but that’s the average for the entire year. In the winter months you’ll use far more than $233.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#548 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

^No kidding, mine was approx $385 per month for Dec/Jan, and that was all heating.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#549 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:37 AM

Of course, its impossible to heat a house for under $200 a month unless you have an huge forest to feed your wood stove

#550 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:40 AM

Of course, its impossible to heat a house for under $200 a month unless you have an huge forest to feed your wood stove

so in the highlands you can then.
  • Matt R. likes this

#551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:15 AM

I don’t have a huge forest and use wood. It all depends on the wood, how dry it is and the efficiency of the stove (when being cost-conscious).

Monthly hydro bill is between $60-$70 a month this winter, no gas or oil.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#552 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:24 AM

Baby boomers use twice as much electricity as millennials, BC Hydro says

The reasons millennials pull ahead on energy conservation may surprise you. Then again, they may not

based on the photo with the article millennials also use half the chairs/dedicated seating too.

https://www.nanaimob..._medium=twitter

Boomers are also twice as likely to have a swimming pool, and three times more likely to have a hot tub, while being 53 per cent more likely to have a wine or beer fridge, and 60 per cent more likely to have heated floors.

Aside from that, they also have more energy-consuming habits, BC Hydro said, including cooking dinner seven nights a week and still subscribing to cable TV.

bch must have a new woke communication team.  this is the second silly "news item" recently.

bch:  save the planet by going out for dinner more often or ordering in or just eat cold salad.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2019 - 05:28 AM.

#553 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:43 AM

My Hydro bill every couple of months is around $100 which is plenty for me. I hear of people getting bills well over $1,000. I don't know how they do it.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#554 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:46 AM

if you eat all meals out or have them delivered you can save lots of money.

#555 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

Baby boomers use twice as much electricity as millennials, BC Hydro says

The reasons millennials pull ahead on energy conservation may surprise you. Then again, they may not

based on the photo with the article millennials also use half the chairs/dedicated seating too.

https://www.nanaimob..._medium=twitter

bch must have a new woke communication team.  this is the second silly "news item" recently.

bch:  save the planet by going out for dinner more often or ordering in or just eat cold salad.

Breaking News: The older you are, the bigger your house is (typically). 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#556 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

Breaking News: The older you are, the bigger your house is (typically).

No sh*t, hey?

If there was ever a way to make fun of Millennials, this was it.

As a millennial, you’re not likely to have the means to afford:
- lots of wine
- a fridge for lots of wine
- a hot tub
- a pool
- a warm home
- a larger home
- a “house” for a home
- high-end finishings like heated floors
- or the time to cook meals
- or the time to cook more complicated and involved meals
- the money to buy ingredients for more complicated and involved meals

But hey! At least you’re saving on hydro! Keep it up!
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#557 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:04 PM

It seems mostly fixed now but a lot of Downtown had no power during rush hour this evening 

#558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

Yup. Looks like about 3,000 customers went dark.

Know it all.

#559 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

We average monthly $100 on hydro and $60 on natural gas for a 3 level home.  I did stop using the baseboards and have the natural gas fireplace on a thermostat as it was cheaper.  If it gets really cold, I will turn on the fireplace's fan but not usually.  Our stove is gas for the range and electric for the oven.  Our hot water is gas.

We do have some solar but it's for supplemental items like outside lighting.  I so use it during a power outage to run the freezer if it starts to creep up in temp. 

When we were looking at solar, I purchased a wattmeter device to see what we were using.   I was surprised what costs $$ and what doesn't.  Our coffee maker when left on to keep the coffee warm was a killer!  Might as well go out and buy multiple coffees everyday. 

#560 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:08 AM

except your coffee maker is nearly 100% efficient at space heating. so if it is on any time that you might also use heating in a 24 hour period of its use you are not “losing” that electricity.

just like incandescent lights.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2019 - 04:08 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users