Photo

BC Hydro - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
695 replies to this topic

#61 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Right... if you think the 2.8 GHz signal once an hour is hurting you, you should probably also be worried about the 60 Hz coursing through your body every second. Much safer to not have any power at all.

And stop using that cell phone or wireless land line phone, and whatever you do don't sit in front of a computer screen.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#62 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

And stop using that cell phone or wireless land line phone, and whatever you do don't sit in front of a computer screen.

...or the electric toothbrush, if you still have mercury fillings.

#63 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

I am personally looking forward to my meter and hope that they do introduce TOU billing. I mean we need to make this move sooner rather than later. I wish there was word of a BC Hydro app that would allow me to see my usage on my phone. Oce it is installed you will have to log into a website to see your use. I think we should have something that displays use in our house too. Since it is sending a wireless signal it should be able to send to the house.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#64 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

I think we should have something that displays use in our house too. Since it is sending a wireless signal it should be able to send to the house.

If someone needs a thing on the wall to tell them how much power they're using, something is wrong. Not that hard to see what lights are on, no?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:38 AM

Mike I have no idea if this will work or not, but the friend that sent this to me is very well connected with the meter reading branch of hydro. The idea is to print and post the following notice, and follow the instructions below.

Thanks, Sparky!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

If someone needs a thing on the wall to tell them how much power they're using, something is wrong. Not that hard to see what lights are on, no?

I get where you're coming from, but you know... I seriously wonder if it would make a difference to my kids' slovenly attitude to leaving lights on everywhere, cranking thermostats, (etc.) if they could see - I mean, really *see* - the dollars going out the door.

Even taking them outside and showing them the current meter making like a circular saw doesn't quite connect to dollars.

From a strategic point of view... TOU billing doesn't make me that grumpy. I don't mind being incented to use existing generating capacity in off hours before we go and invest in new capacity. Now, at the moment, my thermostats allow the house to cool during the day and run when we're home. I wonder whether I will be nudged toward insulating well, heating in the afternoon, and coasting on that for a while during peak hours. Hmmm. Or just go back to gas/forced air.

#67 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

You also need to get TV and radio banned along with police and fire emergency radio networks.

#68 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

I'm not so worried about the wireless component of it, more the inevitable spying on real-time use, remote appliance control, etc... all in the name of "energy management".

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#69 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

That's a slippery cliff from "more accurately monitoring our usage" to "shutting off appliances when they want to save power"
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#70 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

^ OK, I'll bite. What do smart meters have to do with shutting off your appliances?

#71 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

^ OK, I'll bite. What do smart meters have to do with shutting off your appliances?

IIRC in Texas, there was a trial between the power company and appliance maker Whirlpool. Through the use of smart meters, the utility company could shut off the heater in your clothes dryer for example if load was too high.

#72 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

^ That is just not ever going to happen. Sebberry I am surprised you usually make a lot of sense ;)

It has a whole new look!

#73 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

^ That is just not ever going to happen. Sebberry I am surprised you usually make a lot of sense ;)

http://www.smartmete...appliances.html

General Electric and Whirlpool will soon debut smart appliances. GE says its line of smart water heaters will be available for purchase next month while Whirlpool is expected to announce on October 5 that it will have a million smart clothes dryers on the market in 2011.

Smart appliances can be programmed to accept signals from the utility that instruct it to go into an energy-saving mode, or turn off, during times when demand for electricity is critically high. Consumers will have the choice to override the programming, but will likely pay more for energy during these times.

[...]

#74 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

I apologize :( I would have thought that would be a scare tactic from the wifi is eating my brain crowd.

It has a whole new look!

#75 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

No apologies needed. :) It seems a little far fetched, but it just shows you what can be expected. :o

#76 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Sure, that makes sense. And it's a good thing, right?

#77 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

I am personally looking forward to my meter and hope that they do introduce TOU billing. I mean we need to make this move sooner rather than later. I wish there was word of a BC Hydro app that would allow me to see my usage on my phone. Oce it is installed you will have to log into a website to see your use. I think we should have something that displays use in our house too. Since it is sending a wireless signal it should be able to send to the house.

Some houses in other jurisdictions already have that.

It displays electricity being used and the cost. You can shut off an appliance and see the immediate benefit.

Or you can install your own, right now.

http://www.bluelinei...r/How-It-Works/

#78 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

IIRC in Texas, there was a trial between the power company and appliance maker Whirlpool. Through the use of smart meters, the utility company could shut off the heater in your clothes dryer for example if load was too high.

How about if they could turn it on for you when the power cost was the lowest, in order to save you money?

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

Through the use of smart meters, the utility company could shut off the heater in your clothes dryer for example if load was too high.

Or the heater in your grow-op, if it is on during peak periods.

#80 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

Or slow down the cpu in your computer. Not a huge savings, but the deployment costs would be negligible as the hardware is already in place. No smart meters required.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users