Photo

BC Hydro - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#81 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

I suppose the few hundred people that protested at the parliament buildings yesterday are the same people that have voted 51% against the smart meter for health concerns on a current CFAX poll.

Apparently the emmissions from the meter are one hundredth of what you get from a cellphone.

#82 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

Yeah, I was reading some anti-smart meter stuff and it's become a bit of a poisoned well for me. I'm embarassed to be anywhere on the same side as them.

"Just a money-grab by a for-proffit company that's being green-washed" ok yeah that's bad

"Loss of jobs" The extra efficiency the company will gain certainly won't be passed down to consumers, so also bad I guess...

"Potential invasion of privacy" I guess I could see that

"MAGICAL DEATH BEAMS THE ENTIRE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY OF THE WORLD IS DENYING IN A MASSIVE GLOBAL CONSPIRACY" uhgggggg I want to cover their bodies in smart meters.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#83 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

I oppose them for the privacy issues, but I do have one minor health concern:

You live in a condo and there are 30 of the meters transmitting right next to your living room or bedroom. Still 100% safe?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#84 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

How many cellphones are transmitting or receiving around you right now?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#85 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

How about living in the condos in the Blanshard/Johnson Street area next to the microwave tower on the Telus building?

#86 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

Distance from the source makes a big difference. If I'm 30 feet away from the meters there's little to worry about. If I'm sleeping in the room next to them the exposure to the RF is much higher.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Oh goodie.. looks like we're getting our stupid dumb meters today.

I think I'll pester BCHydro with phone calls asking "How much power am I using now? How 'bout now? And now? What about now?"

Or maybe I'll build a faraday cage in the meter room.

#88 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

^ Just build a Faraday cage around your head - tinfoil works well.

#89 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

http://www.bclocalne.../128323478.html

#90 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

How exactly does a smart meter prevent someone from stealing electricity for grow ops?

#91 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

While everyone's worried about RF, here's a bigger issue:

http://www.click2hou...1896/index.html

http://www.wfaa.com/...-101115429.html

http://www.kget.com/...kYg.cspx?rss=91

#92 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

I usually ignore matters I care nothing about, but these smart meter concerns are ridiculous. I actually burst out laughing when a co-worker told me about the "protest" on Sunday.

The bottom line is that smart meters will allow electricity producers to better match supply with demand. The health and privacy concerns are neurotic, plain and simple.

#93 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

The bottom line is that smart meters will allow electricity producers to better match supply with demand. The health and privacy concerns are neurotic, plain and simple.

Safety and privacy concerns are relevant.

As I asked before, why not have the "demand" metered by neighbourhood. I can't see why demand needs to be metered at each house in real-time.

#94 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

As I asked before, why not have the "demand" metered by neighbourhood. I can't see why demand needs to be metered at each house in real-time.

First, real-time is necessary because the power grid is real-time.

Second, as I said before, each house needs to be metered for billing purposes.

#95 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Second, as I said before, each house needs to be metered for billing purposes.

That's been such a challenge up until now :rolleyes: ;)

#96 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

How do smart meters create safety and privacy concerns?

Every house will need to be measured in real time because it's pretty obvious that most major electricity utilities will be moving over to TOU billing, which makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

#97 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

How do smart meters create safety and privacy concerns?

Every house will need to be measured in real time because it's pretty obvious that most major electricity utilities will be moving over to TOU billing, which makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

1) Look at the links I just posted

2) Knowing what people use and when they use it could be valuable information to marketers. But that's ok, because I trust the government. :rolleyes:

#98 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

1) Look at the links I just posted

2) Knowing what people use and when they use it could be valuable information to marketers. But that's ok, because I trust the government. :rolleyes:

Because some guy's old fridge is kaput smart meters aren't safe?

How could your electricity consumption profile be valuable information to marketers?

:rolleyes:

#99 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

That's been such a challenge up until now :rolleyes: ;)

A challenge? No. A challenge to do cheaply? Yes. Now there won't be a need for meter readers, which I expect is a huge savings.

If you are concerned about privacy, why are you OK with some stranger coming onto your property every few months, doing who knows what? Seems the larger privacy concern to me.

#100 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

Because some guy's old fridge is kaput smart meters aren't safe?

How could your electricity consumption profile be valuable information to marketers?

:rolleyes:

Look at the other links..

Energy consumption patterns are a pretty good reflection of one's activities at home. Knowing when people are home, away, what appliances they're using at the time is a goldmine of information for marketers to drool over, but they'll have to wait until people start using "Smart appliances'.

BC Hydro's privacy policy for Smart Meters appears to be fairly weak and even self contradictory.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users