Photo

Spinnakers | Victoria | 308 Catherine St.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

The picture in post #56 looks like more than a chimney fire.

Ya.. seems to be on the side of the kitchen ?

#62 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

Time to move to the Roundhouse?

• Nparker and Prom2 like this

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

It's looking like a stubborn roof fire, and it might have flamed up a bit more now.  They are on the roof pouring lots of water at it.  It's going to be a long recovery.  But I'd say most of the structure has been saved.

CHEK has live on-scene video.

https://www.facebook...=PAGES_TIMELINE

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

...It's going to be a long recovery...

There goes their Xmas season.  :o

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

There goes their Xmas season.  :o

Yes, but at least they will also be closed through the lean Jan/Feb season too.  Feeling for the staff at this time.

Credit to these firefighters up on the roof tackling this thing.  They are right in there.

screenshot-www.facebook.com 2016-11-23 14-33-20.png

• Prom2 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,456 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

CTV is calling Spinnakers a "historic brew pub." Is it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

The building is historic, the pub is younger than I am so no.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

CTV is calling Spinnakers a "historic brew pub." Is it?

It made history by becoming BC's first brew-pub.

• Nparker, Jill and tedward like this

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,456 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

Fire Chief says damage "extensive." Much of the roof may need to be removed in order to ensure the fire is fully extinguished. Firefighters had a heck of a time chasing the flames throughout the roof. The upper floor is heavily damaged, the ground floor not so much, but obviously lots of water damage.

Firefighters are still trying to determine why the fire moved as rapidly as it did and how it was able to spread so quick.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

Most craft beer books credit Spinnakers are the serious number 1 in the birth (or revival) of macro to medium size craft brewing in Canada. I've read four books with similar conclusions. Yes, too much time on my hands.

Glad everyone is okay. Looking forward to seeing them reopen!

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:27 PM

Do they brew and bottle/can 100% of their beer onsite, or do they have another facility?

#72 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

Do they brew and bottle/can 100% of their beer onsite, or do they have another facility?

I know the have some storage across the road (inside) lime bay district.  I would think the process happens onsite for them.  JMT

#73 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

It's the oldest operating brewpub in Canada, so yes I would say it's historic. To my knowledge brewing is all done on site with a canning line a little bit further away.

Hopefully they have good insurance that will cover at least their key staff.

Matt.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,456 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

Ok, I getcha. I wasn't sure what was meant by that but I've since learned that they were in fact trailblazers. I didn't know they actually fought to have the law changed to allow them to operate a brewpub. Prior to them that was illegal in Canada.

The owner is in Maui, or at least was, when the news broke. Imagine watching your pub burn while a world away and helpless.

Know it all.

#75 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:01 AM

They will rebuild, and it will be better.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:08 AM

Let's make Spinnakers great again!

• Prom2 likes this

#77 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

Spinnakers has been our go to Christmas treat for about 20 years now.  We come to Victoria for a bit of city shopping etc & stay in the Heritage House, have breakfast in the restaurant.  In years past they would bring coffee & fresh baking right to your room.  Will be sad not to have this ritual this year.  We hadn't made our res yet so we will see how they will manage the "stay" part of the business til the pub & restaurant are back up.

#78 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:40 PM

Glad to hear he is planning to continue paying his staff while they are closed. Paul is a good guy!

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

And there is even some optimism that the place might be ready before the end of December.  On this coming Monday night they will have their staff X-mas party at Canoe.

#80 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

Glad to hear he is planning to continue paying his staff while they are closed. Paul is a good guy!

Matt.

He is a good guy but presumably he also has business interruption insurance so he is getting paid to pay his staff while they are closed.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users