CIBC or Sussex?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:32 AM

Hey guys,

As you may or may not know, I am completely, 100 percent for high rises in Victoria. I particulary enjoy the CIBC building (View and Douglas) and the Sussex building (Broughton and Douglas).

I was just wondering if any of you have pictures of the construction of these buildings, or just good shots of the buildings themselves. CIBC is rather old, being finished in 1969, but Sussex was finished sometime in the 90s.

Tried and failed to find any good construction pics of these two buildings. Thanks for anything,

Ben

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

I was working across the street from the Sussex when they were building it. They did a lot of blasting. I remember some crazy guy came into our office and complained about the new construction, as if we somehow had something to do with it.

Anyway, I consider the Sussex to be almost the perfect Victorian office building. I wish it had been a bit taller and a bit slimmer, and I wish they hadn't bothered with that silly useless square behind the shops. But otherwise, I give it a 9 out of 10.

So here we are 12 years later and nobody has taken any inspiration from it? I'd love to see a more fanciful interpretation of the Sussex esthetic. Maybe even on the big Broughton Street parking lot, just a few doors up.

#3 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

Here are some of The Rohani Building, Sussex, The T.D. Building, & St. Andrew's Square.

#4 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

If the Sussex was a little taller, it would be Victoria's signature tower. Too bad it isn't.

#5 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:12 PM

One problem with the CIBC building is that the lower level retail is poorly designed. I'm not sure if it was ever fully leased and I believe it's totally empty now. My sister worked in one business located down there for over 15 years but they relied mostly on appointments rather than walk-in traffic. Had the retail been at street level it would have been a fantastic location.

Below ground retail might work if the corridor led somewhere, like it often does in Toronto with the T.T.C., but in this case it just loops around and ends up back on View St..

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

^Peacocks pool hall will be taking up most of that retail shortly.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

Hey, I like the idea of linking the Bay Centre with the CIBC building! It would make for a great metro stop too...

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

people keep stealing my idea!!! hahahaha.....

Holden that would be so cool.....how fun would that under walkway be.....

My thought was to have a mall straight under Douglas connecting the mall at CIBC to the lower level of Bay Center. I thought this when Eaton's Center was built.

#9 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

That station name is way too confusing and long, cant you pare it down to one word?

#10 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

That station name is way too confusing and long, cant you pare it down to one word?

Downtown?

#11 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

DouglasandFortCIBCTowerVict.BayCentre

I actually never thought of an underground connection.

Who would want to shop underground if you don't have to, plus the CIBC tower shopping area is small anyways. It would cost millions and the shops would end up empty like in the top level of the Bay Centre

In theory it is a cool idea though!

I have one good pic I took Ben of construction of the Sussex building, I'll scan it in one day.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

I'm pretty sure he meant to call the station "Douglas at Fort" with descriptors of major landmarks below the station name.

A quick font size rehash will clear that up :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

Pacific Center is partly underground and you never even know you're underground....but it would be cool to have exits coming from the mall onto different streets!!!

#14 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

Yah, I'm not a big fan of Pacific Centre, my favourite parts are the ground level entrances which get a the natural light. Although I suppose if a mall is going to be downtown it might as well be underground and use the land above for something else?

#15 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

Victoria's weather is nice enough that we don't need to have a mall underground like most of Canada.

It makes sense where it gets too cold outside like Edmonton or Montreal, or in Vancouver where the rain is enough to drive you to drink.

#16 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:50 PM

It would be fun, I'd just go shoping there because of the underground network!!! :)

Maybe they can use those old secret Chinese underground tunnels that everyone talks about, to start the underground mall. :)

#17 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

I'd love a subway in Victoria!

Stops at the Bay Center, UVIC or University heights, Hillside, Mayfair, possible ending off in the inner harbor, for tourtists to power-shop!
Think of it, why do the 40 minute-route-twenty-seven-bus-ride, when you can go from UVIC to downtown Victoria in ten minutes on the subway!!! :lol:

Ben

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

I have often thought when it comes time to put LRT along Douglas. Once it passes Humboldt it should stay level and go underground, have a station at Douglas and Fort Another by City Hall and then stay level and come out where Douglas goes back downhill by Chatham.

This way we would not have to have confusing street stations that would take up room on the streets. Traffic would stay its crazy but not too crazy self downtown. Also would cost a whole crapload of money.

Still it would be cool. Anyone have a spare 400 million.

We could throw the bus terminal down there too while we are at it. And it could all connect up with Scaper's mall.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

There was this crazy dude running for council last election and the only thing on his platform was to build a subway from the mayfair mall to downtown.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

I missed that. I would have voted for him just because of his craziness.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users