232 replies to this topic

#181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

They sure are.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#182 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

All they have said is that it did not involve aircraft.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#183 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

That's SOP. No names until all NoK are notified of the incident, no causes until they are proven.

#184 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

Two CF-18 fighter jets were preparing for a landing at a Florida airport that closed seven years ago but were warned off by air traffic controllers the facility no longer had a functioning runway.

The jets, from Cold Lake, Alta., were in Florida for a training exercise and had planned to land Tuesday at Tyndall Air Force Base just outside Panama City, Fla. But because of a minor in-field emergency at Tyndall, the CF-18s were diverted to Northwest Beaches International also in the same area.

The Royal Canadian Air Force jets began their approach on what they believed was Northwest Beaches but instead turned out to be SweetBay, an airport that closed in 2010.

SweetBay is now the location of a new housing development, and while a runway still exists on the site, it is no longer functioning.

http://news.national...sted-since-2010

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#185 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

I'm sure that got a few hearts racing once some of the locals saw the flaps and aircraft landing gear down, lol....

• 57WestHills likes this

#186 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Additional $ for the graving dock, in addition to what was already previously announced by Ottawa: http://www.timescolo...ding-1.10524989

1950's electrical systems...yikes!

#187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Some more stellar reporting on the part of the Times Colonist

...Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and National Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan ...are planning to join Canadian Forces members for a five-kilometre run about 9:30 a.m. followed by a tour of the base about 10:45 p.m....

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QkiqmIQC.dpuf

Based on the way the above is written it appears the 5 km run is scheduled to last over 13 hours. Sounds more like a crawl than a run to me. I also didn't realize we had an "opined" crisis in BC.

...Trudeau will then travel to Vancouver on Friday, where he plans to talk about the opined crisis.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QkiqmIQC.dpuf

• Dietrich likes this

#188 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Pretty tough crowd: no love lost for JT over on the CTV Van Isle FB page. Sorry can't link the actual story as the page is experiencing a problem but you can scroll to it from here:

https://www.facebook...EWSFEED&fref=nf

#189 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

The poor old RCN - just can't buy a break apparently - not sure how the heck you run into a stationary sub but there you go.

No gold star for navigation for whoever was at the helm of the Orca-class vessel and depending on the circumstances it might even mean the end of a career or at least any aspiration to command a vessel:

http://vancouverisla...imalt-1.3461092

#190 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

The poor old RCN - just can't buy a break apparently - not sure how the heck you run into a stationary sub but there you go.

Esquimalt Harbour is the training ground for seamanship. A few years ago a fish boat rammed the Winnipeg while she was at the jetty.

Once upon a time corvettes in the Atlantic would ram an enemy submarine, so this Navy vessel was just training for that sort of encounter when it ran into a surfaced submarine in the harbour.

#191 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:55 AM

These are my favourites.

The submarine HMCS Corner Brook has been out of action since hitting the ocean floor off Nootka Sound in 2011.

Another frigate was involved in a high-profile incident in 1996. HMCS Regina accidentally fired an unarmed, 20-kilogram chaff rocket three kilometres across the harbour and into the back shed at Pete’s Tent and Awning in View Royal.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.0Wn0pYj6.dpuf

• AllseeingEye likes this

#192 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Always wondered about the 2011 Nootka Sound incident: how the hell does a modern submarine with sophisticated sonar array's run aground - especially in home waters which presumably are well charted by hydrographic and other survey methods? That is almost inconceivable; potential career-limiting move for whoever was in charge and driving the boat to boot.....

#193 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Always wondered about the 2011 Nootka Sound incident: how the hell does a modern submarine with sophisticated sonar array's run aground - especially in home waters which presumably are well charted by hydrographic and other survey methods? That is almost inconceivable; potential career-limiting move for whoever was in charge and driving the boat to boot.....

It is a career limiting move for ANYONE that was in the conn at the time. One thing for sure though, as the paying members of the public we will never be told what happened or why.

Edited by spanky123, 16 June 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#194 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

/\....yup: and I see just today the federal Libs announced they are committed to sinking (pardon the pun) yet another $2.5++ billion just to keep these rust buckets in service for another 20 years. The cynical part of my brain figures Trudeau needs to do this in order to save face inasmuch as we bought the boats under Liberal Jean Cretin's watch....

IMO whoever serves in them and actually participates in any mission where they need to, you know, actually submerge underwater deserves a big a$$ medal.....

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#195 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

IMO whoever serves in them and actually participates in any mission where they need to, you know, actually submerge underwater deserves a big a$$ medal.....

Kind of my thoughts too.  That's brave.

#196 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

I'm very disappointed the direction is to keep the Victoria Class subs.

If I were in charge, I would go for having a kick-ass air force and be really good at one area of the Navy - I'd pick nuclear subs. We already have a pretty decent army. It's very unlikely we would have a navy or air force that is great at everything due to the enormous costs of equipment, but having 6 or 8 nuclear subs and a fleet of solid fighter jets would really give us some street cred.

Edited by jonny, 16 June 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#197 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

^ More fundamentally then that is determining what the actual role of the Navy is. Nuke subs, as an example, might be a solution if our goal was to try and thwart a Russian or Chinese attack but I personally don't see any risk of that happening any time soon.

#198 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

^ More fundamentally then that is determining what the actual role of the Navy is. Nuke subs, as an example, might be a solution if our goal was to try and thwart a Russian or Chinese attack but I personally don't see any risk of that happening any time soon.

Ya, me too.  I'd like to see our forces perform some type of dual-role that makes sense.  Small, fast coastal defence craft could also provide policing or Coast Guard and marine rescue roles, as well as maybe supporting marine or underwater research.

#199 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

And therein lies the eternal Canadian conundrum re: the CAF - doing more with less of everything - ships, fuel, human and other resource$$$$.

In theory smaller naval craft in a support role are fine for 'coastal' patrol duty and/or to backup SAR or the Coast Guard (which has even fewer resources than the navy); however they do nothing in support of our NATO obligations where blue water ships are a requirement ,i.e. the NATO Standing Maritime Group, which requires a permanent ship be engaged (one of our frigates) at all times. It serves not only a military but equally important symbolic and political role and is therefore not something we can't easily ignore.

You do need to consider that at times, so constricted have been the resources dedicated to the CAF and the RCN in particular, ships have literally remained dockside for lack of fuel and/or crew resources to run them. So while having a mixed force performing dual or multi-roles is a fine theory, unless you are called the United States of 'Murrica with a trillion dollars to spend on your military, this isn't something that can easily happen at least in the Great White & Mostly Undefended North.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 June 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#200 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

And therein lies the eternal Canadian conundrum re: the CAF - doing more with less of everything - ships, fuel, human and other resource$$$$.

With a long list of mishaps due to seamanship, our Canadian Navy needs to get back to some basic training, and what better ship to do that than the 96 year old HMCS Oriole.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users