Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#241 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 05:52 PM

Not VIHA specific but a plea for those who need Emerg services to stand up and firmly but politely DEMAND answers when you find yourself in the system, rather than meekly knuckling under when the doc says in effect "well you're still breathing and you don't have covid so.....see ya later" as he's looking at the charts of the hundred people next in line behind you.

Three years ago I started getting noticeable discoloration on my right shin/ankle area; didn't hurt but never went away so I was concerned thinking there was a circulation issue possibly at play. Years ago it was determined my heart does not efficiently pump oxygenated blood throughout my vascular system so was something that needed to be reviewed and tested periodically, which it has been. My own GP, great guy but also very old school basically said "meh you're old (I was mid-50's) and still walking upright so don't worry about it...."

A year later the the discolored area was larger so I asked again; he says its probably circulatory-related and that it was likely 'venous' blood (originating from small veins as opposed to arteries) leaking into the surface (skin) area. "We'll keep an eye on it". 

Over the last eighteen months it got worse and worse and worse and by this fall was also now quite painful not to mention scarlet red. Ok - enough of that so into Emerg I go in September; and again in October and yet again in November. Of course the pandemic was crushing the system by now, case loads were through the roof, staff run off their feet and covid worries and protocols everywhere. Each time it was "well.....you're alive and don't have covid so we'll try drug/anitibiotic x..." (and get you of here - which was never actually said but was certainly the intent). Nothing worked.

Fast forward to two weeks ago; the condition has spread from my ankle to my knee, front, back (calf), both sides. Covering it with a single bed sheet at night is agony. The entire leg is blotchy purple. I start sleeping in the spare room and even a couch downstairs because I am tossing and turning so much my wife isn't sleeping. I go to RJH yet again; by this time time they know me on a first name basis, have my favorite food on the hospital menu are are considering giving me my own parking space since I'm there so much. Well not really but may as well have. A triage/emerg doc - who looks like he hasn't slept since 2020 - decides its not a staph infection thank god, but could be a form of sepsis. But who knows? Prescribes antibiotic "'y" which does eff-all; he does book me an appointment with the venous/vascular unit at RJH - but that could be anytime from next month to next year. No idea.

Finally today I had had enough and politely but very firmly said "hey its me I'm here yet again and I'm not leaving until someone figures out what is happening and proscribes an action plan that makes sense".

Fortunately I had a great admitting tech who - the first medical professional in three years - takes one look and says "wow that looks like cellulitis": holy s***! I finally potentially have a NAME for the condition. That's something! Eventually the on call emerg doc, super nice young guy (maybe 30 but probably younger) also gets one look immediately orders up a blood sample and an IV and takes a swab for analysis. No one had done either of those things in any previous visit. Then he prescribes not one but two very powerful antibiotics which I've started tonight. He leaves me with "if these don't substantially clear up the condition in 48-60 hours get your ass back here". If the drugs fail it could require a surgical procedure to clean out the capillaries and veins of "old" blood that is not being returned to my vascular system, and which is the source of the constant burning pain. Think having a blow torch on your lower leg 7x24 and you get the picture......

The point of this ramble is this: only you know how you are feeling under those circumstances therefore you are your first and best advocate to get whatever help you need when you need it and regardless whether or not there is a pandemic raging all around you. The latter is frankly not your problem and nor is it your concern to schedule enough medical staff appropriately and to ensure they're able to function. What you can and MUST do is speak up for yourself - forcefully if necessary - especially when you know something is not right inside....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 02 January 2022 - 05:56 PM.

• Matt R., Danma, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#242 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,834 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 06:10 PM

Hope is clears up well ASE, sounds painful.   :)

#243 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 07:14 PM

Sorry to hear that ASE, hope it gets better fast.

I got things wrong with me but nothing that is causing me great pain.

I blew my left knee out about 18 months ago, torn meniscus, arthritis, swelling etc. It was quite painful for awhile but with PT and exercising I get around OK, but my orthopod won't operate until I can't walk. I'm not looking forward to that.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#244 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 07:19 PM

Sorry to hear ACE.  For everyone, MSP does cover a second opinion from a different doctor. 

#245 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 10:37 PM

Keep us posted ASE . Glad you finally had someone actually listen  .Take care 

• AllseeingEye likes this

#246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 06:36 PM

Keep us updated, ASE.

Weirdly enough, I’m reading a book about mid-age men’s health, and in the first chapter the author literally wrote that with regards to men’s health, doctors too often brush aside symptoms and test results as “getting old,” and how counterproductive that mindset can be when men attempt to seek guidance or have concerns about test results. Then ASE writes:

“My own GP, great guy but also very old school basically said "”meh you're old (I was mid-50's) and still walking upright so don't worry about it...."”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#247 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 07:18 PM

I haven't actually met my new doctor, all I know is I can't understand most of what she says.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#248 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:20 PM

The point of this ramble is this: only you know how you are feeling under those circumstances therefore you are your first and best advocate to get whatever help you need when you need it and regardless whether or not there is a pandemic raging all around you. The latter is frankly not your problem and nor is it your concern to schedule enough medical staff appropriately and to ensure they're able to function. What you can and MUST do is speak up for yourself - forcefully if necessary - especially when you know something is not right inside....

I hope this solves the problem for you ASE and thanks for speaking out.

Bottom line is that we have a very good healthcare system once you have been diagnosed with a serious condition. The problem though is getting to that diagnosis. The simple reality is that if you sit back and let life happen then you will likely pass before your time or live in prolonged pain and suffering because of something that was treatable or at least manageable. You have to do the research and not take the first answer if it doesn't make sense to you. 

• AllseeingEye, Midnightly and Teardrop like this

#249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:29 PM

I think the secret sauce is to travel to Mexico, or Eastern Europe, etc, and access world class private care there that will get you on the right path immediately, so you can return to Canada and show the doctors what is wrong and to work on a recovery or management plan based on a diagnosis you already have.

And if you’re wealthy you hop down to Seattle, or pick a US hospital that specializes in specific ailments, and get your start there.
  • A Girl is No one and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#250 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:40 PM

I think the secret sauce is to travel to Mexico, or Eastern Europe, etc, and access world class private care there that will get you on the right path immediately, so you can return to Canada and show the doctors what is wrong and to work on a recovery or management plan based on a diagnosis you already have.

And if you’re wealthy you hop down to Seattle, or pick a US hospital that specializes in specific ailments, and get your start there.

That is the sad truth. Everyone I know of means has headed to the US for treatment. The health authorities here have no problems with that as it is one less case for them to deal with. The part they don't want to hear about however is that if we had at least a partially private system here those are billions of dollars a year that would have stayed in Canada and helped invest in our care.

If you need a knee or hip replacement and don't feel like living in misery for 2-3 years until our healthcare experts find a spot behind their buddies for you, there are firms in Vancouver that all they do is book appointments in the US for Canadians for those surgeries. Not only can you get treated right away but outcomes and healing are better as the tech is far more advanced (ie robotics) than what we have here.

Edited by spanky123, 04 January 2022 - 08:43 PM.

• lanforod and Barrrister like this

#251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:42 PM

Seeing how the feds and provinces managed the legalization of cannabis, maybe that’s (an incredibly sad, but ultimately) a good thing.

Know it all.

#252 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:46 PM

^ The docs I know would love a cannabis like system where the Feds just turn a blind eye to their friends. Unfortunately as it stands the Feds will threaten you with fines and jail if you charge someone for treatment here. 

#253 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 06:26 AM

No doctor at the James Bay urgent care center anymore. But it looked like 5-6 staff there anyway - essentially giving people the address to other urgent care centres.
Apparently 811 who sent me there doesn’t know. Not good.

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:59 AM

No doctor, as in the doctor has vacated the care clinic or is temporarily away?

Know it all.

#255 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:09 AM

The medical system seems to be just getting worse in terms of looking after people. I feel fortunate to have a family GP who is great and also does house calls when needed. (No, I do not have a time machine for going back to 1970).

#256 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:11 AM

No doctor, as in the doctor has vacated the care clinic or is temporarily away?

Went to work in another clinic so they don’t have a doctor available to see patients at the James Bay urgent care center. At least not for the Tuesday morning shifts. But I think the lady said something to the likes of « we’re not in operation » so it sounds like it’s more than just one shift.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 05 January 2022 - 11:14 AM.

#257 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:14 AM

Oh my. That's not good.

In fact that's quite alarming.

Know it all.

#258 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:19 AM

Oh my. That's not good.

In fact that's quite alarming.

I was shocked. I said how come 811 does not know that? I’m hoping it’s because it’s very recent. And hopefully they find a doctor soon, otherwise I don’t understand why there were approx 5 staff in, to offer no services.
  • Barrrister likes this

#259 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:34 AM

otherwise I don’t understand why there were approx 5 staff in, to offer no services.

Because they are owned by the Province and nobody cares about efficiency.

• Matt R. and A Girl is No one like this

#260 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:47 AM

Hopefully  it is temporary, but what I dont understand is why there is no doctor prearranged to fill in in case someone gets sick?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users