Photo

Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1909 replies to this topic

#921 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:57 AM

Stop complaining and just get elected as the local MPP and you will have a doctor.

#922 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:12 AM

The more I think of it the more likely it seems that charging a fee to join the patient list is going to become common.

Just ballparking here, but: It must cost at least $250k annually to operate a small clinic - lease, office manager, receptionist, special storage facilities, equipment, etc. More if some kind of medical assistant is required.

If a doctor has, say, 1000 patients each of whom makes 4 visits a year with an average MSP reimbursement of $50/visit that equals $200k. Obviously doesn’t work. You would have to double the number of patients to make any money and that still leaves you with the administration burden.

If these guestimates are even close to right then what options are there for a GP, short of a big increase in MSP payments, other than to work for some online outfit, work in a hospital or charge an enrolment fee?

Yes, and that’s why shared practices were seen as the way to go.

If this pay-for-play registration scheme catches on, there will be a revolt. BC is adding 100,000 people a year just through in-migration with no healthcare plan to address 400,000 additional healthcare visits per year.
  • Barrrister and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#923 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:23 AM

That is $5K a year by the way.

I don't have a spare $400/month for medical care.  :(

#924 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 06:53 PM

Nparker, the government really does not think that your health care is all that important. Besides it is free even if it is often close to non existent.

#925 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 07:27 PM

The government could supply office space and one assistant per doctor to make it much more attractive to individual physicians to stay in practice. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#926 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 08:02 PM

The government could supply office space and one assistant per doctor to make it much more attractive to individual physicians to stay in practice. 

With at least one quarter of the BC Public Service now working from home at any given time, medical clinics could be opened in existing government buildings for very little cost and little impact on staff or public services. Start with the ground floor of the Ministry of Health on Blanshard Street as a trial model.

#927 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 04:36 AM

I don't have a spare $400/month for medical care.  :(

No but the moderately wealthy can afford it and will take advantage of it. The BC Government will likely turn a blind eye for now as it will get rid of a well funded opposition group prior to the next election. 

#928 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:44 PM

“TELUS Health does not charge for any primary care services,” wrote Sonya Lockyer, vice-president of TELUS Health Care Centres and Pharmacy. “The LifePlus program fees are strictly for the preventative care modalities noted above, which are provided by a multidisciplinary team that is not publicly-funded.”: https://globalnews.c...lus-health/amp/

Do they provide MSP services and only provide those MSP services if you pay their fee?

Edited by todd, 09 August 2022 - 02:53 PM.

#929 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:51 PM

Good question as to Telus Health. Is it a package deal 

#930 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:04 PM

Hmm, preventative care modalities and multidisciplinary teams sound super, but could I just have a family doctor?  You know, the kind that sits across from me in the examination room and actually diagnoses my condition.  Oops, sorry, I was slipping back into old think again.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#931 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 10:19 AM

https://twitter.com/TristinHopper

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.08.10-14_18_49.png

#932 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 12:52 PM

^ Nothing really new here, folks have been using the buddy network to get stuff from Government for as long as there has been a Government! I think what is new is that these days you can't get the stuff you need to live a problem free life unless you know somebody or donate to the right campaigns.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#933 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 12:57 PM

From what I know about Telus Health+ it is a fairly straight forward executive health + paramedical services which a lot of providers offer in Vancouver and Toronto primarily. Since these services are not covered under MSP they are ok.

What folks like me have been talking of recently is MSP provide services now been offered with various 'work arounds' and 'deeks' for those who have connections and money. Sort of like medical versions of prohibition era 'speakeasies'! These are not permitted under current law and the most recent case trying to allow them (Dr. Brian Day) has been shot down by the BC Supreme Court.

My guess is that the NDP know that he system is only going to get worse yet they have an election in the next 2 years. If they turn a blind eye then the upper middle class will get the signs off of their lawns and turn down the volume.

Edited by spanky123, 10 August 2022 - 12:58 PM.

#934 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:05 PM

Why does Hopper think it’s overpriced?

The cost to build it, is the cost to build it. House prices are a factor of many things, not just some guy’s decision to overprice it.

And land values are a factor of supply. Since we capped the supply of developable land, the price can only go up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#935 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 05:39 PM

I think you just had a Perry Mason moment.

#936 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:03 PM

“The Preventive Health Assessment includes:

Personalized health risk assessment
Advanced laboratory and diagnostic screening based on personal risk profile
Full physical examination
Comprehensive medical history and intake
Full fitness assessment with a kinesiologist
Full nutritional assessment and consultation with a registered dietitian
Immunization review
Comprehensive multidisciplinary health report and review of recommendations
Post-assessment feedback from physician and results”:
https://www.telus.co...ices/assessment

What do I get from this that I don’t get from a MSP physical exam? If I need extra services a MSP GP would refer, why would I want unnecessary medical services

Edited by todd, 10 August 2022 - 06:11 PM.

#937 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:21 PM

Heck, I don't tell my doctor half of what I eat and drink now, why would I want a full nutritional assessment?

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#938 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:51 PM

Heck, I don't tell my doctor half of what I eat and drink now, why would I want a full nutritional assessment?

Doctor asked me how much I drink he told me he drinks more then me. So now I drink more.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#939 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:57 PM

What is meant by "my doctor"?

#940 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 10:28 PM

After hearing all this I’m thinking about booking an appointment with my GP, tell him to give me the works

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users