Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1922 replies to this topic

#1301 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,948 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:26 AM

A secondary benefit would be 'pet therapy' for the patients..

Why would you need cats for that?  Mice are therapy pets too.  In North America we have this weird, narrow concept of what constitutes acceptable "pets".   Where I'm from it's more broad and includes many more species, mammals and otherwise.  For example, at hospitals amphibians are great, because they can also help infirm patients in and out of the shower and bathtub.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 January 2023 - 09:32 AM.

#1302 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:56 AM

Where exactly are you from VW?  :confused:  ;)

#1303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:57 AM

My guess, Nimh.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1304 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2023 - 03:57 PM

^ Get a cat or two from the SPCA?
A secondary benefit would be 'pet therapy' for the patients..

Cat allergies are too common for this.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1305 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 04:00 PM

Cat allergies are too common for this.

What about those hairless ones?

50c4268d1f66c07fcb8a4fd964125311.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 January 2023 - 04:01 PM.

#1306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 05:11 PM

Victoria nurse in trouble for drinking on the job and trying to get others to do it too

But this local RN did not get fired

https://www.vicnews....s-to-do-it-too/

#1307 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 05:48 PM

Better a drinker than unvaccinated.

#1308 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 07:40 PM

5-month suspension for Victoria nurse who 'falsified a medical record'

A Victoria nurse has been suspended for five months for failing to adequately assess a patient and then falsifying a medical record regarding the assessment.

A summary of a consent agreement between the B.C. College of Nurses and Midwives and registered nurse Edgardo "Jon" Santiago was posted on the college's website last week.

According to the summary, Santiago's "practice issues" occurred in July 2020.

"The registrant did not adequately assess a patient despite the patient having a significant medical history and current symptoms of concern," the summary reads. "He observed the patient, asked peers what they had observed, and reviewed the charting of previous shifts. Then, he falsified a medical record by documenting a fulsome assessment he had not completed."

More: https://vancouverisl...ecord-1.6260538

#1309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 03:45 AM

Victoria’s average walk-in clinic wait time has dropped, but still second-highest in Canada: report

https://www.cheknews...report-1139692/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2023 - 03:45 AM.

#1310 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 05:25 PM

Didn't see this coming; before my trip last week I called my GP to confirm an appointment. Call went direct to a VM system advising that for doctor "x" - my doc - callers were to stay on the line. For all other doctors they were to leave a msg. I couldn't get an answer all day after several calls...

Next day I call the clinic number again and an auto attendant advises that the number is now out of service and to re-dial a different number, which I do; that one re-directs the caller to some place over on Hillside Ave - one where the auto attendant does not answer so the call just rings and rings and rings. I think "WTH?"

So I physically go to the clinic the next day and there is a hand-written note taped to the door advising that Dr "x" new phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxxx. Huh? So I dial that one and get another VM system this time with a recorded msg I recognise as my doc's voice. I leave a msg which he actually returns while I'm back east while our plane is taxiing to a stop on the runway in TO. Confirms the appointment for today. Whew! All rather odd though...

So the story is his three partners all marched over to Hillside Avenue all right - presumably they were offered some $ incentive, perhaps cheap office lease rates - and set up their new practice in new medical offices provided by.....Walmart

My GP refused point blank I gather because there is no private entry into the "Walmart" medical offices, meaning it seems that you walk through or past or around the grocery aisle to access the medical offices which was a no-go for him. So now the 'system' is apparently competing for scarce medical professionals with the Walmart's of the world. 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 15 February 2023 - 05:26 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 05:30 PM

ASE, that’s quite the the runaround.

So there is now a medical clinic operating out of the Hillside Walmart, but the doctors are acting as regular GPs with their list of patients, or are they now walk-in GPs?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 06:25 PM

Thank you NDP for Walmarting our healthcare system. I wish I could say this was resulting inGV.jpg but there hasn't been any corresponding reduction in my taxes.

• Matt R. likes this

#1313 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 11:43 AM

Here is a mentally ill person that can hardly wait to die. And I suspect we will just kill her when the time comes.

"It was the first time in my life where I felt most of my pain and suffering could end — that I could be in control of that, because I don't want to go on," she said.

Gawron, 43, says it gave her peace of mind knowing she wouldn't become someone else's burden.

"I don't want to take away from somebody who can be helped. I'm at the point where I don't want to be fixed. I feel strength, because it's me finally showing compassion to myself."

https://www.cbc.ca/r...woman-1.6749195

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 February 2023 - 11:43 AM.

#1314 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 01:52 PM

Why should people be made to live if they don't want to?

#1315 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 01:58 PM

She - if she was of sound mind - is perfectly capable of killing herself today.

But she wants others to kill her. Like suicide by cop.

She has serious mental issues.

I’m not sure we should just kill her on her own say so.

#1316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 01:59 PM

Why should people be made to live if they don't want to?

Nobody is. There is no shortage of information online on how to kill yourself.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 February 2023 - 01:59 PM.

#1317 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:04 PM

But leaving it to the professionals makes sense. Government and Pharma both hold the top spots for the amount of people they have killed…

#1318 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:14 PM

Plus approximately 4500 people die by suicide in Canada each year. That can be brought up to 45,000 with a good ad campaign. That’s a solid income stream AND it can reduce costs to pensions and healthcare.

#1319 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:18 PM

Doctors are paid about $550 per death they perform.

#1320 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:43 PM

Must say in part this debate took on a stark new meaning for me and our family as suicide was the reason for the recent trip back east; we went to support our closest cousin who came home from work one day three weeks ago to find his wife had hung herself in a back closet. He found her sitting on her yoga mat, laptop setup to play and endlessly loop her favorite songs, a rope tied from the inside doorknob the other end around her neck, and a half consumed bottle of sleeping pills.....

Her name was Kathy and in addition to a loving husband she left behind two grown children, a grandchild by one of them, a pregnant daughter-in-law by the other, three sisters, and about forty immediate and extended family. She had a very successful career and also left behind dozens of stunned work colleagues and a myriad of devastated friends.

When this awful subject rears up out of the blue and slaps your family across their collective chops it quickly becomes one not to be minimized or trivialized. It is quite literally deadly serious and merits IMO a serious, thoughtful and above all respectful discussion.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users