Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1909 replies to this topic

#1321 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 04:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss and situation. My wife’s mother had an assisted suicide. I have had three friends commit suicide over my lifetime. It absolutely should be a real discussion. It never is anymore though. And sarcasm can point towards real issues.

#1322 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 06:40 PM

Minors should be eligible for assisted dying, parliamentary committee says

Canada’s assisted dying laws should be expanded to include minors, a parliamentary committee has recommended in a report tabled in the House of Commons.

After hearing from nearly 150 witnesses and reviewing more than 350 briefs on Canada’s medically assisted dying (MAiD) program, the special joint committee of MPs and senators concluded that minors deemed to have the appropriate decision-making capacity should be eligible for assisted death.

https://globalnews.c...mmittee-report/

#1323 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 06:44 PM

Doctors are paid about $550 per death they perform.

That’s not the only revenue stream

Organ donation after medical assistance in dying offers possibilities

https://www.cbc.ca/r...ities-1.5156392

#1324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 01:37 PM

Has anyone looked into how many doctors are no longer practising, because they disagree with what the government now requires them to provide as a service, in order to maintain their license?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1325 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 01:50 PM

3,300 unvaccinated B.C. health-care workers placed on unpaid leave following mandate

https://www.vernonmo...lowing-mandate/
  • Nparker likes this

#1326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 01:52 PM

Vaccine aside, how many doctors are no longer practicing because they have an opposed moral stance on an issue the government has forced upon them? Or tried to, rather?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1327 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 02:13 PM

1556 signatories against the legislation here.

https://maid2mad.ca/

#1328 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 03:18 PM

The self-destruction agendas tend to follow the same pattern:

First it's about getting the state to allow it. (Why isn't it legal? It should be legal.)

Then it's about getting the state to facilitate it. (Okay, it's legal now, but why isn't it easier to do it? It should be easier to do it.)

Once you have legal permission and the mechanisms of facilitation, then it's about getting the state's blessing -- a kind of "moral" endorsement. (Okay, it's legal and easy now, but why isn't it being promoted as something good and right? Why isn't everyone doing it? Why aren't YOU doing it?)

First: legalize it
Second: facilitate it
Third: legitimize it & normalize it

The mainstreaming of drug use and addiction followed this exact same formula. Methinks it's an especially seductive progression for anyone who worships the state and state authority.

• LJ, dasmo and max.bravo like this

#1329 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 03:25 PM

It’s the new religion…
  • Barrrister and max.bravo like this

#1330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 03:59 PM

Or it’s creating a future where youth will reject drugs, because they’re so ubiquitous and no longer worth doing to be rebellious and edgy.

It’s already more anti-mainstream to be a young conservative than it is to be a young opiate user.

Know it all.

#1331 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:59 PM

Being straight-edge has been anti establishment since the 80’s at least.

Edited by Matt R., 21 February 2023 - 12:00 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#1332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 09:07 AM

Please read the article.

‘If I can go, I go’: Nelson ER doctor saves lives in his spare time

Dr. Nicholas Sparrow is Nelson’s Citizen of the Year

https://www.vicnews....his-spare-time/

It’ll make your day better.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 March 2023 - 09:08 AM.

#1333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:17 AM

Health centre coming to Sooke:

People living in Sooke and the surrounding area will benefit from a new integrated health-care centre offering team-based services in the heart of Sooke village.

The new centre is the latest in a series of investments over the past six years to build capacity and improve health-care services for residents in Sooke.

“Improving access to health-care services for people in B.C. is a key priority for our government,” said John Horgan, MLA for Langford-Juan de Fuca. “This centre will be critical to meeting the health-care needs of people living in Sooke and surrounding areas, now and in the future, and I am proud that people in the region will soon benefit from being able to access the care they need, close to home.”

The new facility will combine the community health centre (CHC) and urgent- and primary-care centre (UPCC) at a future development planned for 6671 Wadams Way.

Once open, the CHC/UPCC centre will consolidate local primary-care services from West Coast Family Medicine Clinic and other local community services into a single location, making it easier for people to access the health services they need. This will be done by better connecting more people to integrated health-care services in the community, such as primary care, culturally safe supports and mental-health and substance-use services.

“This new integrated health-care facility will connect people in the community to a range of health-care services, including primary care, urgent care and community health services all under one roof,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health. “Integrating physicians into a community-based primary-care model means more time for patients, more patients accessing health-care services and less administrative burden for practitioners. This is part of our continuing work to build increased and improved access to primary health care for people in Sooke.”

The team of clinical providers is expected to include family physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, mental-health and substance-use workers and other allied health providers. The new staff will supplement the existing staff working at West Coast Family Medicine Clinic.

The ministry is also providing funding to hire an Indigenous cultural safety liaison to support the project while planning is underway.

Over the past six years, government has made significant investments in building health-care service capacity to support growing demand and the high-use rate of health services in the Sooke region. Investments include increased mental-health counselling and home support services, $1 million in funding to further support team-based care and $600,000 in funding to expand and improve the West Coast Family Medicine Clinic, and $10.5 million to establish the Western Communities Primary Care Network. These investments were made based on significant local engagement.

The new facility will be community-governed and operated by the Sooke Region Communities Health Network and is expected to join the provincial rostering system to ensure patient care continuity and attachment initiative announced in 2022 as part of the new payment model for family physicians.

Know it all.

#1334 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:23 AM

...Over the past six years, government has made significant investments in building health-care service capacity to support growing demand and the high-use rate of health services...

I haven't had regular access to a physician in over 7 years.

• Barrrister likes this

#1335 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:55 AM

Our family has had occasion to use the province’s health care system more than usual over the last few months, and I must say I’m severely disappointed by the level of care we get for our tax dollars. It’s not nearly good enough.
  • Nparker, Matt R., Barrrister and 1 other like this

#1336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

Our family has had occasion to use the province’s health care system more than usual over the last few months, and I must say I’m severely disappointed by the level of care we get for our tax dollars. It’s not nearly good enough.

Too bad it's mostly illegal to pay for better care.

#1337 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 08:39 PM

I fly to Rochester, great care.

#1338 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 09:42 PM

A friend of a friend’s wife posted this little missive on FB today. Burnt out after so little time? Must be bad out there.

“To whom it may concern:
I chose not to be a nurse today.

I let my nursing license expire. It was a deliberate choice. I didn’t forget. I got all the reminders, the newsletters, the notices. I saw the infographics, commercials, and emails. I got all the information.
And I got the ‘historical and outstanding’ bargaining update.

I didn’t renew my license because I don’t think the system is worth the fight anymore. I fought for years to make this system work. I started as a Residential Care Worker in 2008, became an RN in 2015. I did 6 years of Acute Care at the hospital. 1 year on a Covid cohort. 6 months in Community Covid Response. And most recently, Oncology.

I have seen a lot.
Some things that I’ll never forget.
And a lot that I really wish I could.

I think I want to actually help again, instead of putting all my strength into making the system work. I’m going to focus on that. Just helping people where I really can.

And now, after the clock hit midnight and that paperwork expired, I’m free. Princess or pumpkin, I get to be whatever I choose to be because I’m not the system’s Cinderella any more.

I deserve better than this healthcare system.
My colleagues deserve better than this system.
The people of BC deserve better than this system.

Everyone deserves better.

Sincerely,
Chantelle Delamont

P.S. Nurses you should strike! (never take the first offer; your manager’s administrator’s boss never would 🤓)”

#1339 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 10:37 AM

^ Seems to me a little extreme, does she not realize that there is an entire private sector who employs nurses and affords them a much higher work/life balance?

#1340 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:04 PM

I’m sure it’ll all work out. The husband spends a lot of time on the road doing comedy and it looks like they are having a good run right now, Post Covid.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

lanforod