BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

I once sat on the benches of the northern side of the lot and was subsequently told to move along by someone who I assumed was a maintenance worker or a building manager.

It's green space for show, and that's about it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

I once sat on the benches of the northern side of the lot and was subsequently told to move along by someone who I assumed was a maintenance worker or a building manager.

It's green space for show, and that's about it.

It is private property so technically they can tell anyone to get lost.

But it is important to keep in mind that open area was built for the public to enjoy and I would encourage everyone to use it often in the daytime, as long as people use the space respectfully and not litter etc.

#83 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

^^ Hmm, I suspect I could go to Beacon Hill Park and randomly tell people to "move along now", and they would....

#84 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

Yeah Regents Park is perhaps the most destructive planning mistake in Downtown Victoria. I would rank it above View towers actually as the podium of View Towers could still be filled in ala Chelsea down the street. Regent Park has no hope, it destroys the neighbourhood it occupies and yet doesn't care.

#85 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

I talked to the developer today and the section above the entrance is now glassy and bowed outward slightly.

And that grate at the far right hides the utility box. Parking entrance is at the far left.

#86 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

There's a TON of BS in that rendering, if you ask me. Check out what I assume is the u/g garage entry on the right: it is TINY. We're supposed to believe it'll actually be that petite when built? Would be nice, but somehow I doubt it...

But then again, maybe it's not the entry to an u/g parking garage. From the scale, I'd say the dumpsters are behind that door.

The item behind the louvers on the right is actually the transformer required by BC Hydro, the parking garage is at the opposite end of the building (N.E corner)

#87 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

If the latest proposal calls for seven storeys then the building will (obviously) be built of concrete.

Also, since that the building conforms to zoning/density regulations (thanks Rob for that information) we can assume that the developer probably won't ask for a variance re: parking requirements (one stall per suite).

Surpisingly enough there is no parking requirement (zero) for this building under the zoning!, but there is a requirement for one bicycle parking space per unit:confused:

#88 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

How could there be no parking requirement?? Unless this is some new special zone it would have a parking requirement.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#89 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

This job is moving along nicely and might even break ground this year or early next at the very latest.

#90 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

So marketing should be starting soon?

#91 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

How could there be no parking requirement?? Unless this is some new special zone it would have a parking requirement.

Apparently not!

No parking is required on a lot.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#92 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

What is the name of Fraser McColl's development company? Will this go to the Planning & Land Use Committee anytime soon ?

#93 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

I think they still may be calling themselves Mosaic Properties.

I think (it seems I'm not certain on much these days) that it won't go to Planning & Land Use because there is no rezoning or variances, only a development permit.

My guess is that it will go to Governance & Priorities who will send it to Design Panel then to Council for vote. But this is a wild ass guess.

#94 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Not that wild as it turns out, no variances and no rezoning indicate the route you have mentioned. The no parking requirement is not a 'new zoning' and exists in numerous locations in DT Victoria (note the Mosaic, though an existing commercial building, was rezoned and also had no parking requirments) Numerous design changes based on comments given by the City has resulted in a reduction in the number of parking stalls, but as zero are required it has no effect on the DP application.The development company is as yet unamed and is typically based on the individual project (I.E The Reef= The Reef condominium development Ltd, The Mosaic= Mosaic group of properties etc)

#95 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

The whole of the Harris green area is zoned this way, no parking requirements for development.

#96 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

wow that's news to me. I guess I just never worked on a building in that area.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#97 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

^Hang on, I'm not sure on that. Some sites within Harris Green have parking requirements.

#98 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Double check Rob, there are four streets within the Harris green area that mark the boundaries of the development section that does not have a parking requirement. This was done to encourage people to abandon the car in favour of either walking or bicycle. I have the revised elevation of the Jukebox showing the 'curved glass wall' but i am not permitted to upload attachments so would you like me to email it to you ?

#99 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

Sure! rwrandall (a) hotmail dot com.

There are some lots in HG that have 1 suite-1 stall requirements.

#100 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

And then you know what to do, Rob. ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users