Rehab Nightclub | Victoria | 502 Discovery Street | CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Closed after Saturday night, apparently to undergo some type of transformation.

Now sometimes, in nightclub talk, that means they got a 10 or 14 day liquor suspension, but I don't know that that is the case. I do know the place doesn't do all that well financially, but then again they aren't exactly in a high-rent spot either.

The owner isn't necessarily the type to do major work, unless it has been sold or there is new ownership in some way.

Dunno. :confused:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

The club sure has had a long run, though. It feels like Evolution has been Evolution since before the turn of the century. Is there any other nightclub in Victoria that has as long a run?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

The club sure has had a long run, though. It feels like Evolution has been Evolution since before the turn of the century. Is there any other nightclub in Victoria that has as long a run?

I think you are right.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

And really Evolution was just Scandals in a different location. I can't see Perry working elsewhere so I doubt it is sold.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

And really Evolution was just Scandals in a different location. I can't see Perry working elsewhere so I doubt it is sold.

I dunno. I have fond memories of Scandals, it was alternative, although I never was, but it played good music. Somehow that vibe never went to Evolution, but maybe I just got old too.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Mrs. West used to work at Evolution hosting after-hours parties.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Conveniently located next to the asphalt plant. Could anyone pick a worse location for a nightclub in this city. Brings back a lot of memories thou...Scandels, Wastelands, Hunters, the Forge....

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'd say it's the perfect location for a club and its too bad other clubs didn't open nearby.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Conveniently located next to the asphalt plant. Could anyone pick a worse location for a nightclub in this city. Brings back a lot of memories thou...Scandels, Wastelands, Hunters, the Forge....

I dunno. Lots of parking, not many adjoining businesses to urinate in their doorways or smash their windows. No pedestrian traffic to get in fights with. No neighbours to make noise complaints. Walk up to Douglas to catch cabs coming back into the city before they pick up their next fare further downtown. Not suited for bar-hopping on foot, but otherwise, pretty ideal.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Industrial areas like that should be encouraged to develop into nightlife hotspots for all of the reasons stated above.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Well, as a Store/Chatham St denizen, I will say there are some residential neighbours who have had the Evolution experience...the yahoos and so on. But it's all part of the fun of living downtown. That and walking the dogs amongst the ladies of the night...

#12 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

I dunno. I have fond memories of Scandals, it was alternative, although I never was, but it played good music. Somehow that vibe never went to Evolution, but maybe I just got old too.

Uh, not you getting old. At Scandals, the sound system sounded like it was tuned and run by professionals. At Evo, not so much. It had the potential to have a grand sound system, and even was once in a while, but i stopped going there because the staff insisted on overemphasizing the bass to the point of distortion. Doesn't matter how good the music they choose is if the speakers are clipping. It was entirely possible to get good, loud bass out of the system but they chose to do otherwise most of the time despite repeated complaints - "you don't know how to run a sound system" "I know what I'm doing" and "go away" are not usually great ways to deal with someone who's offering you feedback. I guess enough people didn't care, because they're still in business.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

^ Well my nightclubbing days kind of ended around the time that scandals closed and I only went to Evo a couple of times and it seemed similar.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Evolution will be coming back later in the summer as a different club, but it will be operated by the same people.

Interior renos are currently under way.

Know it all.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Reopens on July 28th.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:23 AM

Today's TC:

Nightclub gets new look, name

Evolution is evolving. The nightclub at 502 Discovery St. is getting a name change and complete makeover. Longtime owner Perry Fanthorpe will unveil the new look and name during an invitation-only party on Wednesday from 7 to 10 p.m. and then open the doors to all. Spokeswoman Julia Doran said the new club "will be comfortably modern, with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere." The club will feature DJ-spun music and continue with live bands on Thursday nights.

http://www.timescolo...7870/story.html

#17 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

They renamed it 'Rehab'. :rolleyes:

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

I had to check to make sure you weren't joking. You're not. Ouch.

I'm opening Club Foot next week.

#19 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

Yep, saw them putting up the outdoor club "trimmings" yesterday, all proudly emblazoned with "Rehab". I wonder how the PR meeting will spin that. Definitely a move upmarket :)

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

I suppose the name will be a hit with the sorts of people who wear their baseball caps on sideways, for a little while at least.

I wonder what their marketing slogan will be? "Come feel like Lindsay Lohan for a night!"

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users