Roxy Theatre

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

The public hearing will be November 8th. The proponent has made a formal application to have Councillor Gudgeon excluded from the process based on conflict-of-interest, owing to the fact that her immediate family owns a nearby liquor-primary business (Fifth Street Pub).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

^That exclusion makes sense and fits with past incidents where councillors excused themselves for perceived conflict.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Councillor Young excused himself from a liquor application by Temple simply because his office (Discovery Economic Consulting) is on the next block of Langley.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

ROXY theatre info for the hearing on Thursday.

Facebook:

https://www.facebook...151299046995225

#65 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

My email in support has been sent :)

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Anybody else coming tomorrow night?

#67 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

I am considering it. My only issue being that the meeting starts at 7:30 and there is a rezoning and heritage application prior to it so it likely will not go ahead till around 9pm. Guessing...

We will see perhaps I will go and see how it starts. I need my beauty sleep!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I am considering it. My only issue being that the meeting starts at 7:30 and there is a rezoning and heritage application prior to it so it likely will not go ahead till around 9pm. Guessing...

We will see perhaps I will go and see how it starts. I need my beauty sleep!

Yes, I see that, I would say probably a 9pm start. There are about 12 letters on file, only one against.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Got off to an earlier start than we thought.

It's over, no council discussion or decision until November 22nd, but public input is over.

To me, it looked very positive, the only opposition speakers were the drug store owners.

G-man delivered a nice speech, and I took the full ten minutes to get all my points in.

#70 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

What was the issue with the Drug Store owner? I know him well. He also owns the Drug Store at 2020 Richmond. Why would he have a problem?

#71 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

I think they are generally against alcohol.

It has a whole new look!

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think they sell worse than that over the counter.

#73 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Roxy’s bid to serve alcohol put on hold

BY BILL CLEVERLEY, TIMES COLONIST NOVEMBER 8, 2012 11:04 PM

Victoria council will decide in two weeks whether to approve the Roxy Classic Theatre’s bid to serve liquor at its Quadra Street location.

On Thursday, council heard from about 10 people who spoke at a public hearing, with slightly more in favour than against.

[...]

Article link

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

http://www.timescolo...3575/story.html

Roxy's bid to serve alcohol put on hold

Cinema application back at Victoria council in 2 weeks

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist

G-man and I were unclear on the delay in a vote, but honestly, I think they expected much more opposition, or at least a more contentious hearing. ZERO directly nearby residents spoke at the hearing last night.

#75 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

^That's funny because you will remember that when that liquor store was proposed for the Fairway/Brick parking lot, residents were freaking out. They thought another liquor store in the same neighbourhood as the existing government liquor store would be bad for the area. If anything, a theatre has more potential to discharge troublesome patrons than a small boutique liquor store. I bet the drugstore's main beef would be people using their property as a urinal.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

^That's funny because you will remember that when that liquor store was proposed for the Fairway/Brick parking lot, residents were freaking out. They thought another liquor store in the same neighbourhood as the existing government liquor store would be bad for the area.

Correct, you and I were both at that meeting, where opponents described the area as fragile, and at least one councillor said, "Quadra Village can handle it". I brought this up last night.

If anything, a theatre has more potential to discharge troublesome patrons than a small boutique liquor store. I bet the drugstore's main beef would be people using their property as a urinal.

One drugstore owner did not understand the application at all, the other mainly disliked theatre people parking in his lot. I'm sure Robbins would be happy to fix that for them, no charge. He also thought there were lots of drunks in the area. He did not mention if there was any cross-over of those drunks, and his methadone clinic patrons.

But seriously, what street-level drunk gets their alcohol from a theatre that charges admission, and then $5 to $7 per drink?

#77 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

I don't think the problems would stem from crazy drunks, merely regular people who, after having a drink or two, suddenly find the need to relieve themselves anywhere. Maybe a little hooting and hollering along the way. Mild stuff, really in the grand scheme of things but it does bother some.

#78 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

The Roxy doesn't have a washroom you could hit on the way out? Really?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#79 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

So anyone know the outcome from city hall?

It has a whole new look!

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

So anyone know the outcome from city hall?

No, not even the proponent. He was not there and I was worried about the big re-zoning before it dragging on. I have a call in to City Hall.

And I presume the TC left the meeting early or were not there. So they ran a story headlined "Roxy.. put on hold.." and explaining how the decision would be last night. Now they are silent. Nice work.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users