Roxy Theatre

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

APPROVED. I spoke to Robert Woodland, he did not have the exact vote in front of him, and I did not press, we can find that out later. But of course he recalled the outcome.

All good. :cheers:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Awesome!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Admission and beer pricing is by donation.

Liquor event at Roxy. On Facebook.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#84 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Blue Bridge theatre group buys Roxy, will stage live performances there
ADRIAN CHAMBERLAIN / TIMES COLONIST
FEBRUARY 13, 2013
http://www.timescolo...s-there-1.73762
A Victoria couple’s passion for theatre is helping to transform a tired Quadra Street cinema into a new venue for live performances.

Blue Bridge Repertory Theatre has purchased the Roxy Theatre for $965,000 from businessman Michael Sharpe. “We just signed the documents this morning,” Blue Bridge artistic director Brian Richmond said Wednesday.

He said his company will offer a combination of theatre and film at the Roxy, on Quadra Street near Hillside Avenue.

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Wow this is huge. Overall I think that this is great news. I am ever so slightly concerned about what the name will be.

It has a whole new look!

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hmmm, actually they embark now on a 30-month fund-raising campaign to own it, but they will operate it as they raise cash.

#87 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Funny, this thread started, nearly three years ago, with a post about how the theatre was for sale for $1.2 million.

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hmmm, actually they embark now on a 30-month fund-raising campaign to own it, but they will operate it as they raise cash.

I think the 2 million is doable over that time period. I want to donate already. It is really great news for the Village. It could (fingers crossed) mean that we see one more higher end dinner place move in besides San Remo and Fifth Street.

QV always makes me a little sad because it has everything already but just needs a little bit of in-fill to make it great. Too bad that lot at the South end hasn't sold and that the Quadra Villa project is such a debacle.

It has a whole new look!

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Good for them.

And the new liquor license certainly won't hurt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Good for them.

Yes, they wanted a place that they could be cash-flow positive right off the bat, and with their skill, I think they can pull it off.

#91 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Walked by last night.

Closed and no scheduled movies.

Says 'Blue Bridge Theatre' on the marquee.

#92 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Good for them.

Can you transfer a liquor license like that?

#93 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

The location/theatre has the license, so it would of been part of the purchase.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Yes, but we are hearing that BB might not want it.

#95 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

The license does not transfer with the sale of the business and the new owners would have to apply to the BC LCLB for a transfer and go though the usual application process.

Matt.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

The license does not transfer with the sale of the business and the new owners would have to apply to the BC LCLB for a transfer and go though the usual application process.

Matt.

I guess technically that's true, but a transfer will not be denied if the new applicant meets all the normal liquor board criteria (criminal record check, yada, yada). Because it's liquor-primary, the original approval required political approval - a vote by City Council. The transfer does not, if terms of service (hours, licensed seats etc.) are not changed. That takes the guess-work out of the application. Meet the rules, and you got the transfer.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

They should just keep the license. It's far easier to transfer the license (easy-peasy actually) compared to applying for even a food primary let alone a liquor primary and this would put them ahead of the game compared to the Royal and McPherson theaters that allow liquor consumption only outside of the seating area.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

They should just keep the license. It's far easier to transfer the license (easy-peasy actually) compared to applying for even a food primary let alone a liquor primary and this would put them ahead of the game compared to the Royal and McPherson theaters that allow liquor consumption only outside of the seating area.

I can't speak to the McPherson, but the Royal has a license for you to drink on the stage or in any of the 1,400 seats. They haven't let people drink in their seats yet, but they could any time they want to.

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Blue Bridge theatre group buys Roxy, will stage live performances there
ADRIAN CHAMBERLAIN / TIMES COLONIST
FEBRUARY 13, 2013

Blue Bridge was on CFAX this morning, saying they are not very strong financially right now.

Not on the verge of closing, but not in great shape.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

OK, liquor license all set, you can take your drink to your seat now, and the first performance starts November 19th.

No one under 19 can attend evening performances.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users