Roxy Theatre

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

I did not say they were bankrupt.  I said "in bankruptcy (proceedings)".  

All but two of their unsecured creditors not only lost their profits from their transaction, but at 25 cents on the dollar, suffered real business losses.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

If Vibrant Victoria wants to "report" you need to do it correctly.

Also, stop censoring my posts -- what are you, Donald Trump?

Edited by Hmmm, 24 February 2017 - 08:55 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#123 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

With all due respect, i personally get the difference between "in bankruptcy" and "bankrupt". But that's just me and i'm not a lawyer, but in bankruptcy means you can still be saved, with the acceptance of your creditors.  I just hope everyone can get along, but sadly, if i got 25 cents on my dollar, i'd be rather pissed off.

Edited by JanionGuy, 24 February 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

Also, stop censoring my posts -- what are you, Donald Trump?

I said this:

Picking up chatter that says Blue Bridge may be in bankruptcy.

Then I quoted their reply on Facebook:

Blue Bridge Repertory Theatre Untrue. Blue Bridge Theatre has recently presented a proposal to its remaining unsecured creditors. Our hope is, with its acceptance, that the Society will be well placed to execute its 3 year strategic plan as we head into our 2nd decade. In the meantime, plans for our 2017 season are well underway.

Then I said:

I never said there were all done, but that they were in a proceeding, which they admit they are.

Then you posted a news article:

http://www.timescolo...itors-1.9778045

And another:

http://www.timescolo...deal-1.10336543

Then you decided to elevate the intelligent discussion by using an f-bomb in your post.  Which will always be deleted, no matter where it appears.  

I get it, Hmmm, you are sensitive about the topic.  But you can still be an adult about it, and stop the name-calling and swearing when you do not get your way.  I'm not censoring anyone, but I'm doing my job as a moderator here.   5 of us volunteers read every single post on this forum and we act when appropriate.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#125 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

Re: bankrupt and bankruptcy. Yes, you have a point. And yes, 25 cent on the dollar is crappy for the creditors. They no doubt felt they had zero choice.

Perhaps this is a more constructive way of putting this. VV often posts be one or two sentence 'stories,' without full explanation of context.  These can be very misleading.

When you say a business is in "bankruptcy" followed by "confirmed" -- what will the average reader think?

Will they think, "Oh, this is part of a process - they're not necessarily out of business?"

No. They'll think the organization is out of business. That's irresponsible - put yourself in the position of the business being reported on. And think of how damaging the tag "bankruptcy" can be to any business. Does that make sense?

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

Perhaps this is a more constructive way of putting this. VV often posts be one or two sentence 'stories,' without full explanation of context.  These can be very misleading.

The wonderful thing about this forum is that you can post a rebuttal, post links to outside news sources, or post your version.  All things that you can not do with a TC article, for example.

When someone gets it wrong here, or is slightly off, they are usually soon corrected.  The average reader here will read both my comment and the subsequent discussion, and maybe the TC articles.  No harm done here to Blue Bridge (especially compared to the companies that are getting 25 cents on the dollar).

• http likes this

#127 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

Yes - there is harm to Blue Bridge.  I've talked to more than people who think they've gone bankrupt. And one of them said they read it here.

So you should take your responsibilities more seriously -- rather than just shoot-from-the-hip slagging. That is, if you want your site to be taken seriously.

Shoddy reporting is what gets media tagged as fake news. Perhaps this is more of a gossip site or something. Then I guess anything goes.

#128 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

None of us are professional reporters.  We post speculation here lots, for sure.  Then we all discuss.  Again, it gets worked out.  A TC article, CHEK news item, it goes with no correction or discussion.  We think this is a good system.  Again, we have no issues at all with your posting links to other news sources.  Try that even in a newspaper discussion thread, where they still exist, it'll be flagged and removed.  We promote further discussion.

I'm sorry the one person that you spoke to here mis-read the posts.  Too bad the 44,000 people that read the TC each day have no follow-up when they print an article that's wrong, like the Our Place guy, Ian.  The fellow you spoke to, unless he's made his one and only read of this forum for the year, will probably see all this follow-up.

#129 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

OK - I guess I have misunderstood VV's mandate. I thought you were supposed to be a news site or something.

#130 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

Also - (yes, I know I'm going on and on at this point) - why are all postings here under pseudonyms? I note there's a lot of criticism and mockery of CFAX,CHEK, TC etc on this site.

But these organization do attach people's names and faces to their stories.

This seems a more legitimate and ethical way of going forward. Perhaps these days these have become old-fashioned values.

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

Also - (yes, I know I'm going on and on at this point) - why are all postings here under pseudonyms? I note there's a lot of criticism and mockery of CFAX,CHEK, TC etc on this site.

But these organization do attach people's names and faces to their stories.

This seems a more legitimate and ethical way of going forward. Perhaps these days these have become old-fashioned values.

I think you misunderstand what this site is.  We have thousands of registered users.  Members.  And thousands more lurkers.  Everyone is free to use their real name if they so choose.  You can too, Hmmm.   Just let us know, we can change it for you.

#132 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

Yes, it's true I'm using a pseudonymn.

I would suggest this.

Why don't the "reporters" on this site use their real names? Those who want to comment can use either real names or pseudonyms. That will boost your credibility- something this site (ironically in my view) regularly suggests is lacking in other local media.

There you go, anonymous hockey fan/"super moderator". That one's for free.

#133 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

There are no "reporters" on this site.  True, a couple of us write for part of a living, but that's not what this site is.  It's more free-wheeling.

As far as our credibility, if this online site does not have it, what local site does, that people are flooding to for more accurate information, and civil discourse, Reddit Victoria?   :rtfm:   :banana:

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

Anyway, back on track here.  What's the next Roxy / Blue Bridge show?

• Matt R. likes this

#135 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

I thought it was pretty clear throughout this thread that this was a bankruptcy proceeding, and that there would be an outcome from that proceeding that we would be waiting to read about.

We then read that the majority of creditors approved reduced payments, and now that bankruptcy proceeding is over.

Whether Blue Bridge will be able to pay those they still owe the now reduced payments to, and to do so in the time agreed upon still remains to be seen.

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Yes, it's true I'm using a pseudonymn.

I would suggest this.

Why don't the "reporters" on this site use their real names? Those who want to comment can use either real names or pseudonyms. That will boost your credibility- something this site (ironically in my view) regularly suggests is lacking in other local media.

There you go, anonymous hockey fan/"super moderator". That one's for free.

Yes there are many reporters on this site and many are knowledgeable about more than one topic.

They come from various backgrounds and as some are well known in the community, they prefer to remain anonymous.

During my time on the forum I have met all of the moderators, and they are not lacking in credibility.

The next event at the Roxy is "Tarzan - the Musical" on March 1st.

more; http://roxytheatre.ca/events/upcoming/

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

I thought it was pretty clear throughout this thread that this was a bankruptcy proceeding, and that there would be an outcome from that proceeding that we would be waiting to read about.

We then read that the majority of creditors approved reduced payments, and now that bankruptcy proceeding is over.

Whether Blue Bridge will be able to pay those they still owe the now reduced payments to, and to do so in the time agreed upon still remains to be seen.

Welcome to the forum, Cassidy.

#138 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

The main season (back to the summer season) is below. The organization has been financially on the edge from the beginning, which is not surprising for a new smaller group (look at the years of effort it has taken Ballet Victoria to reach a level of stability), but the quality of the productions has been and remains consistently high from the very first season.

http://bluebridgethe...ca/2016-season/

The Caretaker
April 27-May 7

Born Yesterday
May 30-June 11

Our Town
July 4-16

Red, Hot Cole!
August 2-13

• Jill likes this

#139 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

Live stage productions written by the likes of Harold Pinter, Thornton Wilder, and Garson Kanin may have been popular 40 and 50 years ago, but despite the high quality of the writing - this type of live drama is not at all popular to general audiences in 2017, and is a very difficult sell in a relatively small city.

Blue Bridge chooses these shows to focus their artistic efforts on, and therefore must plan financially to move forward with the very limited audiences (and therefore with the very limited financial resources) that will pay to attend this style of live theatre.

With Blue Bridge, their lack of paid audience members has had absolutely nothing to do with show quality (which has been quite high since the companies inception), and has had everything to do with the relatively unpopular plays Blue Bridge has repeatedly chosen to present, along with a series of questionable management decisions related to ensuring the companies long term stability.

• Redd42 likes this

#140 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

Agreed. It is great that creditors have accepted reduced payments. The debate should not be about what to call the proceedings but rather what is going to change to make this company viable.

It is going to be very difficult to get credit going forward and the interest on the debt still needs to be paid. It would stand to reason that if nothing changes then the company will be in a similar situation again.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users