Roxy Theatre

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#141 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:56 AM

I think anonymity is good for free discussion.

It's also good for free-wheeling slagging.... when people have their names attached to posts, they are more responsible in their commentary.

#142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

It's also good for free-wheeling slagging.... when people have their names attached to posts, they are more responsible in their commentary.

11 years in and we have no problems here, Hmmm.  We ain't changing it just for you.  

We note that although you have made 55 posts total, every one of them is in this thread or in a TC thread.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#143 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

Some of the issues raised are interesting and I think worth discussing. But if you'd rather I stay off V V that's fine, too.

#144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:19 AM

Some of the issues raised are interesting and I think worth discussing. But if you'd rather I stay off V V that's fine, too.

If the only two issues you want to discuss is the Roxy and the TC, ya, we'd rather you just stay off.

• GaryRanson likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#145 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

You got it.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

I guess Hmmm has never seen the vitriol individuals pen on our Facebook pages under their own names, complete with a photo and their birthdate.

A name doesn't fix the issue Hmmm is referring to, which makes me think the individual is out of touch with the reality of social media and the lengths some people will go to make a point, anonymous or not.
  • http likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#147 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

You're dreaming. http://globalnews.ca...es-study-finds/ I think it stems from the fact that bullies tend to want to be seen as bullies. If nobody knows how mean you are, nobody flinches away from you.

If the only two issues you want to discuss is the Roxy and the TC, ya, we'd rather you just stay off.

Really? REALLY? If the quality of the discussion matters not to you, why are you wasting your own time being a mod?

"Hmmm" - don't listen too closely to VHF. I, for one, welcome even one-subject posters, and you've got two that we know about.

• Rob Randall and Jill like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

There is very little "quality" to the last dozen posts here, that's what I mean. It's just been wasting my time.

#149 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

I think Hmm brought up something that deserves attention: that a three word post about a complex news event like a corporate financial restructuring can be misleading to a casual reader.

• Jacques Cadé and Jill like this

#150 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

Yep. I think VHF should have been more detailed there for sure.

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

44 posts later I think we have lots of detail though.

#152 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

VV needs more people posting, not fewer. (IMHO)

• Jacques Cadé, Jill and jonny like this

#153 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

There is very little "quality" to the last dozen posts here, that's what I mean. It's just been wasting my time.

There are many posts that have "very little quality", and what we need is a "Don't Like This" button to sort that stuff out.

#154 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

I can think of one heavy user in particular who I've had to set to use the ignore feature on due to extremely low quality/annoying posts. It made the forum much more pleasant experience. Highly recommended. 

• jonny likes this

#155 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

I like to believe that I have the life experience to effectively parse forum posts that are ultimately irrelevant, and to do so without the need to "ignore" anybody.

Regardless, back to topic ... Blue Bridge hasn't paid a cent to the majority of their creditors yet, and it remains to be seen if they will be able to do so in the time given them to complete the return of the now reduced monies owing.

Despite the few protestations to the contrary - this last few pages of this thread do make the Blue Bridge bankruptcy process to date crystal clear.

#156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:03 PM

Cassidy, by which date are creditors expecting payment?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#157 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

The terms accepted by the creditors speak to a three year plan to retire all of the (now reduced) monies owing.

Blue Bridge has stated that it will be paying the reduced debts off sooner than three years though ... but those types of comments are incredibly easy to make - and much more difficult to realize for a company as deep in debt as Blue Bridge is.

25 cents on the dollar is still a lot of money if your overhead continues to exceed your income throughout the year ... but I hope B.B. manages to adjust to the reality of their situation, and doesn't just turn around and dive back into the same hole they just got out of.

Blue Bridge have to adjust their artistic and business goals to more closely match up to the reality of the artistic direction they've chosen, and the business reality that they put themselves into.

Edited by Cassidy, 27 February 2017 - 02:25 PM.

#158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Got it. Thanks, Cassidy.

Know it all.

#159 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 05:48 AM

In another thread didn’t a music group say we are perilously short of venues?

If so why is this one for sale?

Roxy Theatre on the market, as Blue Bridge aims to reduce debt

Blue Bridge Theatre Society has put the Roxy Theatre — home to Blue Bridge Repertory Theatre since 2013 — up for sale. The 225-seat building at 2657 Quadra St. is listed with Colliers Canada for $1.49 million.

https://www.timescol...ce-debt-4770306

It has been a topsy-turvy run for Blue Bridge at its current location, which the company purchased for $965,000 from businessman Michael Sharpe in 2013. Blue Bridge found itself on the verge of collapse in 2015, owing $160,000 to 68 unsecured creditors. An agreed-upon percentage of that debt was paid off by 2018.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2021 - 05:51 AM.

#160 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:38 AM

Any party paying $1.5 million for the Roxy will very likely be tearing the actual building down forthwith.

In reality it's not a theater, rather it's a repurposed, ramshackle Quonset hut with a tarpaper shack stuck onto the back of it.

Like any pig, it's had a bit of lipstick stuck on it over the years ... but at heart it's still the same weird smelling dump that showed "racy" adult films all those years ago.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users