DISTRIKT | Victoria | 919 Douglas St.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

But Upstairs has been Upstairs for years and they are easily the best and most successful club in Victoria.

The young 'uns love Sticky Wicket, Darcy's and Big Bad John's and those places don't change names annually.

Those other examples aren't fair. Of all the Strathcona's holdings, their prime spot for the 19-25 crowd is the downstairs lounge and those kids like a fresh brand. BBJ's, the Wicket and the others can age gracefully and will be there when the kids "graduate" to them.

I haven't been to the Upstairs Lounge since it was Harpo's.

Edited by Holden West, 21 August 2014 - 08:18 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

But Upstairs has been Upstairs for years and they are easily the best and most successful club in Victoria.

How so?  Hard to be all that profitable when you are only open 8 or 12 hours a week (10-2 Th-Sa, and not always Thursday).  And you still have to pay the rent and insurance, liquor license etc.   Sticky Wicket is open 105 hours a week, and they own the building.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

I don't consider Sticky Wicket a night club, I consider it a bar.

As far as me considering it to be the best, well I used to go out quite a bit and if you wanted to go to a club that was consistently busy and wasn't full of underage idiots or creepy, sweaty old folks you'd go to Uppy.

In the overall bar market, Sticky Wicket is definitely the kind. It's the biggest and consistently busy. I'm sure their revenue numbers are quite enviable.

Edited by jonny, 21 August 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Well since I have lived in Vic Upstairs has been Harpos, The Planet? (I think), then something else i do not recall, then Upstairs. There may have even been one more in there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Evolution -> Rehab -> Duke.

What was it called before it was Evolution? And what about the club that used to be beside Monty's? Didn't it go through several name changes?

The only that I think has stuck around the longest is Sugar.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

One beside Montys was at least the Blues House and Heaven I forget the third name before it closed. Before evolution it was scandals though in a different locale.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Ha! Anyone remember the Boom Boom Room? The place gave the Carlton in Esquimalt a serious run for its money :)

• jonny and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

And what about the club that used to be beside Monty's? Didn't it go through several name changes?

The only that I think has stuck around the longest is Sugar.

The original club beside Monty's was Julies. Monty's originally has a jaunty airman theme before it evolved into a sleazy strip bar/drug store. Prior clubs in that hotel back 30 years ago or so were Decadance disco and a country western club.

Sugar's previous well-known incarnation was New York New York. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

FIRST LOOK, VV was granted early access today:

1aa45.jpg

DISTRIKT Nightlub opens in downtown Victoria TONIGHT. No cover charge this weekend, (Fri/Sat/Sun) and $3 drink specials.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Too hard to keep up these days; I think the last "nightclub" I patronized in Victoria was likely Sweetwater's circa 1993 and we were pushing it even then from an age standpoint (I would have been 32). Even now when I drive down Yates Street and see the building I think "New York, New York" and it hasn't been called that in probably close to 25 years, lol.

um...when did Harpo's stop being "Harpo's" and why would they change that iconic name?

#31 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

. Prior clubs in that hotel back 30 years ago or so were Decadance disco and a country western club.

Sugar's previous well-known incarnation was New York New York. 

The Montys Location in the late 70s early 80s was called  The Buckin Bronc  a western bar later it became know as The Hook Line and Sinker

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:24 PM

Not quite the start to the party most were expecting.

post-3-0-80044700-1453430559.jpg

Know it all.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

EXTENDED rescue video.

You know, and awful lot of luck occurred here.  Somehow he missed all traffic on Douglas, missed any pedestrians, missed a tree, hit the hotel probably at the safest place the hotel owners could ever ask for, and it happened when nobody was really working yet in the club.  Finally, he missed the steel centre stair handrail, but it did manage to stop before he went right down the stairs.  That would have been a lot trickier extraction if he went all the way down.

I'm thinking if he had hit a bit right, or a bit left, he could have done some major damage to that old hotel.  10 feet left and he would have driven right into the ClubHouse.

• Rob Randall likes this

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

EXTENDED rescue video.

You know, and awful lot of luck occurred here.  Somehow he missed all traffic on Douglas, missed any pedestrians, missed a tree, hit the hotel probably at the safest place the hotel owners could ever ask for, and it happened when nobody was really working yet in the club.  Finally, he missed the steel centre stair handrail, but it did manage to stop before he went right down the stairs.  That would have been a lot trickier extraction if he went all the way down.

I'm thinking if he had hit a bit right, or a bit left, he could have done some major damage to that old hotel.  10 feet left and he would have driven right into the ClubHouse.

The car didn't stop at the stop sign on Courtney street, and a split second slower would have been t-boned on the drivers side by the transit bus going south on Douglas.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

We know now that it was some sort of a medical emergency, wasn't it?

Know it all.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Ya maybe. He was conciousd after the crash though. You can see him pushing off the airbag.

#37 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

We know now that it was some sort of a medical emergency, wasn't it?

The police suspected a medical condition (as per the T-C article) from the get-go. I believe it's normally off-limits for the police to disclose specific info about anyone's health to the general public, except for urgent situations such as a lost dementia patient. So, the dirty details about the fellow's condition immediately beforehand would have to come from elsewhere – and I rather doubt the driver or his friends and family would be very keen to share them at this time.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:45 PM

The police suspected a medical condition (as per the T-C article) from the get-go. I believe it's normally off-limits for the police to disclose specific info about anyone's health to the general public, except for urgent situations such as a lost dementia patient. So, the dirty details about the fellow's condition immediately beforehand would have to come from elsewhere – and I rather doubt the driver or his friends and family would be very keen to share them at this time.

If the person has. It been public ally indentified by name, it's probably OK.

Cops gotta give us some info.

#39 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:36 AM

Cops gotta give us some info.

They did already. They said a medical condition is suspected, and that alcohol wasn't involved

Does it really matter to the public exactly what that medical condition would be? Just asking.

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

Ya maybe. He was conciousd after the crash though. You can see him pushing off the airbag.

It might have been a simple error on the drivers part thinking he was on nearby Broughton Street going into the underground parking.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users