#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

hockey is $595/year (cheaper)
soccer (what is found) says $75/year which is way cheaper
lacrosse I believe is more expensive.

but theirs also swimming, baseball, tennis, etc. I'm just saying, most parents are going to choose to enroll their kids in the cheaper sports.

I don't think any of those sports are cheaper per hour played than golf at Uplands. Maye tennis if you play at public outdoor courts.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

I don't think any of those sports are cheaper per hour played than golf at Uplands. Maye tennis if you play at public outdoor courts.

Maybe not per hour, no. But I would be curious to see what the average wait time is for a tee time at golf courses in the region.

#23 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

I imagine most golfers pay fair rent on the land they use. Whether they pay fair taxes or not is a good question. For private clubs, I suppose its really up to the local muni to determine if the lost tax revenue they could generate if the land was developed is worth having the golf course.

For public, I guess its not how I'd vote for land to be used. I'd just as soon Cedar Hill was a park rather than a golf course. But its pretty low on my list of gripes. I'd far rather there was more medium-high density housing around village centres and those don't happen by opening up more development land.

#24 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

. I used to play golf at a course in the interior and in the summer you had to book your tee times a week in advance.

You started off the thread saying you weren't a golfer then you state that you used to play....

I can only assume you sucked so bad you had to give it up, hence your dislike of golf courses.

Ask the thousands of people in the CRD who do golf, the hundreds of people employed by golf courses, and the municipalities that get lots of revenue from them with no costs, how they feel.

What a silly thread and idea.

Bear in mind that most of those urban golf courses were suburban when they were built, the city grew up around them. Lots of people like living beside golf courses and the houses command a premium price.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

You started off the thread saying you weren't a golfer then you state that you used to play....

I can only assume you sucked so bad you had to give it up, hence your dislike of golf courses.

LJ - can you keep the posts respectful? Thanks.
"I know nothing"

#26 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

I imagine most golfers pay fair rent on the land they use. Whether they pay fair taxes or not is a good question.

Presumably they do. Golf courses don't cost much for a municipality to service.

#27 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

Ask the thousands of people in the CRD who do golf, the hundreds of people employed by golf courses, and the municipalities that get lots of revenue from them with no costs, how they feel.

What a silly thread and idea.

Bear in mind that most of those urban golf courses were suburban when they were built, the city grew up around them. Lots of people like living beside golf courses and the houses command a premium price.

Not really sure how my golf skill level relates to anything, but for the record, I gave it up because I simply didn't enjoy it that much.

Now, onto the other points, where did I ever say I don't like golf courses? I think they're wasteful, yes, but I think they have their place. I just don't think that place is in urban centers. Cities evolve and change and our land use needs to change with it.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

Not really sure how my golf skill level relates to anything, but for the record, I gave it up because I simply didn't enjoy it that much.

Now, onto the other points, where did I ever say I don't like golf courses? I think they're wasteful, yes, but I think they have their place. I just don't think that place is in urban centers. Cities evolve and change and our land use needs to change with it.

Sure, land use should evolve, but you can't simply force someone to shut down their golf course and move it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

Sure, land use should evolve, but you can't simply force someone to shut down their golf course and move it.

Not sure where I said that either?

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:16 AM

but I think they have their place. I just don't think that place is in urban centers. Cities evolve and change and our land use needs to change with it.

Not sure where I said that either?

As I read it, you were suggesting that part of the evolution of cities is that our land use has to change too. Since you were suggesting that the place for a golf course is not in the city it sounded like you supported moving them out and using that land differently.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#31 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

I'm sure the city of Victoria would do that if they had any golf courses...

#32 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

As I read it, you were suggesting that part of the evolution of cities is that our land use has to change too. Since you were suggesting that the place for a golf course is not in the city it sounded like you supported moving them out and using that land differently.

I do, not by force though. I support the public and developers becoming more aware of land use and the problems related to sprawl.

#33 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Be careful here. Take a look at Uplands rates for juniors, 10-20 years old, and even those for anyone up to 29 (Intermediate I and II):

http://www.uplandsgo...ership_fees.php

WOW! Is what you might be thinking. That's WAY cheaper than hockey or even soccer dues, and you need not buy expensive equipment to play golf. I'd say an enterprising young man/gal could likely outfit him/herself with all the gear for free, with handouts from friends and family. Everyone seems to have an old set of clubs in their garage.

And you could say that golf, arguably more than any team sport, teaches well, etiquette, better.

And beyond 29, it's a cool $18k initiation - that certainly qualifies as 'the elite few'....
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

And beyond 29, it's a cool $18k initiation - that certainly qualifies as 'the elite few'....

By 29, many people own a home. And many 29-year olds have a car payment that's over $18,000 total. $18,000 financed is not very much.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

By 29, many people own a home. And many 29-year olds have a car payment that's over $18,000 total. $18,000 financed is not very much.

But when you consider how people are already maxing out their budgets with a home and car payment, 18k to play golf ain't cheap.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

But when you consider how people are already maxing out their budgets with a home and car payment, 18k to play golf ain't cheap.

29 to 69 is 40 years. 40 years / $18,000 = is $37.50 a month in addition to your monthly fees. Buy a home that's worth $18,000 less than you might normally. There you go.

#37 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

I'm sure the last thing people who are buying a cheaper home worry about is using the extra money for a golf membership. The people who have these memberships are the ones with a lot of disposable income, not people who spent $18,000 less on a house to get one. You're also not factoring the other costs again, which more then doubles your monthly amount.

edit: not sure if you meant monthly fee's as in your own personal fee's or the additional fee's at the course.

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

$18k is pretty reasonable, other courses are much more. Either way it is not a very "elite" amount of money. You can usually make payments over a few years or many, Colwood for example adds $100 a month to your dues until your initiation is paid.

But you don't have to join a club, you can go play for daily fees if you wish.

#39 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

hockey is $595/year (cheaper)
soccer (what is found) says $75/year which is way cheaper
lacrosse I believe is more expensive.

but theirs also swimming, baseball, tennis, etc. I'm just saying, most parents are going to choose to enroll their kids in the cheaper sports. .

And all those facilities are paid for by my taxes, golf courses are not.

If you want to encourage more development and higher density then start closing all those money losers and put up housing there.

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

City of Victoria does have a free golf course in Beacon Hill Park.

I have said it before but i would love to see one of the playing fields at Topaz converted back to a more natural piece of park. There is hardly ever anyone using them and while they are at it they should close Topaz and connect the Sj Willis grounds to make it a really big park.

Also I don't think it is free to use the fields at Topaz for team play which is what fees are for. Also while it may be just 75 bucks to register for soccer it costs WAYYYYYYYY more if the team actually plays any games. Team unis ferry trips bus trips tournament fees. Couple of thousand a year easy maybe more.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users