Urban Golf Courses

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#61 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

^The guy on CBC admitted it was shorter than a standard par 72.

Could condos be built that are relatively safe from errant drives?

How much money could they raise from something like that?

A couple million but that would only cover a few years losses. Maybe if were apartments it would be a continuing revenue stream.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Is the course maintained by Saanich municipal workers? Are they unionized? What is cost of maintenance staff here versus Cordova Bay?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#63 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

^In response to the privatization question, the guy on the radio said the golf pro was not a Saanich employee so a key function is already privatized. So G-Man, you may have put your finger on the revenue/expenditure problem. Replace the union workers with a gang of contracted students and your problem is instantly solved. But you know how popular that decision would be!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#64 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

Gorge Vale was successful in selling land and using that money to upgrade the course.

I think that the union wage and benefit issue (especially as it applies to the food and liquor) portion of the operation could be a significant obstacle.

It is impossible to determine the wage structure at the golf course from the municipal annual report.

#65 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

I am not saying at all that is what should happen however there was a comment as to why Cordova could be that much better when fees were not comparably high and I think that it must come back to wages. Same reason we no longer have a baseball team in Victoria.

It has a whole new look!

#66 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

The biggest problem with developing housing next to the golf course is Len Barrie will move in and chop your trees down.

#67 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Could condos be built that are relatively safe from errant drives?

There already are townhouses on the edge of the course at the north end. The residents complained about the errant balls, and now their view is of the tall safety netting.

Leave it as it is or as a park. It was once a farm so return to to the ALR.

#68 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

Leave it as it is or as a park.

None of Saanich's other parks bring in significant revenue so I suppose we shouldn't get too wound up over Cedar Hill.

Although I bet the towers atop Mt. Doug bring in lots of cash.

#69 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

^ I get what your saying. Turn Cedar Hill into a wind energy farm!

It has a whole new look!

#70 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

A public meeting regarding the 2012 operations deficit for the Cedar Hill Golf Course had a good turnout Monday night.

Director of Saanich Parks and Recreation Doug Henderson says what he heard from the public was that they don't want to see significant change.

Henderson will be speaking with CFAX 1070's Al Ferraby at 8:20 Tuesday morning.

http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155

#71 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

Director of Saanich Parks and Recreation Doug Henderson says what he heard from the public was that they don't want to see significant change.

Oh, the good ol' public. Why would they want change? A round of golf is a bargain, the portions in the clubhouse are huge and the lefties (I don't mean golf swing) are chuffed because their waitress is making "a living wage" (of $25/hr).

As a Victoria resident, I suggest that they pursue a gold plated solution. In fact, I plan to be very vocal in them pursuing the most expensive option they can - even though I don't golf or live in Saanich!! I say, let's rip the thing down and erect a brand new golf course! I've seen the brown spots on the fairway and man, once you've got brown spots, there's no repairing that! Oh, and let's get Jack Nicklaus to design it and let's make sure that it's one-of-a-kind. Surely, it will draw tourists to the region. Maybe Saanich can even ask other municipalities to chip in or divert some gas tax money to it! I can't believe what a great idea this is!!!!!!

#72 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

^ I get what your saying. Turn Cedar Hill into a wind energy farm!

Windmills? Are you proposing the world's largest miniature golf course?

Doug Henderson says what he heard from the public was that they don't want to see significant change.

That's the headline for every community meeting on any subject that's ever been held.

C-FAX's Murray Langdon comments:

I’m not sure if Saanich is contemplating the sale of the golf course, but that might have to be an option. There may be some support for the course, but the vast majority might not want to continue to subsidize it forever. Again, it’s a question: Should municipalities be in the business of being in business?

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Doug Henderson says what he heard from the public was that they don't want to see significant change.
That's the headline for every community meeting on any subject that's ever been held...

OMG that is SO true! :P

#74 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

if a $10 saving in fees is all that is between you and playing 10km further away and at a much better golf course - you're going to drive the extra distance if you're a serious golfer in the 27-50 age bracket.

You can play Cedar Hill for $35 year round, Cordova Bay is $69 fall/spring $89 summer.

Cedar hill is more a course for beginners and seniors, serious golfers would indeed pay the more expensive rates for a regulation course.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#75 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

The founder of this thread obviously doesn't understand the word "urban", because if he did, he would know there are no urban golf courses in Victoria. In fact Victoria has no golf courses at all, the only courses near Victoria are suburban and rural.
In chains by Keynes

#76 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Good point. The character of the community changes drastically in those few inches between the city's northern border and the golf course property.

#77 Scott

Scott
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

For those asking in earlier posts, Victoria GC is building a new Maintenance building, staff building and snack bar (as well as renovating some existing bunkers).
For those suggesting putting condos, I think that would be a short term fix. CH is important for the game and growing it in our community. It is the one sport you can play for the majority of your life and walking 5k to play is extremely healthy for our aging population.
I would suggest that you need to create better learning facilities (rebuild a range and creting a short game area). With Cedar Hill's location that should have 4-5 (or more) golf instructors teaching full time to help grow the sport. The current range is not attractive for the student nor attracting decent instructors. In reviewing the site via google maps it can be done by relocating the ball fields and possible rerouting the course in one or two spots.
Saanich should really review the site and make one structure for the Tennis, Fitness and Golf.

#78 VictoriaExplorer

VictoriaExplorer
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

You can play Cedar Hill for $35 year round, Cordova Bay is $69 fall/spring $89 summer.

Cedar hill is more a course for beginners and seniors, serious golfers would indeed pay the more expensive rates for a regulation course.

I wouldn't consider myself a beginner nor senior, and I still play Cedar Hill sometimes. You obviously can't beat $35 for a round.

The problem for Cedar Hill a few years ago was the extraordinary wait times because no reservations were allowed. I remember going on a weekend morning, putting our names down for a foursome, then going to what is now Brannigans (used to be O'Donells I think?) for breakfast and coming back and still waiting. And when you did finally get on the course, your round took 5+ hours. But the course was always packed.

I'm not sure why, or if it is solely due to the fact that you can make reservations now, but last summer I was pretty much able to walk onto the course at almost any time of the day for a round, and was done in under 4 hours a few times.

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'd have to think a residential development smack in the middle of that course would be worth something. Is it feasible to sell off a portion of the golf course property?

The chip trail around the course is a favourite walk/run for many, and it needs to be retained intact with a buffer from the golf course.

Cedar Hill was once a nine hole course, and perhaps it could return to that size, given the competition from all the superior eighteen hole courses. Nine holes might better fit into many golfers busy schedule, as well as encourage the novices to come out.

Going to nine holes in the area north of the clubhouse would allow the southern slope to be developed for residential.

As for the restaurant, why not let a private owner take it over. It is hard to believe that a restuarant would fail in that location if managed properly.

#80 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

As for the restaurant, why not let a private owner take it over. It is hard to believe that a restuarant would fail in that location if managed properly.

The waitress making the "living wage" of $25+/hr is probably a good start in assuaging your disbelief.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users