Photo

Pig BBQ Joint | Victoria: The Atrium Building | CLOSED in 2017

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Premium

Premium
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

Has anyone eaten here? They have a location in Colwood( I think) and a take out on View. Is it the real deal as far as BBQ goes or is it a clone of Smoken Bones? Thanks!

http://pigbbqjoint.com/

#2 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

Pig makes one of the best pulled pork sandwiches I've had (nearly as good as the ones I bought at a roadside shack in Arkansas back in the early '90s). It's beef brisket is also wonderful. It's real BBQ, and done with love and care.

Was not impressed with Smoken Bones.

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

Its reputation certainly precedes it; our organization is moving into the Atrium building in September and one the main topics of conversation is the fact that Pig is moving in as a tenant too. Its very difficult to get a "real" authentic beef brisket sandwich in this town so I am looking forward to the experience.

#4 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:59 PM

I eat there on a regular basis and it's the real deal. Pork is roasted 12 hours; brisket even longer. Just low and slow meat served on a white bun. The Colwood location has more menu items than downtown. Their cornbread is really good too.

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Ditto the Colwood location. Everything served on trays (literally on trays) and water from a mason jar and picnic tables inside. The food is pretty stellar, and I enjoy it much more than Smoken Bones, which I also like. The last time we had the fried chicken it was cool in the middle. I can only assume that it was pre-cooked to allow for faster firing time (fair enough), and was not reheated quite enough. Personally, I think they should embrace it and start offering cold fried chicken!

Oh, and it's cheap.My family of four can eat like kings for $40 and have lunch for the next day.

A friend of mine took a position at the new Zambri's in the Atrium and had the 'hard hat' tour yesterday. That building and it's food service tenants are going to be a juggernaut on the Victoria foods scene.

Matt.

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

Oh, and it's cheap.My family of four can eat like kings for $40 and have lunch for the next day.

Matt.

I tried Smoken Bones a little bit ago, ordered the BBQ Taster for $38.

First off the pork ribs(6) were tough and not very meaty, the beef ribs(2)
were not very meaty and everything including the brisket and the pulled pork were slathered with BBQ sauce. This had the effect of making everything taste the same, which wasn't particularly good. There was enough for two of us but only because neither of us liked it very much.
I won't go back there - maybe I will try Pig and see what they offer.

Is ordering it without the BBQ sauce sacrilegious? I recall going to a BBQ joint in Vancouver on Broadway and they didn't put sauce on the pulled pork.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Pig has hotdogs now I hear. The guys in the office have been all over them for the last few days.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

When Pig moves into the new Atrium space (hello!) they will keep the Colwood location and the View St. location will be turning into a hotdog place.

And why not?

I have much respect for Ken Hueston at Smoken Bones.

Matt.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

Pig opens in The Atrium at 11am today. Is the View St. location changing names?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

Good question.

I hear that the Atrium location is licensed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

View St. Location changing to a hot-dog place. I hope they call it BBQ DOG or PIG DOGS or something
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Just had a pulled pork sandwich. Great eats. Nothing in terms of quality has changed, which is good.

The atmosphere is great -- simple, yet refined. Obviously the team has learned a lot from operating the Colwood location for some time so the switch from the tiny closet of a space on View to a much larger eat-in operation appears to have gone smoothly.

Lots of people from different walks of life were dining there when I popped in at around 7:30.

I also noticed that they will be open as late as 10PM, 7 days a week. This may change as the operators gauge activity throughout the winter months.

Know it all.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

Yeah I went in around 12 today and had a great lunch, had the "bacon explosion" (and it's currently producing some after-explosions) and it was well worth it. Pretty good value at this place and damn tastey food. If you like simple meaty items, PIG is great.

My wife got the BBQ spaghetti, which is just pasta mixed with a huge (like over half the mass) amount of pulled pork and their sauce. They don't skimp on the meat.

I think their coleslaw has improved as well.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

What's Pig's policy on coleslaw in the pulled pork sandwiches? Sometimes you order the sandwich and it comes with coleslaw, other times it doesn't.

Know it all.

#15 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

I thought it was always a $1,50 extra

#16 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

You can get a side of slaw for $1.50, but Mike's talking about what's actually on the sandwich.

#17 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

10pm!?!?? 7 days a week!?!

Don't they know that Victoria goes to sleep at 9? Especially anything casual east of Douglas on a weekday.
Hope it catches on and others follow.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

I just came back from downtown. Lots of people were out and about.

7-days might be a stretch but hopefully they can nail down clientele to stay open most nights until 10PM.

Know it all.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

Pig will be teaming up with Zambri's restaurant to open a food business in the space currently occupied by a laundromat in Cook Street Village.

Know it all.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

Pig is looking to shed its West Shore location.

12226858_10153681599760505_258504883_n.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users