Pig BBQ Joint | Victoria: The Atrium Building | CLOSED in 2017

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

$75k take-home at the end of the day is not a bad gig. I wonder why they're selling? It was only a two years ago they were in expansion mode with both Pig and Big Wheel Burgers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

It's only 110 meals served per day.  I dunno.  It can be hell to find labour for small places.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

Now you can buy

$75k take-home at the end of the day is not a bad gig. I wonder why they're selling? It was only a two years ago they were in expansion mode with both Pig and Big Wheel Burgers.

Now you can buy the last one for $399,000

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8W3S2

You can't build this kind of success story at this price with these profits. Skip the hard part and jump to the end where you work one hour per week and bank real money with food that everyone already loves. 

This guy must have been selling used cars before he got into real estate.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

^ Steve Da Cruz is a seasoned restaurant industry veteran from New York to Vancouver.  He owned a few nice spots in Vancouver, managed a bunch more.  He knows what up with the F&B industry.

Matt.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

This guy must have been selling used cars before he got into real estate.

Yikes. It's hard to take his claims seriously when you read the harsh criticism diners are leaving behind. Whatever has changed at Pig, it's not good.

Are they planning to be at Brewery and the Beast?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Pig has always been a bit hyped up, hasn't it?  Trays with parchment paper and water in mason jars and all that? 

I don't doubt for a moment that it's successful and lucrative, for a restaurant at least.  Figure with a selling point of $400,000 it probably nets in the $150k range on sales of $1.5m maybe?  Either that or it's over priced.

The rest of it's just one salesman's opinion. :)

Matt.

ETA: I'd like to think that Pig grosses more than $1.5m, but the selling price indicates net profits in the $125,000 range which means a poor margin on pork.  I wonder.

Edited by Matt R., 19 September 2016 - 09:12 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:18 PM

Pig has always been a bit hyped up, hasn't it?  Trays with parchment paper and water in mason jars and all that? 

Matt.

I've never understood the hype over pulled pork. Give me 4 slices of double smoked crispy bacon anytime.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:32 PM

I don't doubt for a moment that it's successful and lucrative, for a restaurant at least. Figure with a selling point of $400,000 it probably nets in the $150k range on sales of $1.5m maybe? Either that or it's over priced.

I think if you were around and saw how slow its become, or read the most recent reviews, you'd see it's no longer the place it once was.

First they closed their second location, then their food truck started appearing less and less at events, and now the flagship location is for sale.

The sale price indicates it has an annual profit of around $80k, not $150k. You value a business at five years profit, sometimes as high as 10, but that would equate to $40k-$80k and not $150k, but I suspect the annual take home is closer to $50k than $80k, as you want a listing with some room for negotiation.

I'd be surprised to see it sell for over $250k. It's likely draining funds fast and has a lease with one option for renewal. You can't take that to the bank if you expect about a decade to pay off the initial investment and turn a meaningful profit when working one hour a week, as our salesman says is the case.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#29 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:00 PM

Restaurants are often valued at 3 year profit.

The rest of that is just sad.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 19 September 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

Yup, I think you're right on the 3 year appraisal for a restaurant. I guess there's just that much more risk involved.

It's crazy, Pig was once-upon-a-time doing so well, and then, suddenly, something changed and regulars noticed their piglicious fix just wasn't cutting it any more.

And we've still got a healthy market for BBQ food. Consider that Jones is now open and attracting a lot of clientele, as is Hanks on Douglas Street.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#31 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

I stand by my numbers, based on asking price anyways. It's just a guess based on what I think the discretionary income might be.

Things may have gone down hill, the market could have more competitors now than ever, but there's no reason why this wouldn't be a tidy little business for a good operator. Location is sound, reputation can be rebuilt although the listing doesn't mention an asset sale. Wonder if the name and brand are included in the price?

Matt.

#32 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:35 PM

Also, no bank would lend an applicant $400,000 to buy a restaurant unless the applicant had about the same amount to put up as collateral.

Matt.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:11 AM

I say turn it into a McDonalds.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

I say turn it into a McDonalds.

I agree, a high end McDonalds with white table cloths, silverware, and servers at your table.

#35 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

I don't doubt for a moment that it's successful and lucrative, for a restaurant at least.  Figure with a selling point of $400,000 it probably nets in the $150k range on sales of $1.5m maybe?  Either that or it's over priced.

Matt.

ETA: I'd like to think that Pig grosses more than $1.5m, but the selling price indicates net profits in the $125,000 range which means a poor margin on pork.  I wonder.

I think you are right. Sales are probably around 1.5M. That would make an appropriate cap rate. 

• Matt R. likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#36 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

^ Steve Da Cruz is a seasoned restaurant industry veteran from New York to Vancouver.  He owned a few nice spots in Vancouver, managed a bunch more.  He knows what up with the F&B industry.

Matt.

Although he is a seasoned veteran, I think he is doing a huge disservice to PIG by not having professional photos. We all know it is an AMAZING space in an UNREAL building. 

• Matt R. likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

Although he is a seasoned veteran, I think he is doing a huge disservice to PIG by not having professional photos. We all know it is an AMAZING space in an UNREAL building. 

I agree.  Maybe they are coming.

• Matt R. likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with the $1.5 million annual income theory.

I'm order number 63 for the day, and nobody has ordered since I arrived (I'm in the restaurant as I write this). My order cost $6, taxes in, as the pulled pork is discounted come 3PM. The server said they typically see 150 orders in a day, sometimes 200.

Anyways, to bring in $1.5 million a year they'd need to be selling around 400 sandwiches a day, plus extras, which seems incredibly high. If my order is any indication for 5PM on a weekday, the won't end the day above 100, max. Even at $20 per order that'd be only $2,000 gross for the day.

Know it all.

#39 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with the $1.5 million annual income theory.

I'm order number 63 for the day, and nobody has ordered since I arrived (I'm in the restaurant as I write this). My order cost $6, taxes in, as the pulled pork is discounted come 3PM. The server said they typically see 150 orders in a day, sometimes 200.

Anyways, to bring in $1.5 million a year they'd need to be selling around 400 sandwiches a day, plus extras, which seems incredibly high. If my order is any indication for 5PM on a weekday, the won't end the day above 100, max. Even at $20 per order that'd be only $2,000 gross for the day.

Best before 3PM?

#40 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:09 PM

Because they figure some sucker will pay $400k for a small restaurant.

What is the $400k for? I certainly hope it's not for their recipes. I have smoked better meat than anything I have ever had at Pig using randomly googled recipes.

One of my life dreams is to open a BBQ joint. If I spent nearly half a million dollars to do so, it would be one hell of a place, let me tell you.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users