Photo

Are developers supporting electric vehicles?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

Are any of the new (large) developments providing receptacles for charging electric vehicles? I was pondering getting an electric scooter for use around town, but the building I live in has no way for me to charge it.

If electric scooters and cars become more common, how will they be supported by developers? How do you meter the electricity drawn for charging, and bill the proper tenant? How can older buildings be retrofitted?

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:57 AM

Retrofitting an existing building would be a decision made by the strata, I think.

I'm not sure about new buildings coming online with charging stations, however.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

That's a good point about the charging. Hmm...I just came up with an idea. You park you electric vehicle in the space and a scanner permanently mounted on the wall automatically reads a bar code on your license plate. Or you could just swipe a card--better if you owned multiple vehicles. It would be just like buying gas with Interac.

Some developers are including lease of a Smart Car as part of the ammenity package for tenants. This also enables the developer to squeeze in an extra space since the car is so small.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

I'm sure this has been solved everywhere but in BC. Most parking spots in Canada have a plug for the block heater....

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

Do electric vehicles use standard voltage?

#6 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

I'm sure this has been solved everywhere but in BC. Most parking spots in Canada have a plug for the block heater....

Good point! I'm assuming that in that case electricity is an unmetered amenity. I'd guess that charging a car would draw much more power. Do cars / scooters have normal 3-prong plugs, or some sort of special plug? If somewhere provides block-heater power, does that mean someone with an electric car drives for free?

(Sorry, more questions than answers! Just something I've been thinking about lately).

#7 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

Just for info, the GWEV site says that charging a scooter costs $0.25.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

Maybe that's a benefit ALL tenants should pay for. After all, who wouldn't prefer a parking garage that's not filled with stinky fumes and carbon monoxide?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Boy, this is an old thread.

I happenned to stop at Thifty's Quadra and Cook this morning and noticed the Electric Vehicle Charging station. The service appears to be free. It uses a standard 120 volt duplex receptacle so I am not sure if this is meant for cars, scooters, or both.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

This must be one of the very few such charging stations in the CRD. I've never heard or seen of one before.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

They have these plugs all over Edmonton. They're called engine block heater receptacles :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

Bosa'a Encore will have stalls available with a charging station ... I didn't ask if there will be an extra monthly fee associated with it or how they allocate the cost of the electricity back to you, but will next time I pop in there.

My Daughter owns a Smart EV and am very impressed with it and am looking at making the switch myself towards a Leaf.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

My friends live in an old apartment building and have an electric truck. Their parking spot is fairly near their balcony so the landlord just let them run a big extension cord out the door and down to their parking spot!

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:46 AM

Darker side of the electric car bonanza

While much of the developed world heads enthusiastically toward vehicles that pollute less, the celebration isn't universal. The Democratic Republic of Congo supplies two-thirds of world's cobalt, essential for EV batteries. This Central African nation chronically suffers from "natural resource curse": while "blessed" with richness in minerals, it remains among the poorest nations in the world.

In the absence of formal employment, hundreds of thousands of Congolese turn to mining. UNICEF estimates there are more than 40,000 children working in mines on jobs such as underground digging, transportation of heavy loads or washing mined cobalt in rivers.

Many adult and children workers have no modern machinery or even basic protective clothing, and the health consequences can be catastrophic. Cobalt even has disease named after it – cobalt lungs, a form of pneumonia caused by overexposure to cobalt dust that leads to permanent incapacity and in many cases, death.

Years of mining have also taken their toll on Congolese environment. Untreated waste and toxic substances pollute areas near the mines, exacerbating health problems of the locals. In addition, worrying radioactivity levels were reported in some of the mines, as southern Congo has vast deposits of not only cobalt and copper, but also uranium. In November 2018, Glencore, one of the world's leading cobalt producers, temporarily suspended sales of cobalt from its Kamoto mine due to radioactivity detected in supplies.

http://theconversati...-failure-111783

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2019 - 04:46 AM.

#15 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

Darker side of the electric car bonanza

While much of the developed world heads enthusiastically toward vehicles that pollute less, the celebration isn't universal. The Democratic Republic of Congo supplies two-thirds of world's cobalt, essential for EV batteries. This Central African nation chronically suffers from "natural resource curse": while "blessed" with richness in minerals, it remains among the poorest nations in the world.

In the absence of formal employment, hundreds of thousands of Congolese turn to mining. UNICEF estimates there are more than 40,000 children working in mines on jobs such as underground digging, transportation of heavy loads or washing mined cobalt in rivers.

Many adult and children workers have no modern machinery or even basic protective clothing, and the health consequences can be catastrophic. Cobalt even has disease named after it – cobalt lungs, a form of pneumonia caused by overexposure to cobalt dust that leads to permanent incapacity and in many cases, death.

Years of mining have also taken their toll on Congolese environment. Untreated waste and toxic substances pollute areas near the mines, exacerbating health problems of the locals. In addition, worrying radioactivity levels were reported in some of the mines, as southern Congo has vast deposits of not only cobalt and copper, but also uranium. In November 2018, Glencore, one of the world's leading cobalt producers, temporarily suspended sales of cobalt from its Kamoto mine due to radioactivity detected in supplies.

http://theconversati...-failure-111783

Time for Ontario to step up!

https://en.wikipedia...Cobalt,_Ontario

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

Victoria has finally caught up! Council today adopted bylaws requiring the provision of EV charging in all new development. 100% of residential parking spaces and 5% of all other spaces.

The staff report and copies of the bylaws are online: https://pub-victoria...English&Item=17
  • GetLisaSomeHelps likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users