Photo

Maritime Museum of BC

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#281 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

Ideally, there should be something honouring both Captains & Cap'ns, like Kangaroo and Crunch.

• todd likes this

#282 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:38 PM

Ideally, there should be something honouring both Captains & Cap'ns, like Kangaroo and Crunch.

This is why it’s a nuisance for us to have to clean up your “off topic” stamps when you don’t like conversations veering off topic.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:47 PM

But I am not off topic. I think my suggestions would be quite reasonable additions to a maritime museum. Perhaps under the category of mariners in popular culture.

#284 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

Don’t make me get out my flashing off topic stamp because It might take me a little while to figure out how to post it again.

#285 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

Life in plastic it’s fantastic https://youtu.be/ZyhrYis509A

#286 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

We’re going to be hearing some news regarding the museum very soon.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:43 PM

MARITIME MUSEUM OF BC MOVES FORWARD WITH NEXT
PHASE OF THE PACIFIC MARITIME CENTRE

On February 25, 2020, the City of Langford and the Maritime Museum of BC entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for the proposed construction of the Pacific Maritime Centre (PMC) that includes a new state-of-the-art Maritime Museum, office tower and conference centre that will be located at 790 McCallum Road.

The Maritime Museum of British Columbia is pleased to announce that Coldwell Banker Commercial Oceanside Real Estate has been hired to represent the Museum's interests in identifying tenants for the office tower within the PMC. The proposed leasing project consists of up to 90,000 sq. ft. of AAA office space that will consist of six 15,000 sq. ft. floor plates. The building is expected to provide a state-of-the-art air handling system, free onsite parking, and onsite daycare services.

The Mayor of Langford, Stew Young, stated that, "this project will create several new iconic attractions for the City and region, aligns with Council’s commitment to enhance arts and cultural opportunities in Langford, and supports Council’s vision to create more commercial office space so residents don’t have to commute outside the City for work. We are really excited about this project and look forward to moving forward with next steps.”

The overall project is on its way to becoming 'shovel-ready' and is expected to generate hundreds of short-term construction jobs and several new full and part-time jobs in the community. The proposed 80,000 sq. ft. Maritime Museum will house the entire artefact collection as well as a state-of-the-art immersive planetarium theatre and observational lighthouse designed sky-deck.

John Clarkson, Chairperson of the Maritime Museum of BC stated that, "this is a major step forward for the overall project. The Museum is looking for long-term lessees’ such as federal and provincial departments, crown corporations, educational institutions, NGO's or private professional corporations. The commercial realtor company is responsible for serving as the intermediary between the MMBC and perspective tenants."

Chris Troke and John Morris, from Coldwell Banker Commercial Oceanside Real Estate, are honoured to be involved in helping the Maritime Museum of BC complete their vision and look forward to working with them on this ambitious project. In the coming weeks, they will be looking for expressions of interest from government, NGO's and the business community regarding leasing opportunities. Interested parties are encouraged to reach out for more information.

David Leverton, Executive Director of the Maritime Museum of BC highlighted that, "the office tower is a strategically important part of the overall Pacific Maritime Centre project, as it will enable the project to be more financially sustainable and independent.”

Know it all.

#288 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:58 PM

Although I support the concept that the Maritime Museum has to do something to get out of Nootka Court such that they can put their full collection on display, this McCallum Road location potentially represents dismal attendance numbers, with practically no tourists making the trip out to Costco to see something that would otherwise be a spur of the moment tourist visit as per when the Museum was located in Bastion Square.

Having said that, this is pretty typical of what's likely going to happen over the next five or so years, with Langford sweet-talking everybody from the Maritime Museum to entire Government Ministries out of the downtown core, and out into Langford/Colwood with its abundance of free parking, available land for development, and near total lack of the homeless and crime issues that surface every day in the COV.

Edited by Spy Black, 17 August 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#289 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:00 PM

If it's a solid museum, it'll work well for cruise ship bundles. Needs to be something that works for 3-4 hours and is open in the evenings when a lot of ships dock. Bundle with Craigdarroch or something like that.

Obviously, i'm optimistic that post-covid cruise ships sail back here.

#290 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:21 PM

I think there's currently a very limited amount of tourist traffic out that way, mostly (if not entirely) tourists who travel by car.

Currently, from a tourist perspective, all I can think of out that way as potential attractions might be Fort Rod Hill, Goldstream Park, and maybe Bear Mountain Resort for a round of golf? (I'm sure I'm missing something else?).

It's going to be a tough sell though, for what is essentially a very vertically focused museum.

But I guess along with lanforod's notes above about cruise ship/bus packages ... car tourism might be something that could develop over timel.

Personally, I think it will be a continuous struggle for the MM to get patrons out that far, but with revenues from office rentals, they'll likely be able to sustain themselves indefinitely, and perhaps develop more of an academic approach to maintaining a diverse library and fonds related to the maritime history of B.C.

#291 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:47 PM

If it's a solid museum, it'll work well for cruise ship bundles. Needs to be something that works for 3-4 hours and is open in the evenings when a lot of ships dock. Bundle with Craigdarroch or something like that.

Obviously, i'm optimistic that post-covid cruise ships sail back here.

I think there's currently a very limited amount of tourist traffic out that way, mostly (if not entirely) tourists who travel by car.

Currently, from a tourist perspective, all I can think of out that way as potential attractions might be Fort Rod Hill, Goldstream Park, and maybe Bear Mountain Resort for a round of golf? (I'm sure I'm missing something else?).

It's going to be a tough sell though, for what is essentially a very vertically focused museum.

But I guess along with lanforod's notes above about cruise ship/bus packages ... car tourism might be something that could develop over timel.

Personally, I think it will be a continuous struggle for the MM to get patrons out that far, but with revenues from office rentals, they'll likely be able to sustain themselves indefinitely, and perhaps develop more of an academic approach to maintaining a diverse library and fonds related to the maritime history of B.C.

Maritime Museum, Fort Rodd Hill, and Hatley Castle would be a decent bundle. Maybe throw in a Costco hot dog for good measure.

• lanforod and Spy Black like this

#292 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:07 PM

I doubt very much that the CoV wants anything to do with the Maritime Museum considering most of it's artifacts are colonial in nature. 

I am surprised that they chose McCallum given that Langford bought that chunk of waterfront along Finlayson a few months back with a plan to develop it for tourism.  That seems like a more logical fit.

• lanforod and Midnightly like this

#293 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:06 PM

I think Langford is actually playing the long game ... one that would see the "centre" of the region moved forcefully from downtown Victoria to Goldstream Avenue.

The Maritime Museum plays right into that logic.

IMO, Langford will succeed too - if not because the COV has essentially walked away from maintaining downtown as a tourist centre, but also has failed miserably at maintaining downtown as an accessible area for locals to visit for shopping and entertainment.

If Langford can develop a 2000 seat legitimate theatre, that would be the death knell for downtown Victoria as a focus destination ... the "dining and dancing" infrastructure would follow the birds to Langford, leaving downtown Victoria devoid of anything worth going downtown for on any given evening save a cheap movie or an expensive taco.

Edited by Spy Black, 17 August 2020 - 10:07 PM.

#294 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:32 AM

that’s a bit extreme. the downtown still has the water and the good pubs and restaurants. not sure Browns Langford can pull all that weight.

#295 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:35 AM

what’s the last show you all saw at the royal theatre?

not sure a 2000 seater is Langford’s ticket.

#296 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:11 AM

There’s going to be a restaurant atop the lookout tower. That’ll be cool.

But the biggest news from this release, I thought, was: “The Museum is looking for long-term lessees’ such as federal and provincial departments, crown corporations, educational institutions, NGO's or private professional corporations.”

UVic has been pondering a West Shore presence as has Camosun. A year ago people were guffawing over the thought of government offices in Langford and now its no laughing matter.

Know it all.

#297 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:17 AM

There’s going to be a restaurant atop the lookout tower. That’ll be cool.

those need to be very high end to make money.  do we even have high end restaurants in victoria?  we used to have aerie and i guess deep cove.  harbour house at the harbour even went downscale.  the steak house failed at that boutique hotel.  i don't know.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 August 2020 - 06:17 AM.

#298 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:22 AM

Just make it a Keg and it’ll be crazy popular.

Know it all.

#299 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:27 AM

that's not high end enough.  you have lots of extra costs being a rooftop restaurant.  not the least of which is marketing to let people know and remind them you are there.

a place like frankie's has enough problems getting people to walk up 18 stairs.  even with lots of signage outside and a steady stream of tourists (current situation not withstanding).   a rooftop restaurant in langford better have it figured it out.

you also need special waste handling procedures and extra food storage capacity.  its hard to be a rooftop restaurant and even get 3 deliveries a day.  but at the same time to be high end you want the freshest produce.  it's tricky.

and i'm not sure if we mean rooftop or just "top floor".  i assume the latter.  open air rooftop dining is at best a 30-days-per-year operation around here.  wind.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 August 2020 - 06:31 AM.

#300 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:48 AM

I'm not so sure that Langford needs a high end restaurant at that spot.  The Chemainus Theatre is a good example where with the right management, a theatre can thrive (post Covid).  It has a nice enough restaurant but I wouldn't call it high end.  As far as it being outdoors or indoors, Jacks is a good example of an outdoor / indoor patio.  Outdoor during the summer but glassed in during the winter.  

Haven't heard much about the Goldola up to Mt. Finlayson other than it's a few years out.  If we are to see a high end restaurant on the Westshore, it's more likely to be somewhere like the top of Finlayson once the gondola is in place.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users